New horse not interested in people? Ideas what to do?

shadowboy

Visit site
My OH has bought an ex racer that's been in a hacking/RC home for 4 years (apparently) he arrived on the 18th may. My OH had a 4 year old cob previous to this but he never grew big enough so my OH used to feel a bit big on him. So he opted for a 16.3hh 15 year old that was sold as a 'first horse' even though it wasn't actually his first we thought it would be a safer bet and he could learn to hunt/cross country on it etc etc. well since arriving the horse has no interest in people. He won't even look at a person approaching him or handling him- its odd ice never experienced anything like it! He's not too bothered about horses either - I tied my boy up next to him in the wash bay to keep new horse company but he reared up and broke free and ran off onto the parking area where there was no one. He is constantly staring into the distance and even when in the stable just has head up locked onto something far far away. He cannot be tied up against a wall as if he can't stare at something in the distance he panics and rears or will shake or as he did the other day spook so badly that he fell over! Even when lunged his ears don't follow the person lunging him but his head turns out and ears fix onto things in the distance. To be honest he's an absolute odd ball and I'm worried about his manner and how safe he will be out hacking as he has no interest in the human attached to the lead rope. He wasn't like this when we tried him. Not sure if he's unsettled by the move or if this is his true manner- the only reason I think this is that during the 10 days he has been here he's only got worse in the 'staring' put it this way the farrier couldnt shoe him as he kept snatching his feet out of his hands (so will need sedating)whilst snatching was gazing off to the fields far and beyond. It was almost like he was getting angry we were obstructing his view so got snatchy with his feet. Anyone got any ideas of what we can try or any stories of similar horses that have or haven't improved?

Silmarillion

Visit site
Sounds like mine was for the first six months of my having him. We were told he would occasionally spin round and run off in-hand, but within a month he had been perfect hacking but we mostly either couldn't catch him or could catch him but then not hold onto him. He was bargy, ignorant of humans, and totally disinterested. He, like yours, would stare into the distance and get such a bee in his bonnet about things he could (or couldn't) see. He didn't want food from humans, even. I'm not saying he was wild, he'd do as you asked but only if he was staying with you that day.

My first thought was to buy a chifney, but I really didn't want to use it so I sought help with our leading instead. I've worked with horses and never had a problem with them before, but the lady I got out to help took an hour to teach us to approach and lead him differently so he'd want to stay with humans instead of spinning and bolting. He's completely different now! He's a normal, and actually very affectionate and interested horse. He'll follow me round the field now, for no real reason! He will stand tied up and he'll even not spin and run when he sees scary deer in the woods.

If you're anywhere near the New Forest (on my phone so I can't see your details) I'd highly recommend Sarah Weston. If not, she may be able to recommend someone in your area.

Ultimately, ten days isn't long for him to settle. I'd put it down to notbeing settled in his home yet, or with you. Give him time and patience :)

Rebels

Visit site
I've had a few do that when they arrived and put it down to them going into survival mode. They are a pita to handle but do settle though usually the next stage is separation from a new friend.

LuckyRed

Visit site
I'll second Silmarillions recommendation to contact Sarah Weston and see if either she is close enough to help you herself or can recommend someone in your area - I've seen her work with horses and she's firm but fair and the horses seemed to recognise her as a person to look to for 'leadership'.

Where abouts in the country are you?

this is the contact page of Sarah Westons website

http://www.logicalhorsemanship.co.uk/?page_id=227

Nudibranch

Visit site
I would agree he needs more time to settle. Staring into the distance is survival instinct, he still feels insecure. He doesn't know anyone or anything yet and if he's a sensitive horse he is withdrawing. Give him more time, 10 days is nothing. I had a TB mare (ex racer) who took about 3 months to settle properly. Before then she was a complete pain; nappy, sharp, always spooking at something but once she settled and relaxed she was great. Never a friendly mare but much calmer.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I've had a few do that when they arrived and put it down to them going into survival mode.

This - the staring off into the distance isn't disinterest in humans - it's more humans wont eat me, so I don't need to worry about them, but other stuff out there might eat me so I'm keeping a look out for predators.

Goldenstar

Visit site
What did the seller tell you about his behaviour with the farrier ?
How did he behave when you tried him?
Was he vetted?
What had he been doing directly before you bought him.
The first thing I would is get him into a strict roultine where you do the same things at the same time every day.
On the farrier thing I would find out who was shoeing before and talk to them.

windand rain

Visit site
He needs time I have a pony that took 3 months to accept a new rider and she didnt move house. She was as good as gold to ride but the new girl couldnt get near her in the field and she would turn her head if she offered her food or while tacking up. I am sure he will settle eventually he just needs to build up his trust in his new surroundings

cornbrodolly

Visit site
We have a horse like this - bought for me, but OH , a prof horseman, took 6 months to make him sane out hacking . OH does Med dressage with him - he s containable in the arena and 99% sane there ,but cant show him , hunt him etc , as he just loses it at times. These horses when this extreme , should never be sold as a 'first horse'. Yours was probably sedated or taken off water. At least we knew we were buying a very difficult horse!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
These horses when this extreme , should never be sold as a 'first horse'. Yours was probably sedated or taken off water. At least we knew we were buying a very difficult horse!

What???

This horse has done nothing to indicate he's not been sold as described.

Scaremongering much.....:confused:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
He is in a very stressed state at the moment, so I'm not surprised that he wouldn't stand for the Farrier. Remember what he was like at his old home, as this will be how he becomes when he feels safe and settled in his new home.

I wouldn't sedate him for shoeing. Can the Farrier pull the shoes and then reshoe him at a later date (when he's calmer). For now, you need to just get him settled. So get a routine going. Turn out with his new herd mates, bring in for a quick feed/groom/check and then turn out again (or stable at night). As long as you can catch, lead and check that he's ok with no drama, stick to that for a few days. Tie him where he's happiest, don't leave him alone - basically set yourself up for success.

PS. Some horses can become so stressed in a new home that they can't even eat their hard feeds - is your boy this bad?

Visit site
I have an ex-racer, I got him off the track in September last year and he is very similar (well...was...he's improving by the day!) I used to watch him standing looking into the distance, he used to look completely bewildered then have a random outburst! he too was shut off, he didn't really know what praise was, wasn't interested by carrots or cuddles, had no real sense of spacial awareness; I felt sorry for him, there was something very robotic about him. It's the lifestyle they lead, they're not mis-treated, they're just not 'pets' and are handled and ridden by hundreds of different people in a very rigid routine. I wondered whether he would ever change it was difficult to establish a bond with a horse that simply saw me as 'just another person'. I read allsorts, I read about post traumatic stress in racers and that they mentally switch off to cope with the level of stress required to perform, I read they're insane (I can assure you 99% aren't they're ridiculously intelligent don't be fooled by the 'bimbo' act!) I read alot on ROR which gave a lot of reassurance that I was doing things right just needed to be a little more patient and understanding. Honestly...bags of patience, a bit of research and i'm sure you will come out with the most loving hardworking horse you'd ever hope to own. Every single behaviour displayed by my lad turns out to be ''typical'' I took for granted how much his life was thrown upside down every aspect has changed not just a new yard and owner. It's very tough, i've cried, i've said to my partner several times I can't cope and it's never going to work, I've felt frustrated even a bit frightened at times but being consistent has paid off, he's now very well behaved (although he has his moments!) he'll hack alone he's a little spooky and edgy/nappy when he sees others so we stick to very basic routes at the moment and don't go too far, he's great in company and on the roads, if you ever want to throw some questions my way you're welcome :) Good luck and hope this makes you feel a little better, he'll settle down i'm sure.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I completely agree with Amymay all this can be easily explained bu simple things nothing Op has said would suggest a seller has been dishonest here.

Rebels

Visit site
Out of my worst lot I've had one that didn't eat or drink for 48 hours as he would have had to have stopped weaving to do that. He was turned out asap and weaved in the field for about 3 months. He also attacked any horse he could get too, had to be led on a bridle and chain , ran you over lunging etc etc. Took nearly 6 months to calm!
My mare refused to stand anywhere, be tied or tacked up and was hysterical if not 2inches from her new friend. She is a dope now, only took a month.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Originally Posted by cornbrodolly
These horses when this extreme , should never be sold as a 'first horse'. Yours was probably sedated or taken off water. At least we knew we were buying a very difficult horse!

What???

This horse has done nothing to indicate he's not been sold as described.

Scaremongering much.....:confused:

I have to agree with AM. My chestnut mare got very stressed when she moved yards. Wouldn't eat her feeds, box walked, unsettled in the field, stared into the distance, napped etc... however I knew that she hadn't been doped or had water withheld because I already owned her (so she even had the person that she was used to around). She did return to her normal self but it took time (3 or 4 months before she was pretty much back to her old self).

I then moved her again (a few years later) and she settled straight away this time, but the difference was that her field mates came too.

Brightbay

Visit site
I have an ex-racer, I got him off the track in September last year and he is very similar (well...was...he's improving by the day!) I used to watch him standing looking into the distance, he used to look completely bewildered then have a random outburst! he too was shut off, he didn't really know what praise was, wasn't interested by carrots or cuddles, had no real sense of spacial awareness; I felt sorry for him, there was something very robotic about him. It's the lifestyle they lead, they're not mis-treated, they're just not 'pets' and are handled and ridden by hundreds of different people in a very rigid routine. I wondered whether he would ever change it was difficult to establish a bond with a horse that simply saw me as 'just another person'. I read allsorts, I read about post traumatic stress in racers and that they mentally switch off to cope with the level of stress required to perform, I read they're insane (I can assure you 99% aren't they're ridiculously intelligent don't be fooled by the 'bimbo' act!) I read alot on ROR which gave a lot of reassurance that I was doing things right just needed to be a little more patient and understanding. Honestly...bags of patience, a bit of research and i'm sure you will come out with the most loving hardworking horse you'd ever hope to own. Every single behaviour displayed by my lad turns out to be ''typical'' I took for granted how much his life was thrown upside down every aspect has changed not just a new yard and owner. It's very tough, i've cried, i've said to my partner several times I can't cope and it's never going to work, I've felt frustrated even a bit frightened at times but being consistent has paid off, he's now very well behaved (although he has his moments!) he'll hack alone he's a little spooky and edgy/nappy when he sees others so we stick to very basic routes at the moment and don't go too far, he's great in company and on the roads, if you ever want to throw some questions my way you're welcome :) Good luck and hope this makes you feel a little better, he'll settle down i'm sure.

Lovely post. Your horse is very lucky to have found you :)

OP, this will be you too, just give the horse time :) At the moment, he's in self-protection mode. He's so worried about his own survival, he can't stop scanning the horizon for dangers. He's probably been told off (or at the very least strongly discouraged) from interacting with people before - so it's too risky to try to be friendly. In his hyped up watchfulness, he will probably even feel threatened by other horses. Once things start to become predictable and familiar, he will start to settle. Might be worth adding something to his feed to support his gut - this is exactly the type of stress that releases the stress hormones that are associated with ulcers in horses.

There's a horse with a similar background who shares the field with mine. It's taken a long time for him to open up even a little, and he still dislikes people touching him (so we don't unless really necessary - a pat for him isn't nice, so we just stand near him and talk quietly to him).

ilvpippa

Visit site
Mine was not at all bothered by humans when I had her, bred & polo pony in Argentina. So all se was interested in is herself. She tolerates cuddles & scratches & loves her head being brushed. Try find his tickle spots, might help him bond with you :)

oldie48

Visit site
It is very early days. One of mine was pretty robotic for a week, then started to get bargy and although OK to ride didn't want to go forward. he'd just shut down. It took several months for him to accept a change in home and owner and I realised that actually he's just a sensitive horse who doesn't adapt quickly to change. Perhaps just give your horse time?

shmoo

Visit site
Mine was not at all bothered by humans when I had her, bred & polo pony in Argentina. So all se was interested in is herself. She tolerates cuddles & scratches & loves her head being brushed. Try find his tickle spots, might help him bond with you :)

My loany pony is an ex-polo girl. When we first got her she looked through us, ignored us, basically we were invisible. Just there.

It took her a few months to develop her character - which is delightful and very cheeky - and let her personality show through.

My (very inexpert) opinion is that she lived / worked a part of her herd and due to the nature of her previous job was content to be just part of that herd. Taking her away from it sort of forced the issue of her coming into herself and opening up. I don't think they choose to live with humans, well some might do but probably less so those with 'jobs' than horses born & bred into private one on one homes.

Probably waffle, but it's what I think. I'd give it more time, feed, cuddle, tickle spots, carrot stretches, grooming all touchy feely things will help I'm sure.x.

Nicnac

Visit site
Give him lots of time and a strict routine. He's incredibly anxious and internalising - make sure you give him lots of forage as could be at risk of ulcers in this state.

My TB had to go into full livery from home last year (ex-racer owned for 8 years) when I lost my mare as he can't be left on his own. It's a lovely small private yard and all horses are incredibly happy there. He turned into a different horse. Incredibly anxious, difficult, uncooperative, nappy, etc. etc. Wouldn't engage with me, pulled back, dicked around for farrier.

I brought him back home after 2 months when I'd bought my new horse and he settled back down after a week or so into my lovely, cuddly, human-loving boy.

Firewell

Visit site
Poor boy, he just hasn't settled. He was in his old home for 4yrs and you have had him 10 days.
Your going to have to be understanding, get him into a routine and crack on with him. Don't get cross with him just be quiet and firm and get on with stuff.
I moved my late TB mare yards and she was a flippin nightmare, galloping and throwing herself round the field, her box and being a complete nightmare. However she was mine so I knew it was just her getting settled. I just cracked on with working her and doing what we always did and she was back to her normal well behaved self in about 4 weeks.
Current TB is a real cool dude but even he went a bit strange when I moved him to a new yard after being at his old one for two years. He went quiet and into himself a bit, his personality went for a while where he was protecting himself and that's with me still owning him.
They can be sensitive, they aren't machines. Especially TB's they are clever and think and react more than cobby types. I bet once you get to know him and he you he will start to shine.

shadowboy

Visit site
I'm on my phone so prob will have loads of typos! He's out 24/7 but come up to the yard for a feed 2x a day but I can't really set the hours as it depends if its me or the OH who feeds him/ does his rugs. He is very fibre based as I was determined to keep starch down to a minimum so he has 500grm fast fibre, half scoop happy hoof and a handful of spellers conditioning cubes. He also gets mint to encourage him to eat; pro hoof and happy tummy charcoal.

Regarding the shoeing and not having them done I'm afraid it has to be done as his back feet are in such a state there is a crack that needs gluing together and farrier needs him to stand quietly for 30min to prevent crack splitting to the coronet band.

He's not interested in other horses either - regarding what other have said about field mates.
What I am worried about is how dangerous his reactions are when the kids are up the yard- he's nearly knocked one flying when he shot off after being tied up- I would hate to endanger a child walking about on the yard.
He wasn't vetted as the vetting£520 inc bloods was nearly as expensive as him £850 (knocked down from £1200) so we took a punt and we thought at his age and with the work he's done he'd probably fail anyway!

We will give him time but I. Have to bear in mind the safety of all the other children and ponies on the yard so I would like to see some degree of improvement soon as there are some verry worried looking mums when I lead this giant; highly spooky beast onto the yard!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We will give him time but I. Have to bear in mind the safety of all the other children and ponies on the yard so I would like to see some degree of improvement soon as there are some verry worried looking mums when I lead this giant; highly spooky beast onto the yard!

Perhaps move to a more adult orientated yard?

Goldenstar

Visit site
He's a TB some are spooky and sharp .
You don't know if he can see properly.
TB thrive on roultine especially in stress situations , you must get him roultine .
Do not tie him up on the yard always tie up in a stable until he's settled and safe lead him him in a bridle when there are people around.
You must spend time daily handling the legs and feet.

shadowboy

Visit site
Hi amymay- I don't want leave the yard I've been here for 18 months and love it here - horse walker; 5 furlong gallops and floodlit 30x40 school so everything I would want. There are adults her I would say its 50:50 adults and children liverying here so I have to remember that there are children as young as 8 leading their ponies about.

Hi goldenstar - we do his feet every day when we rug change but he doesn't have a stable as he's on grass livery he has a field shelter but obviously feeding him in there would not be sensible as his field buddies would get in the way and to be honest would not help him get used to the yard. If he is naturally spooky and sharp then he's not a first horse really so I'm hoping this is not the case as my OH has only been riding 4 years we picked him because he was described as not your typical TB!!

Will do out best with routine but as I say it will be dictated by who does him me or the OH (if he's working from home the OH sorts him as its his horse but if he's working from the office 120mile trip then I sort him on my way to and from work so the times of day will very somewhat unfortunately)