new horse update (my first OTTTB)

soulfull

Visit site
I've had Daisy 2 wks now. She has settled really well.

She is so very sweet and gentle. Taking it slowly as she is only 4 Has been ridden in walk and trot 3 times now and has a lovely Rythym that doesn't change even though her head carriage is quote varied.
she is learning to stretch a little.
so far she is quite sensible and not really spooky :)

Chuffed with her :)

Ladyinred

Visit site
I used to retrain OTTBs and aside from one gelding, who probably left the track too late for retraining, they were unfailingly lovely genuine horses. Teaching a sensible head carriage and how to bend were really the hardest parts, and they didn't take long.

She will probably be amazing in traffic after being hacked through Newmarket or wherever she was trained. If she has only very recently come out of training be sure to give her 'enough' work; obviously only you can judge that, but she will be very used to an unvaried routine of working the same time each day except for race days. Even if its only 5 or 10 minutes it will keep her mentally happy and secure. I think that's where some people fall down, they fail to realise just how set in stone a horses day is when in training and the horse gets frightened and anxious when it dramatically changes for them.

I hope you have a wonderful time with her. My favourite ever mare was a 5yo OTTB.. I adored her <sob>

biggingerpony

Visit site
Fantastic :) I have two OTTBs and they are brilliant horses, I wouldn't have anything else now! would be good to see some pics of your new one :)

soulfull

Visit site
[http://s656.photobucket.com/user/Sa... Uploads/20151020_090335_zpsvccjrq7z.jpg.html

QUOTE=Ladyinred;13064180]I used to retrain OTTBs and aside from one gelding, who probably left the track too late for retraining, they were unfailingly lovely genuine horses. Teaching a sensible head carriage and how to bend were really the hardest parts, and they didn't take long.

She will probably be amazing in traffic after being hacked through Newmarket or wherever she was trained. If she has only very recently come out of training be sure to give her 'enough' work; obviously only you can judge that, but she will be very used to an unvaried routine of working the same time each day except for race days. Even if its only 5 or 10 minutes it will keep her mentally happy and secure. I think that's where some people fall down, they fail to realise just how set in stone a horses day is when in training and the horse gets frightened and anxious when it dramatically changes for them.

I hope you have a wonderful time with her. My favourite ever mare was a 5yo OTTB.. I adored her <sob>[/QUOTE]

Thanks. She has been out of racing a little while. So is now in fit. She is very chilled
not sure if this will work