New Horse Settling in.

Visit site
I have a new horse ?? So excited!!
My absolute dream - newly backed rising 5 year old appaloosa! I'm going to pick him up tomorrow (i'm not sure is I should travel him loose, take another horse or just go and get him?)
I had originally planned to get him to the yard and let him settle into his new surroundings for a week or so before riding him but my yard manager says I should ride him as soon as I get him home? I've checked the weather and that looks ok but i'm worried I won't have that time to bond and build a partnership before our ridden relationship takes off. Any advice would be most welcome, i'm a new member so this is really useful!

StretchyBetty

New User
Visit site
So excited for you, what type of Appaloosa is he? Maybe see how he settles in the first day and go from there. My friend had an Appaloosa and he was a real cheeky monkey!

Batgirl

Visit site
I'm with your yard manager. A bond can be developed but horses need routine and riding is part of that, riding IMO often helps horses settle as it helps them focus on you and not the surrounds for a bit.

I've always started working with mine day 2 (with one I rode him the day he arrived)

stormox

Visit site
I wouldnt take another horse, he mightnt like it and theres no getting away in a trailer.
I would play it by ear- I would give him the rest of the day to acclimatise and if he looks settled the following day no harm in giving him a lunge and sitting up.

be positive

Visit site
Thank you ? Should I lunge or not just hop on? I haven't seen him being lunged with his previous owners?

I would ask what routine he is in and try to stick to it as best you can, if he was sensible when you tried him and not generally lunged before getting on then see how he seems once he arrives and be guided by his attitude, if you have not bought him with tack you may have a bit of a task sorting out a suitable saddle so bear that in mind with your planning.
I have cracked on with some, often the day they arrive, rarely leave for any more than 24 hours without doing something constructive and usually find they quickly settle in if they are kept in work.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The first thing I want to say is that he is your horse, so decide for yourself how you wish to proceed and don't let YO sway you. I personally don't ride a new horse until I've got it into a routine, it is very unlikely that any horse of mine will be ridden every day and as we have no arena, I want the horse to know where home is if we part company while hacking.
We have had 3 Appaloosa mares and they have all had different temperaments. How did you find his temperament when you tried him?

fiveleafclover21

New User
Visit site
I'm surprised at all the responses advising to hop straight on! When I got my horse I spent a month doing ground work and just getting our bond established on the ground, and we went on plenty of in-hand hacks so that by the time I started riding him he was completely relaxed.
I would take it really slowly and just spend the first week grooming him and getting him used to you.