New Horse, things arent going so well :(

Firewell

Visit site
So after my last post where I said how finally my new horses schooling is coming together, today we have a setback.

I think I mentioned that he could be spooky schooling and he has shot off before, broncing and nearly unseating me. I just put that down to high jinks however and he has been fine. Hes a very laidback and easy horse to look after and hack out.

Well today he spooked and shot off across the school again twice. The first time I thought 'oh well, just being a naughty horse'. Second time involved a rather large cat leap, some broncing and quite a bit of gallop before I managed to pull him up. Im used to riding sharp horses and it takes a lot to unseat me but he nearly had me off and I felt really shaken
frown.gif

He seems to be much worse on the right rein, which is his most supple rein. Now I dont know if hes trying it on and being naughty or if there is a reason behind it. He lacks a lot of topline and hasnt been schooled for 2 years. Ive been taking it slowly only doing 20 mins, 3 times a week and most of that is suppling in walk with some trot and the odd canter. Im not exactly pushing him.

The reason I brought him is because I wanted something laidback and easy to complement my sharp, sensitive TB. However even when my TB is sharp she would never cat leap, bronc and pee off with me. Ive nealy fallen off my new horse twice now in 3 weeks, more times than my TB (whome ive had for 4 years and never fallen off of, touch wood).

I didnt want something with behaviour or health issues and he passed a 5 stage vetting 3 weeks ago so hes not unlevel, got a sore back, bad teeth or anything.

I dont really want to get back on him in the school now. Im experienced and will stick it out when a horse misbehaves but Im not the bravest rider and I dont want to ride something that doesnt care if i fall off. I feel really despondant. I can ride, I am experienced but that doesnt mean I want a tricky horse. I want an easy plod.
My Tb is sensitive to handle, bad to shoe, load ect and can be fizzy but shes 100% safe and would NEVER buck, bolt, rear, catleap ect ect. However she'll never be the sort of horse you can drag to a show and have a relaxing day, shes too highly strung.

I dont know what to do with my new horsie. Im hacking him tomorrow with a friend and I may book a lesson before I next go in the school to see what they think. Just want a nice, easy horse is that too much to ask??
frown.gif
Am i being unfair on him? what do you think?

DipseyDeb

Visit site
Oh poor you, it's not been an easy time. Maybe it could just be that he is in a little discomfort.
BTW I've not been on much, what happened about the dealer and your money?

Firewell

Visit site
Nearly there with the delaer and the money. Hopefully I get the last instalment of what she owes me monday. Fingers crossed!
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
Could you ask someone else to ride him to see if he behaves the same way? Might also be handy to have a different view of what he is doing, from the ground.
Do you think he is just protesting to the schooling?

0ldmare

Visit site
Poor you, its particularly horrible when it goes wrong with a new horse as you just dont know if its out of character or not! Is it worth getting the physio to check him over? Seems odd that his bad behaviour seems to be triggered more on one rein than the other. Might be worth a go?

Firewell

Visit site
St bernard, that is a good idea. I also do wonder if he is protesting to the schooling work. I wondered if he might be finding it difficult and trying to evade? Its still not a nice reaction though and i was only trotting down the long side. Its also got me thinking is that why he hasnt been schooled for so long!

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Definitely book a couple of lessons before the next time you school him or take a confident friend who you trust. He's probably trying you on so sit tight and be confident!! If possible, get your instructor to ride him to see if they can feel anything not quite right.
Stick with it for a bit longer and hopefully he'll come right!

Blizzard

Visit site
That was my first thought, him perhaps thinking...hmm not liking this concentrating circling malarky!
smile.gif

Also can you take him for a hack and try doing the same schooling while hacking (in a safe place!)...and see his reaction then?

Firewell

Visit site
He probably coluld do wih being seen by a back man. When he was vetted the Vet gave his back a good old poke and he didnt appear to be sore anywhere. You never know though i guess...

frb

Visit site
Oh poor you. It may be, if he has not been properly schooled for a long time, that, even if you are not asking much of im, you asking him to use unfit muscles again is making him react adversely, and he is just trying to evade working correctly. My horse if i push him to step under and carry himself in canter will throw in the odd buck in canter out of temper, as he finds using himself properly is hard work!
I would have a few lessons, and get a good instructor to have a sit on and see.
Good luck, i truly hope he is just being a brat and can be sorted. If not, go back to the dealer. Keep us updated.

mattilda

Visit site
I spent the first 2 months with my new horse hanging on by my fingertips. He would throw himself about in the school and out hacking, he was never trying to get me off but really spooky and....well mental!! He has now settled down and. although he still has his moments he is a much nicer horse to get on. Still a nutter to turn out though! It may be he needs time to settle and get used to you.

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He probably coluld do wih being seen by a back man. When he was vetted the Vet gave his back a good old poke and he didnt appear to be sore anywhere. You never know though i guess...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm def worth getting a physio to have a look at him
smile.gif

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Did his saddle come with him? Or are you using one that you had previously? Sorry if you've had it made to measure! Sometimes when you are asking for more the saddle seems to become more uncomfortable - might be worth getting it checked.

canteron

Visit site
Ok, I may be a wimp, but if it was me before there is too many sleepless nights and possible broken bones I would think carefully about finding someone who has lots of experience in retraining/breaking, etc to help. I genuinely think it is cheaper in the long run to get someone really expert to advise and help you find a way forward. It can be a vicious circle once your confidence starts to go and you find yourself landed with a horse that is difficult to find a good home for.

In the past when I found myself with a truly difficult horse (it was a gourgeous looking show cob) I got help from an ex-jockey who now does a lot of retraining of racehorses. In that instant he said that the horse was cold backed and from that had learnt how effective broncing could be if as an evasion.

Although I lost money overall, we decided he would always be too much hard work and strong minded for me, so after retraining (masses of hard work on the lunge, over fences and absolutely consistent 'dominant' handling) the horse went to a knowledgeable home and has done OK.

flowerlady

Visit site
I was going to ask about the saddle but more for the reason when I bought my 17.1 he was fine when I tried him but she wouldn't let the saddle go as she'd had it specially made with extra long skirt because she was so tall. Any way I bought another saddle (second hand) it seemed fine at first fitting wise. Any way every now and then when I asked for canter or we reached grass he went bonkers. I rang her and she asked what I was doing to him as he has never done that said she'd come and see him and ride him to see what the problem might be (she never turned up). Anyway I didn't like the saddle that much so had another saddle fitter out and asked if they'd take my second hand saddle as p/x he said yes. So when he turned up with a van load of new saddles he had a look at mine for quite a while he said it fits him ok why do you want to swop it I said I didn't like it and explained problem I was having he said let me have another look at it. Said he thought it had an airline crack that could be why horse was playing up as it would be nipping him. I opened it up as couldn't sell it if it had and yes it had a very slight crack on in the tree.
mad.gif

After that had 11 years of fun with no problems
grin.gif

Firewell

Visit site
To be honest, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and I will get him checked out and have some lessons ect but im not putting in any more effort than that. Ive already sold 4 years of my life to one unsuitable (but much loved) horse. Im not doing it again! If its not something thats straightforward to fix hes on a one way ticket out of my life! I know thats harsh but he was meant to be a lovely easy horse that I was treating myself too, not another nightmare.

Firewell

Visit site
flowerlady im just using a wintec at the mo untill I save up for his own nice one. Im due the saddler out for my other horse anyway so i'll get her to check it
smile.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
if he was mine firewell i'd send him to a trainer that you trust for a month or so where they will work him every day and you can go up 3/4 times a week for lessons on him. this will put you in a safe environment and hopefully you can bond and then any hi jinks won't be so scary in the future... obviously i second the suggestions about tack and back man but TBH it sounds very like my old horse who just took the pee for the first couple of months that i owned him...after i got the measure of him (i really don't scare easily despite the bronks, rearing and napping) he settled down and didn't have much more trouble from him. good luck, stick with it- the difficult ones are normally the most talented!

annret

Visit site
We bought a school mistress in poor condition who passed a 5 stage with flying colours; turns out she has a 'sweeney shoulder' which causes her to be far more free and rideable on the left rein but also prone to bucking, spooking and bolting on this rein. She is naturally v. sharp and tricky (lots of Trak blood) but the symptoms sound very similar?

The problem has been allieviated by feeding a high-oil diet and selenium diet which has helped to repair some of the muscle damage but she's still tricky. Fabulous, though.

Firewell

Visit site
it fits ok, its ever so slightly wide but ive put a prolite underneath it and as he has so much muscle wastage i would prefer it this way so he has some room to muscle up under. Its on an M setting at the mo and theres no way on this planet im putting n/m plate on a 16.1 horse! its level on his back, doesnt tip, slip or rock. Its not too tight around the scapular. I mean its a wintec so how perfect a fit can you get with one of those! Its been checked and its OK for now.
Trust me ive had so many problems with my old horses back and a master saddler fitted albion. There is no way i would put a saddle that didnt fit on a horse, its one thing im paranoid about now!

KatB

Visit site
Have replied in Comp riders, but didnt realise what saddle you were using.... have you checked the gullet is screwed on properly, sounds strange I know, but have heard of the screws working loose which means it could be pinching him on one side when asking for flexion etc... have a good look and make sue everything is how it should be!!

Firewell

Visit site
ooo anret that is interesting, how did u get that diagnosed?
Diggerbez if i had the money I would do that definitly and i dont really know of anyone i would trust?! i guess it would cost the same as full livery and i just havent got the funds for that
frown.gif

samstar

Visit site
our boy was exactly like yours in the school, would take off on the right rein. We got a mctimmoney practitioner in and he was tight in his neck, back and pelvis area. He is now a different horse altogether. we thought he was cold backed but now he is alot more relaxed with a rider in the saddle.
smile.gif

annret

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
ooo anret that is interesting, how did u get that diagnosed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, basically, I was first alerted to it when the saddler had difficulty fitting her and mentioned that the scapula weren't exactly aligned - fast forward 6 months - basically in a lameness investigation, she was sound as a pound on one rein and 1/10ths lame (e.g. only me and the vet could see it but it WAS there) on the other in trot on a lunge, never lame enough to nerve block and didn't become lamer even when put back into work but judging on muscle wastage compared to other side this was the best idea he could give so treated as a sweeney shoulder and muscle developing now evenly and no problems there.

Does he dish with one foreleg at all when tired? Also noted this.

ETS - Sorry this all sounds so vague - have a look at this article here - http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/90768.htm - basically explains it far better than I ever could.

Even if there is no evident muscle wastage at present, I'd definately make some changed to his diet and feed high oil high fibre low starch and a selenium supplement (as if for an EPSM/ azutoria horse) as not only will this help with condition and offer slow release energy, but if there is a problem there then this will give it the best chance of recovery before it becomes a lameness.

If you need anymore advice, just PM me?

lauraanddolly

Visit site
I'd second the checking of your wintec screws and invest in some loctight stuff for the screws. I've had my wintec a while and after discovering that the gullet screws were VERY loose one day while cleaning, I have checked it once a week just to be safe.
OH made me up a little saddle tools kit, with allen keys and screwdriver. So I always have the tools to do the job.
Not saying that will solve all your problems - but it's worth a check!

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Diggerbez if i had the money I would do that definitly and i dont really know of anyone i would trust?! i guess it would cost the same as full livery and i just havent got the funds for that
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats the problem, i'm lucky that i have friends who do this kind of stuff for me on the cheap...i've had to do it with my youngster that keeps decking me- had to concede that he needs some 'expert' bootcamp experience!!
whereabouts in the country are you?
ooo.gif
grin.gif