New horse not eating

SusieT

Visit site
It's been a while since I've had a new one in, and this mare isn't settling brilliantly!
She's civil in hand, haven't ridden yet due to the weather, been turned out next to the rest during the day(can't go in with them). And in the stable at night, but can't see the horse next to her.
Thinking it might be best just to leave her out (rugged and unclipped) with hay, as she isn't eating really at all in the stable, although she'll finish the hard feed.
Thoughts? Tips on settling? Not had one before that was not eating!

HollyP

Visit site
Are there other horses out overnight? It might be better for the first week or three to leave her out so she can get to grips with her surroundings and slowly build up her place of safety in the stable...would have been better in the summer! Always is!

smile.gif
otherwise give her lots of options to eat and see which she suits best!

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
ITs like the whole child won't eat situation! They now say that as long as the child eats, even if it is only marmite on toast, give them that!
I would treat the mare with the attitude! If she'll eat out in the paddock, then put her out with hay etc. Bring her in on the yard (not in her stable) and give her a feed/haynet, and gradually move her to the stable.
I know its horrid weather, but she would survive it better rugged up and eating outside, than in her stable and not eating!

Good Luck!!

Visit site
She will be fine outside if she is rugged and hayed. It is much better to have a fed horse than a hungry horse especially in this cold weather.

SusieT

Visit site
problem now irrelevant as horse has behaved badly enough to be returned to sender so to speak, works best for all I think.

Visit site
Sorry you had to return your horse. if this situation happens again a great product that gets new horses drinking is a new product called Horse Quencher (google it). I use it on all my new liveries, it gets them drinking here straight away. I also use it to prevent colic at this time of the year and take it to shows and travelling in the summer, often when horses stop drinking and dehydration can then set in. Good luck with the next horse!