New Horse - sort of - I've just bought my share horse!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So, Jacob's owner offered him to me to buy today and I have accepted, I am now - after two years - once again a horse owner! Excited and slightly nervous all at the same time! A lot of people here have seen him before as I have posted about him a fair bit in the few months I have been sharing him but I thought I would do a new thread, full of photos, and a full introduction.

Jacob is a giant 18.3hh 10yo Westphalian, his breeding has Showmaker x Ritmeister x Wendekreis (not that I know anything about those lines so any knowledge welcome!).

He really is such a lovely horse, although lacking in some manners on the ground which we will be working on first and foremost! Nothing horrendous, just not as respectful of your personal space as I would like for a horse his size! He isn't into jumping really, but then neither am I, but he has good natural paces for Dressage - and this is thankfully my area of interest really! He was produced as a youngster, but hasn't had much done since so needs taking back and bringing onreally, for his benefit and mine. His previous owner bought him from the field a few years ago at a hunting dealers, no idea how he ended up there!

He is also great fun to hack, not everyone's cup of tea as he has got a good tantrum in him and is one of the hottest and most sensitive horses I've ever ridden, but that's just my cup of tea! He is great fun to have a blast round the countryside as he is a gent in the areas that matter, I can now pull him up from a gallop with just my seat.

Luckily I already bought his tack for him a couple of months ago, but I must now get hay, feed, bedding and the like, all things you don't have to think about when sharing! If anyone has any tips on things I need to put on my to do list then please let me know! My mind is going at about 100mph. Livery already sorted thankfully.

So below is a video I have posted before, and a few photos of him and I (one where we got caught in a hailstorm and came back looking like two drowned rats!!)

Congratulations! I have only just seen this thread,

He is a very handsome horse! Your comment about him not being a jumper made me laugh. One of the best, most characterful horses I have ever had was a papered 16hh Westphalian Kaltblut - the original mares that were out-crossed to produce the Warmbloods. She point-blank refused to have anything to do with jumping, to the point of kicking poles on the ground aside as if to say 'Who left there, in my way'. I used to think it was partly because of her massive shoulders in a treed saddle but she was just the same in a treeless - she just didn't ever intend to jump! She always seemed perfectly comfortable stepping over/up anything we came across when out and about hacking.

Enjoy your new horse!