New Horse Worm Count

fizzer

Visit site
Friend bringing a horse over to mine for a few months whilst she sorts her finances out. Not a problem, am glad to help. But, I asked her to worm count as I keep on top of mine and have no issues. Her count come back 1000 , she has not wormed since Oct, used Equitape.

She has given her horse Equest and will worm count 10-4 days. Hopefully this will sort, has she used the right wormer I ask myself? I can see I will be worrying about another horse soon. Friend lovely but a bit slack in the management department.

Beausmate

Visit site
I wormed my new horse with Panacur Guard, lots of redworms in the poo on the third day. Asked my vet what I should do next, he said to give the Panacur for five days as I was, then worm with Pramox on the sixth. Done it, will give it a couple of weeks then get the count done.

GinaGem

Visit site
I may be corrected but i believe Equest will cover all the worms shown on a worm count as well as small encysted redworm which don't show. The equitape would have covered tapeworm which doesn't show on the worm count so she should be fairly well sorted until spring where she could do another tapeworm wormer. I'm also fairly sure there's no point worm counting again till 14 weeks after using Equest for correct results.

fizzer

Visit site
Thankyou for replies, friend has spoken to the lab people and say she should re count after 10-14 days, I feel better now, I have been googling!!! I had a mini panic thinking
"OMG WORMS".

smiffyimp

Visit site
Equest wont kill 100% encysted redworm, only live redworm. I would have 5 day gaurded (panacur) for the encysted redworm followed by a double dose strongrid (or other tape womer). Bit confused on the re-count, i would wait 14 weeks as well or you could get false negative results, but I guess the lab will know best

ihatework

Visit site
Equest wont kill 100% encysted redworm, only live redworm. I would have 5 day gaurded (panacur) for the encysted redworm followed by a double dose strongrid (or other tape womer). Bit confused on the re-count, i would wait 14 weeks as well or you could get false negative results, but I guess the lab will know best

I'd diagree.

Equest is the most effective wormer on the market of encysted and live redworm. Panacur 5 day also works but there is more resistance to that.

OP I'd ask your friend also to do an equitape, this will cover tapeworm which doesn't show on the worm counts

smiffyimp

Visit site
I'd diagree.

Equest is the most effective wormer on the market of encysted and live redworm. Panacur 5 day also works but there is more resistance to that.

OP I'd ask your friend also to do an equitape, this will cover tapeworm which doesn't show on the worm counts

Personally i wouldnt touch equest or pramox there are too many cases of them causing colic (which I have experienced with both and heard horrific stories from the vet) - but thats another thread.....

Def cover for tapeworm though.

Holtons Hollywood

Visit site
I'm with Intelligent Worming, and they recommend 5-day Panacur instead of Equest at first, until they're sure the worm levels are low. So, I'd therefore personally go with the 5-day Panacur.