New Horse - "not as described on the tin" !

sjward

Visit site
Just wondered how long new horses have taken to settle in. Had cob for six weeks, tried her out in all conditions, school, roads, hacking three times over a month before purchasing and she was as calm as a kitten, stood rock still to get on, quite strong but good brakes and felt very safe.
From day one she has been very very spooky, can barely get on her for her spinning round and round to avoid, when I am on her she's tanking off, thrown in a few bucks although this seems to have calmed down and is generally very stressy. I know it can take awhile for horses to settle down, I've had all normal things checked and she was 5 staged vetted. I'm 100% sure there was no drugging or under-handedness from seller.
I'm taking things slow and going right back to basics and being very patient with her but I'm baffled at the difference in her and just hope that time and consistency will result in the horse that I tried.
She is here to stay and will be with me forever so we have plenty of time to sort teething troubles out, just wondered if anyone else had experienced this or anyone have some 'kind' advice.

She is an absolute sweetheart on the ground, standing for ages to be groomed and you could put your granny on her if walking in hand.

Thanks.

Alibear

Visit site
It can take them a long time to settle in for some of them and it sounds like you did a very thorough pre purchase check and have got yourself a nice horse.
As she is being so well behaved on the ground it makes me question, are you riding her in the same tack that you tried her with as it seems she's only unsettled when it comes to riding?

ihatework

Visit site
Do you have good communication with the seller? I'd be inclined to ask for their help as presumably, at this stage, they know the horse best. If they are local hopefully they will offer to come over and see the behaviour in action.

sjward

Visit site
The sellers are quite a distance from me so that isn't an option. I've been in contact with them and they haven't been overly helpful. They did say from day one she could be a bit nappy leaving her field companions although I haven't had this problem with her.

SallyBatty

Visit site
You don't say what actual checks have been done so far, so here are a few suggestions from me.

As she is so good on the ground then it would suggest to me that it is probably the tack causing her discomfort. Did she come with the saddle that was used every time you tried her or are you using a different saddle? If you are using a new saddle, was it fitted correctly by a qualified fitter - it not you should get one out to check it. What about the type/thickness of numnah/saddle pad/half pad you are now using compared to what was being used previously? Same goes for the type of bit. Some horses can be very fussy and react in a big way to minor changes.

Other ideas would be have you changed her feed in any way? Is she being stabled more than before? How settled is she with the horses she is turned out with? Or is she in a field on her own now?

Good luck in working out what the issue is and getting it sorted.

KittyH

Visit site
My friend has had a very similar experience with her new cob and after about 3 months he is now pretty much back to the horse she tried. He'd been in his previous home in a private yard for several years and was obviously very stressed by moving to a livery yard with new people and horses, but has settled now. Hopefully yours will soon. Perhaps get an instructor to come to your yard to help you for now?

sjward

Visit site
My friend has had a very similar experience with her new cob and after about 3 months he is now pretty much back to the horse she tried. He'd been in his previous home in a private yard for several years and was obviously very stressed by moving to a livery yard with new people and horses, but has settled now. Hopefully yours will soon. Perhaps get an instructor to come to your yard to help you for now?

Thanks for your reply, pleased to hear someone else has had same experience and come out the other side. I have an instructor at the yard helping me so feeling very positive.

Hugo-Boy

Visit site
Could it have to do with a change in feed? Are you feeding her?

My boy calmed down when I started adding salt to his feed.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Theres no right answer i'm afraid. Some Horses will settle pretty much immediately, others can take several months.

That does sound like quite a drastic behavior change though. Did you get the Horse vetted? did the Horse come with tack or have you now gotten your own?

sjward

Visit site
Could it have to do with a change in feed? Are you feeding her?

My boy calmed down when I started adding salt to his feed.

Thanks for the reply. She is being fed a handfull of grass pellets just to stop her feeling left out when others get their feeds. She seems to enjoy the 'salt lick' so not sure she needs anymore. I have considered a calmer, but deciding which one to start her on is a whole new ball game!!!!!

sjward

Visit site
You don't say what actual checks have been done so far, so here are a few suggestions from me.

As she is so good on the ground then it would suggest to me that it is probably the tack causing her discomfort. Did she come with the saddle that was used every time you tried her or are you using a different saddle? If you are using a new saddle, was it fitted correctly by a qualified fitter - it not you should get one out to check it. What about the type/thickness of numnah/saddle pad/half pad you are now using compared to what was being used previously? Same goes for the type of bit. Some horses can be very fussy and react in a big way to minor changes.

Other ideas would be have you changed her feed in any way? Is she being stabled more than before? How settled is she with the horses she is turned out with? Or is she in a field on her own now?

Good luck in working out what the issue is and getting it sorted.

Thank you for reply. I've had back, teeth, vet and saddle checked. I bought the same saddle that she was previously ridden in although getting checked again considering changing if necessary. Going through your suggestions and yes she is stabled more than before and whilst not in a field on her own she is out with fewer companions than before. There is a lot of settling in for her to do and I'm not expecting it to be quick just want to help her to feel happier.

sjward

Visit site
Theres no right answer i'm afraid. Some Horses will settle pretty much immediately, others can take several months.

That does sound like quite a drastic behavior change though. Did you get the Horse vetted? did the Horse come with tack or have you now gotten your own?

Horse was 5 staged vetted. Didn't come with tack but I bought exactly the same as she was ridden in. I'm getting saddle checked again as obviously although same make and model may be sitting differently as its new.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Did you have bloods taken when the vetting took place? If so you could ask for them to be tested? not sure how long they keep them for though.

sjward

Visit site
Did you have bloods taken when the vetting took place? If so you could ask for them to be tested? not sure how long they keep them for though.

I did have bloods taken but I’m not at point of getting them checked as I’m 100% sure nothing dodgy with seller.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We bought an 8 yr old mare, many years ago, she was an angel when tried at the EC where she was on sales livery. We put her in a RS/livery yard and she was a nappy nightmare. We did have to get the vet after about 4 weeks, as she had a nasal infection - that might have been brewing I suppose but I doubt that it caused all the problems.
After 6 weeks there we moved her to a different yard, we led her there and genuinely thought just before 1/2 way that we might have to put her in a field along the way and give us all a breathing space. We managed to keep hold of her and after going along a bridlepath through a farm-yard, she calmed down to the point where we could safely take her across a busy main road, which we had been dreading.
She settled at the new yard and although she was never easy, she was like a different animal. 10 yrs later, we moved her for a short time to a friend's farm and then brought her to our now home, she settled well in each new yard and was eventually pts at home aged 31.
The trouble is there are loads of things, including change, which can unsettle a horse and it can take a lot of unpicking to work out just what the problem is.
I have known horses, who have been nowhere near as difficult as the one I mentioned above, take up to two years to feel as if they have settled in. Others seem as though they have never been anywhere else.

sjward

Visit site
We bought an 8 yr old mare, many years ago, she was an angel when tried at the EC where she was on sales livery. We put her in a RS/livery yard and she was a nappy nightmare. We did have to get the vet after about 4 weeks, as she had a nasal infection - that might have been brewing I suppose but I doubt that it caused all the problems.
After 6 weeks there we moved her to a different yard, we led her there and genuinely thought just before 1/2 way that we might have to put her in a field along the way and give us all a breathing space. We managed to keep hold of her and after going along a bridlepath through a farm-yard, she calmed down to the point where we could safely take her across a busy main road, which we had been dreading.
She settled at the new yard and although she was never easy, she was like a different animal. 10 yrs later, we moved her for a short time to a friend's farm and then brought her to our now home, she settled well in each new yard and was eventually pts at home aged 31.
The trouble is there are loads of things, including change, which can unsettle a horse and it can take a lot of unpicking to work out just what the problem is.
I have known horses, who have been nowhere near as difficult as the one I mentioned above, take up to two years to feel as if they have settled in. Others seem as though they have never been anywhere else.

Your so right. I’m not expecting any miracle answers. It’s a huge change for her and I’d never underestimate that just want to do what I can to settle her in make sure she’s happy.

sjward

Visit site
Did she travel a long way to you?

A new saddle will feel different to her old one, so that would be a good place to start.

It was about 100 miles. She was perfect on the journey barely moved but was very sweaty when we took her off horse box. It was obviously stressful for her. Fortunately I’m a happy hacker with a few local shows if we wanted so no plans to ever put her through a long journey again.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
less turnout will probably be a factor, the seller may have had her out 24/7 so to be stabled even for a short time could affect her temperament..could be that she was out all night and bought in just before you arrived so she would be quieter......maybe after you have had the saddle checked by a qualified saddler try to lunge her for about 20 mins before you ride so she has got any spooks and bucks out of her system...my old mare was very spooky and scary to ride but after i moved her to a yard with 24/7 turnout she changed dramatically. she was still nutty but was more manageable and less scary...6 weeks is a very short time for her to get used to all of the changes and mares can be very sensitive so be patient and good luck

claret09

Visit site
some horses like us hate change. my boy certainly does - I have had him eleven years and moved him four times. he is an absolute nightmare to move - I have had him break stable fronts, jump out of fields, jump up and down on the trailer. - he is just incredibly anxious. however, once in the right place and settled his is angelic. he has also taken many years to be really rideable - judges now seem to love him (he is very mannerly - but he certainly hasn't always been like that - he used to plant for England). I have had some excellent instructors over the years and that has made a massive difference. I would suggest you find an instructor who understands both you and your horse and your objectives. that will really help. you will feel more confident with someone you trust on the ground and as a consequence your horse will feel safer and therefore more trusting.

honetpot

Visit site
We moved yards after about five years of being in the same place. We had five at the time and two out of the five went nutty, one I couldn't get in the stable without a battle for 3months. We had gone from a very quiet enclosed yard with fields that were enclosed to somewhere completely open, with few hedges, the yard was open and a fair amount of people. Even the lovely school was something they hated, to human eyes it looked perfect and a huge improvement on the small deep school we had been using, but this open oasis had monsters at every corner.
I think mares can be more sensitive, if she is still finding her place or has lost a companion that adds extra stress. I would try doing the same thing every day in the same place, she is obviously happy on the yard, so perhaps hacking with a buddy?

Goldenstar

Visit site
The term not as described is best used to describe horses who have issues you have not been told about .
For instance the horses is sold as sound but then turns out to have a long term issue .Op try to think about it like this why can't I get this horse to behave as it behaved in its last home you saw it with your own eyes when you tried it .
My cure for horses who don't settle in a new home is very simple work and lots of it until they are longing for a sleep .
I would look at upping your work and perhaps paying someone to exercise as well as ride yourself .

torzay

Visit site
Hi, I moved my horse after being on 1 yard for many years, the difference in him was significant. It took him about 6 months to settle back to his usual 'chilled' out mode. He was given the same food, same exercise routine etc...I hadn't realised the difference a new yard would make, but it did. I persevered with him and we got here in the end...a big lesson learnt.

Orangehorse

Visit site
The term not as described is best used to describe horses who have issues you have not been told about .
For instance the horses is sold as sound but then turns out to have a long term issue .Op try to think about it like this why can't I get this horse to behave as it behaved in its last home you saw it with your own eyes when you tried it .
My cure for horses who don't settle in a new home is very simple work and lots of it until they are longing for a sleep .
I would look at upping your work and perhaps paying someone to exercise as well as ride yourself .

What I would say. If someone is selling a horse they are doing everything they can to make it a sellable animal, including probably riding it every day and not feeding it much either - the typical regime for dealers.

Sure, find out that everything fits OK and there are no physical problems and then work, work and more work.

Adonissaan

Visit site
Sometimes horses can completely change when their environment does.

When I was younger I got a Highland pony who was going to be my perfect pony club pony! Tried him loads he was amazing.

Took him home and he was never the same and became very naughty - we thought it was something to do with him being in a big herd to a much smaller one.

sjward

Visit site
Sometimes horses can completely change when their environment does.

When I was younger I got a Highland pony who was going to be my perfect pony club pony! Tried him loads he was amazing.

Took him home and he was never the same and became very naughty - we thought it was something to do with him being in a big herd to a much smaller one.

You could be right I have no way of knowing if my mare came from a big herd or not. Happily she appears to be starting to settle down and is becoming more the horse I tried.

JDH01

Visit site
I have now bought at least 2 if not 3 horses all privately which have been a challenge at around the 3-6 month period. This has mainly manifested through quite impressive napping! My answer is lunging and long reining to voice and lessons, lessons, lessons to challenge you and them. Current chap has got over himself and is now exactly as described when I bought him. He was a much loved and very spoilt chap who had learnt how to get out of work!