New Horse no Brakes ...update

On the Hoof

Visit site
Hi, some while ago I posted about my new and first horse and apparent lack of brakes. I thought I would update those kind enough to give me advice. So firstly I did not put her in working livery as I couldn't bear to share her or possibly ruin her, even though my then current instructor advised that this was the only way to school her (she had been a happy hacker for 8 years and was quite stiff). my YO was fine about it and has been so helpful in giving me advice etc. I changed my instructor and me and my new mare had weekly lessons, nevertheless she wasn't always tolerant of my mistakes and did tank with me a couple of times and on another occasion galloped off with me and we only stopped when I executed a one rein stop. After that I changed the bit to a rubber Pelham which she seemed perfectly happy with and I too had extra lessons on a riding school horse , on the lunge with no reins, to try and ensure I didn't hurt my girl by hanging on the reins.
We have also done lots of groundwork, lunging, spook busting etc and I have to say she is just delightful. So we still have some way to go, but my girl nickers when she hears my car, walks nicely with me to and from the field, no longer panics at my mistakes and I have learned that she does react to my seat and knows perfectly well when I want her to stop..having said that she does get very excited sometimes and can be very strong so I keep the Pelham for hacking, it gives me an added sense of security! I love this girl so much and every day is a delight to be with her. I have to pinch myself each morning to check that I really am that lucky...I think she is my soulmate and I cannot believe she was the very first horse I looked at! Thankyou for reading my self indulgent post and sorry for the length..I believe Its customary to offer refreshments for those that get this far..so it's rhubarb crumble and custard with sweet dessert wine for those that made it.

Fides

Visit site
That's brilliant news that you have come through it. There are few things more satisfying than feeling totally out of your depth but keeping at it, learning and improving. A lot have been there and will know the confidence knocks and blood sweat and tear in getting to that moment. Well done :)

On the Hoof

Visit site
Thankyou for your kind words, I am very very happy with my girl and look forward to riding everyday at the moment, what I love is that for all the work I've put in, this girl has matched that 100% or more once she started to trust me and we have worked together from there. :)

Kaylum

Visit site
Think you are one of the rare people who realise the more work you put in the more you get out and that not every horse is ready made. Well done.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Well done you! It sounds like you've just found out that although it's nice to have a ready made horse, you learn far more from one with an issue or two, and the rewards are just amazing!

Booboos

Visit site
Well done! It's a very good idea to use two different bits. Stick with the pelham that works on hacks and that way you are safe, and then work on her suppleness and responsiveness with another bit in the school. You may find in time you can do away with the pelham altogether but it seems to serve a purpose for now.

On the Hoof

Visit site
Well done! It's a very good idea to use two different bits. Stick with the pelham that works on hacks and that way you are safe, and then work on her suppleness and responsiveness with another bit in the school. You may find in time you can do away with the pelham altogether but it seems to serve a purpose for now.

Thanks I would love to ditch the Pelham completely one day...we will certainly work toward this.