New horse update; or "Thrills, Spills and wardrobe malfunctions"

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Posted about 5 weeks ago about my lovely new gelding, a 5yo saintly Irish guy, Connie/TB cross that had just arrived. We've been cracking on a little bit so thought I'd do a wee update:

He's living with my mare, and our mini Shetland companion, also a mare. This has caused a few teething problems, mainly because he loves the mini, and my mare is protecting her "baby". As long as the mini isn't in season they are fine, if she is I keep her securely separated and all is fine. The worry about the two "big" horses becoming dangerously close so far hasn't materialised, which is great. So far so good. And luckily they are both poor doers so I can just put whole bales of hay in the feeder and leave them too it. Plus point 1.

New boy loads happily, travels well and is happy in the lorry. Plus point 2. He's a bit of a pawer/stamper when standing on the box though, so might temporarily try hobbles. Our first outing was to a friends yard to use the school, he was great, we did some tiny jumps and when we chucked him in a spare stable to untack he was very relaxed. Bodes well for competing away from home.

Next outing was a jumping clinic with David Harland. In a lovely indoor which was handy as it was hosing it down. No idea if P had been in an indoor before but he was magic, jumped brilliantly even though we kept them tiny. Had a wee whinny when the previous horse left but knuckled down to his job perfectly. Clip from our lesson:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUZYzB5tSEA

Then in the intervening period just been hacking him, he is having tiny baby naps sometimes due to loving the girls a bit much, but he is too polite to do much. I'm focussing on ensuring he walks straight, keeps off the leg, no body or neck wiggles, and walks politely home. Hopefully he will grow out of it soon.

Last week I decided to go to a schooling show. Was aiming for the 65cms, got there in time as per the schedule, however as it had been very quiet they wouldn't let me enter. Ended up doing the 75cm, bigger than the errr 1 time I'd previously jumped him, and he did a lovely clear. JO was whacked up to the 85cm levels, I did a fair bit of firing and he kept his cool by mostly ignoring me, though we did crash through the first fence. Entirely my fault and due to lack of match practice generally, and experience on him particularly. Plus, he's only a baby! So chuffed with him, he was so chilled too. Came 4th, our first ribbon! Was mega delighted.

Carried on with hacking, all going well until tonight. He'd been a wee bit backward thinking but again no drama, just a couple of try it on halts. Sped passed the killer lambs with his eyes closed, bless him. Then I went for a canter up a track and err landed on the floor. I think basically my girth was too loose and/or the exercise sheet misbehaved between saddle and numnah, he started broncing, saddle and me slipping forward so the rodeo got worse, I came off and hit the ground hard. He galloped off still bucking, I phoned husband in a panic thinking he was bolting for home. However luckily he stopped before the road and I found him gorging on lush grass, with his saddle twisted half way down his side :eek:. Thank god he stopped. Husband arrived, got tack all sorted, legged back on and hacked home feeling a bit winded and sick. However he didn't do anything at all on way home so I do think it was the tack issue. Really annoying as my confidence can be fragile, but he didn't seem phased/unsettled so think it was just an unlucky moment plus me being a muppet. Will canter in the school next time just to check then hopefully onwards and upwards.

Have a pairs XC at the end of the month, and a jumping lesson with David Gatherer just afterwards. I'm really loving him so far, for a youngster he is Mr Cool, with just a dash of the cheeky monkey. A few ground manners to tidy up but they are improving all the time. Hopefully will have lots more to update on as time goes on :)

AliceCrail

Visit site
Sounds lovely. You would expect a little hooley from him at some point being new and young, but it lulls you into a false sense of security if they have been so good til then. As you say, hopefully it's just the tack! Bless him stopping at some grass though! Sounds like you're going to have a fab summer with him :)

moodymare1987

Visit site
He looks sweet. I'd imagine it will be the tack that caused the problem like you say. With him only young as well mind you some older horses would react the same

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Sounds lovely. You would expect a little hooley from him at some point being new and young, but it lulls you into a false sense of security if they have been so good til then. As you say, hopefully it's just the tack! Bless him stopping at some grass though! Sounds like you're going to have a fab summer with him :)

Yes it did take me rather by surprise. Hopefully normal service will be resumed once my sore ribs allow me to get back on.

Lovely report. He sounds a real cracker! Good luck at your next outing

Thank you :)

He sounds lovely hope you have mega fun

Mega fun is always the aim!

He looks sweet. I'd imagine it will be the tack that caused the problem like you say. With him only young as well mind you some older horses would react the same

I know I sometimes forget he is so young, bless him.

kez1001

Visit site
Wow - I think he's absolutely lovely :) I'd love one like him!
I'm sure it will just be the tack, but not nice for it to happen but at least he had the sense to stop.
Look forward to next update. I'm sure david gatherer will love him too :)

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Wow - I think he's absolutely lovely :) I'd love one like him!
I'm sure it will just be the tack, but not nice for it to happen but at least he had the sense to stop.
Look forward to next update. I'm sure david gatherer will love him too :)

Thanks Kez, he's a regular straight normal chap 99% of the time which is pretty amazing!