new horse turns out to be a rearer-advice please

Always Henesy

Visit site
Quote AH "The OP can make her own mind up. My advice was to the OP - not you."

Exactly, as was my advice.

Quote AH "May be because I care about others".......... & obviously I don't?, that's why I don't want the OP to lose out massively financially in this situation which is none of her making I don't want her to injure herself either which will surely happen.

I don't want the OP to injure herself either which is the whole point of responding to this thread:confused:
You suggested though that she get it back to the dealer so that someone else could get injured instead though - yes? :rolleyes:

charlie76

Visit site
One final question, why are you lunging him 'behind the vertical in a pessoa '
I would think that would be the last thing a horse with neck issues would need. Long and low maybe but btv tied in with a pessoa. Hmmm

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You suggested though that she get it back to the dealer so that someone else could get injured instead though - yes? :rolleyes:

You are being rather silly again aren't you?...............No, I didn't say that did I? Read the posts and you will see that I've never said that. I have said that the horse should be returned to the dealer. It is then the dealer's decision as to what happens to the animal then.

Mariposa

Visit site
I bought a pony from a polo pony dealer a few years ago. The pony was good as gold when I tried her, passed her vetting. But when I took her home and rode her, as we were coming back into the yard she went bolt upright, without any warning, my reins were loose and I almost came off backwards. Second time she did the same thing I rang the dealer, he claimed she'd never done it before and to let her settle. She kept doing it, i got more and more scared, and finally I hunted down her old owner...and it turned out he'd sold her to dealer for the exact same issue.

After a lot of aggro the dealer finally took her back, but it took 6 months to get all our money back, but we got there in the end.

All I'd say to the OP is don't let this get you down. This isn't your fault. Maybe the horse has history, you don't know, but don't let it put you off. I was gutted when my pony went back, but a few months later I found a schoolmistress, who turned out to be everything I could possibly have wanted ( that's her in my avater, the bright bay!) - there IS the right horse out there for you. Good luck with sorting this out, it will all work out in the end. Keep positive.

Always Henesy

Visit site
You are being rather silly again aren't you?...............No, I didn't say that did I? Read the posts and you will see that I've never said that. I have said that the horse should be returned to the dealer. It is then the dealer's decision as to what happens to the animal then.

Yep - because we all know that the dealer would do the right thing and either resolve it's issues or have it pts don't we :rolleyes:

OP - I wish you well. Do let us know how you get on.

rhino

Visit site

Yet you said you weren't making personal comments? There are ways to put your point across without telling someone to 'frankly ignore' someone else's views, or tell them they are being 'silly'. It's hardly helping the OP any!

OP - lots to think about here but please keep yourself safe! Yes, a bad horse can take your confidence away, but a good one can give it back :)

cptrayes

Visit site
The dealer had lied to me about the horse and it's history ................. I was left around £6,000 out of pocket.

I'm sorry about your problems but it can happen just as easily with a private sale and the law is much stronger buying from a dealer. You are giving the impression that you think no-one should buy from a dealer and I am trying to balance that.

Jools1234

Visit site
i would be contacting the person that evented this horse, there is a reason it was sold to a dealer and it may be that they just felt he would not go far enough for them, the classes start at 80cm so most young horses would get round with the right rider and some work put in. also check his competition record on-line just cos he took part does not mean he was good at it. take it from there most dealers give you 4 wks to return to exchange a horse thats what they have to give by law outside this your unlikely to get help.if the previous owners had a similar problem they may be best suited to offer a solution-who knows worth a call though i would think

good luck and keep safe:)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yep - because we all know that the dealer would do the right thing and either resolve it's issues or have it pts don't we :rolleyes:

OP - I wish you well. Do let us know how you get on.

I don't think that you can really comment on what the dealer would do because you don't know who they are or what the horse is like in reality.

A lot of BYEH horses are produced and ridden by pro riders and will not be as easy as they look. A couple of friends have bought BYEH horses and had a few problems. Its a lot to throw at a baby, and can result in some issues with the ones that don't make it. With a pro onboard the horse may not have these issues. I remember reading an autobiography from a top rider who had a horse that they would not allow any members of staff to ride under any circumstances as they didn't trust it... I'm not making excuses for this horse at all, but there may be a chance for this horse to return to an honest dealer and be resold for a more experienced rider who may not experience the same problems... Not all dealers are crooks trying to fob off killer horses..

rhino

Visit site
i would be contacting the person that evented this horse, there is a reason it was sold to a dealer and it may be that they just felt he would not go far enough for them, the classes start at 80cm so most young horses would get round with the right rider and some work put in. also check his competition record on-line just cos he took part does not mean he was good at it. take it from there most dealers give you 4 wks to return to exchange a horse thats what they have to give by law outside this your unlikely to get help.if the previous owners had a similar problem they may be best suited to offer a solution-who knows worth a call though i would think

good luck and keep safe:)

BYEH 5 year old classes (which OP has said the horse was doing) are 1.05 in the 1st round and 1.10 in the final.

Agree with the rest :)

neddynesbitt

Visit site
I'm sorry about your problems but it can happen just as easily with a private sale and the law is much stronger buying from a dealer. You are giving the impression that you think no-one should buy from a dealer and I am trying to balance that.

I couldn't agree more with the above. SOME people aren't as honest as they like to make out and will sell or LOAN a horse and lie through their teeth in the process!! My experience of private sales & loans is not good and I have some very good friends who have had bad experiences particularly with loaning from dishonest owners!!

Give me a dealer (obviously one with a good reputation) any day. My experience of at least one dealer (on more than one occasion) has been fantastic. :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I agree with all the advice to get rid but if you want to try something else - STOP THE HI-FI. It has alfalfa in it, some horses cannot tolerate it at all. Check as well for molasses/moglo, some horses cannot tolerate that either.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Yet you said you weren't making personal comments? There are ways to put your point across without telling someone to 'frankly ignore' someone else's views, or tell them they are being 'silly'. It's hardly helping the OP any!

When someone advises someone to forget about trying to get their money back from a dealer after buying a horse that rears & is clearly dangerous I believe my advice was correct. To suggest that that buyer should also incur the additional cost of having the animal pts & also pay for the disposal of the carcase on top of the loss of the purchase price again begs belief & should be ignored. Why should she have to stand the loss?

Additionally when the same someone trys to say that I posted that I don't care about peoples safety when I clearly haven't posted anything like that, then I feel I have a right to call her to answer. I could have put it much stronger but I didn't.

The assumption of this person is that the dealer will not accept the horse back & will not refund........... we don't know because the dealer has not been spoken to yet. The quality of the advice that was given was, in my view, biased by her previous bad experience with a dealer. Not all dealers are bad, many are really good & want to maintain their reputation, but if they are not informed of problems how can they do anything about it. He may not accept the horse back but surely he must be allowed the opportunity?

rhino

Visit site
TZ; then why not state your opinion, and why you disagree with someone else's. Completely dismissing someone's post, that they have taken time to write, does not add coherency to any argument. Nobody stated that they thought you didn't care, you chose to interpret that way, which correlates with your initial post which also appeared to me to be unnecessarily aggressive.

Most of what is written on HHO is a product of people's own experiences, and it is surely more valuable to be able to read both sides, even if you do not personally agree with one.

CathySirett

Visit site
interestingly a young horse worked in eventing, now showing responses typical of some form of pain response - not unusual in many horses who are many a bit slower to develop than their peers and so end up having neck or back issues when they hit the 5 or 6 mark after appearing quite fine when started earlier

I agree with the comment about lunging in the pessoa behind the vertical -- I would be greatly doubting ANY one who advised ANY behind the vertical work of ANY form for a horse -- particualrly one with neck issues!

anyhow --

tough situation to be in -- if you have the time and money, turn him away for a year and then see how he is when you bring him back into work -- otherwise, stop riding him and find out what other options you have

Cathy

Mike007

Visit site
The long and the short of it is not that he rears. I have owned some wonderfull rearers. The point is that he is bad at it and falls over. Get rid asap.I would add that a horse that can rear well can also jump well.

devonlass

Visit site
OP it's not your problem or responsibility to sort out the future of this horse.Return to dealer asap if that's an option,and kick off in big way if it isn't until it becomes an option;)

You bought the horse for a purpose,it is not suitable for that purpose,end of.You bought in good faith and your conscience has no need to be burdened with what happens further down the line.That is for the dealer to lose sleep over not you.

Perhaps some members on here can afford to keep a half ton pet for the next 20 years,or have one PTS and lose all their money,but for the rest of us in the harsh reality of the real world that's not generally possible,and I certainly wouldn't feel bad about it.

I care about and for my horses as much as the next person (in fact I am often known as the dreaded 'fluffy bunny' type:eek:;)),but I wouldn't be spending any more time or money on this horse and would be sending it back in a heartbeat.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
TZ; then why not state your opinion, and why you disagree with someone else's. Nobody stated that they thought you didn't care, you chose to interpret that way, which correlates with your initial post which also appeared to me to be unnecessarily aggressive.

I have stated my opinion & why I disagreed with someone elses.

As for 'Nobody stated you didn't care'.....read what you friend had to say....

'You suggested though that she get it back to the dealer so that someone else could get injured instead though - yes?'............. What does this say then? Can this be construed any other way?

I've had enough now.....goodnight all.

Kaylum

Visit site
Go back to the "dealer". Remember anyone whatsoever can buy and sell horses as a business. They don't even need horse knowledge. Go get your money back. But do it now. Don't throw money at it for something it could be. Could be a mental problem, could be something he has had happen to him in the past. Etc etc. my friend bought a horse from a "dealer" she found out his past, put some posts in the trace stolen forum with pictures and as much as you know about him. My friend was told a pack of lies about hers and how he ended up at a dealers. Also it will give you more evidence to go back to the dealer.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Erm Mike one of ours rears really balanced and looks gracefully.......we found out his saddle was pinching him and was too long but he didn't flip over. So no you can't tell between a pain rear, naughty rear or just excitable rear(well maybe the last one you might have a niggle about)

OP please don't lunge behind the vertical it will make matters worse. Long and low.
Also get vet out.
How is he girthing up? I saw you said he is an exracer so he would be more prone to ulcers and that can change behaviour just like that.
Also if saddle needs reflocking then why are you riding in it? It on doesn't fit him and done horses are more sensitive to that than others. Ours was.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
According to previous post, yes, part of the reason the horse had to have time off was that it needed to be reflocked (think OP's gone to bed but I did have a squizz through the other threads earlier) :)

Thanks Rhino, was on phone, so couldn't look.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Whatever the reasons for the rearing OP, it's clear this horse is not for you.

Send it back.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Always Henesy

Visit site

Agreed.
However the law is an a** :(

In this case though we are talking about buying from a dealer, not a private seller.
I have yet to find a dealer that would happily give you a refund after 2 months+ of ownership. Part exchange - yes. Part refund - yes. But not full refund no questions asked.

I appreciate that there must be some very professional and responsible dealers out there - I just haven't found any yet.