New horse? two horses? Questions!!

Starbucks

Visit site
So I have my superstar horse Badger who is completely perfect for me. He's 15 and still going strong but I'm toying with the idea of getting something else to be coming along while Badger is still going.

First question: For busy working people, how well have you coped having 2 horses vs 1 in terms of time and finances?? I'm thinking I will probably need more help with two but in theory can afford it, but wonder about people experience.

Second question: B was a bit of a bargain but is a pretty awsome horse (I found out this week that his full brother jumped intonationally at 1.50m!), so if I get something else I want something that's potentially going to be as good! What price range am I looking at for something; Irish, 16.2 or 3, 4 or 5 yo, broken but unspoilt, nice looking and not a loonatic, good breeding - green PP?

Any help would be fab.

Thanks!

ihatework

Visit site
I always like the idea of having 2, but when push comes to shove my working hours and demands means I just couldn't do justice to two.

XsugarstarX

Visit site
It depends what kind of needs your horses have and how much spare time you have? I have 2 horses and unfortunately I had to put one on loan due to not having enough time. If both have stables that need mucking out then it can be a hassle, if both are free to roam in a field it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You can go poo pick it when you have free time and when you don't you can just check on the horses, this can also be handy if you can get up you will find people will be more willing to check on them instead of having to muck out. Also you need to see if you will be have time to exercise both of them. You could get the second horse and if its a hassle think about putting one on loan?:)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I found having two means that it is harder to keep them fit - you end up doing two shorter rides rather than one decent one. I also seemed to keep on top of pulling trimming and tack cleaning (and probably schooling!) when I had one, now it all slides a bit!

We bought a well bred ISH with a 1/4 of warmblood, lovely paces, nice looking but very green at 4 1/2 for £3000. He has turned out wonderfully.

Starbucks

Visit site
Thanks. I think I'd hope that whatever I was buying was pretty saleable so I could sell if it ended up being too much.

I think my plan, for the first year or so anyway, would probably be to let Badger chill over the summer while doing summer stuff with the new one and then hunt Badger while the baby had a bit of down time. With a bit of overlap in-between.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I always think 1 horse is not enough , and that 2 horses is too much!! Can't win :)

Hahaha! I couldn't put it better myself. I lost my old boy about 15 months ago, and it's been wonderful just having one...always say I'd never go back to 2, but...there's always a but...yeah. 1.5 would be perfect :D

X

xspiralx

I have one horse on part livery and don't think I could manage two with my work hours. I normally get to the yard between 6 and 7pm after work, by the time I've worked F and put him to bed it's normally getting on for 8.

I guess it depends on your set up - if you don't have to work both of them most days and can alternate between them then it is probably much easier to manage, and also easier if you either have part livery or keep them out rather than in.

In terms of what you are looking for, if you get something that's just come over from the sales and hasn't been produced and polished as such, you can be looking at around £3500 for the kind of horse you want if you buy from a place like Irish Horse Imports.

avthechav

Visit site
I have two at home...established horse rehabbing from lameness and 5 year old. It is hard as I am a full time teacher (but plus side is that I can eat more chocolate as two seems to keep the weight off better!), but manageable, especially as I have separate aims with the two. I am plodding around the older horse at the moment trying to rehab barefoot following nav related lameness, so he just needs quiet and constant conditioning, whilst hopefully setting the 5 year old up for some spring 80s. This wasn't helped by the fact that I was ejected from 5 year old a month ago and broke my collarbone but we seem back on track for the moment. My plan is then to up work for the older horse late spring and showjump/ dressage him. Run then both over the summer and then either give 5 year old a holiday or sell if I can't cope in the autumn. I have no facilities at home and so I have found it very hard to get going but I am so lucky and grateful to have them at home as it saves a lot of money and time. It can be done but I think helps if you can draft in help for exercise.

paddi22

Visit site
i find two really difficult timewise to manage if you want to compete both. Especially to keep fit. If you can ride and lead one that's better, but one of mines a bad kicker so its not possible. It helps to stagger their seasons so you have a bit or pressure off.

soft touch

Visit site
I have two and full time job.It is hard but just needs commitment. Mine are on a yard on my way to work so get fed and skipped at 6am then off to work quick change of clothes at work! Then back on way home proper clean out and exercise. I leave as many made up nets ready as I can,feeds done night before and straw ready in big builders bags. It does work,only time it becomes bad is if there is a crisis with one that demands a lot of your time, like having to walk out in hand etc then you tend to wish you only had one!

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
I think two horses can work if you have full time work too, but it depends on your set up and what you are wanting to do with them.

I have two (one 6 going on 4 (schooling well and going to small shows) and the other 7 this year (jumping up to Newcomers and Novice dressage). Aiming both to event this year) and study full time (and work part time hours), but will be working full time soon. One is kept out, the other is on part livery.

With a rigorous routine/schedule, it definitely helps. I get up at 6.15am everyday and go to the yard and get them done every morning early, so I can concentrate on work for the rest of the day. I alternate riding each horse during the week (except for one day when I ride them both) and ride them both on the weekend. This means that they get ridden fairly frequently, and you're not compromising on riding them quickly each day. I also ride and lead every week or two as it seems to make more sense to take them both out for a long hack than two short hacks. I am fairly open to having other people ride (one of them), although often volunteers are less committed than they appear. I am fairly lucky to have an indoor school which is free often and good off-road hacking. It is hard work, but works if you want it to - good luck!