New horse

Kowalla3

New User
Visit site
Hi guys, this is my first time posting in the forums so I'm sorry if something I say goes against the rules or whatever!

Basically I'm hopefully getting my first horse in a few weeks, and I'm going to see him next week, he comes with all the tack that is needed but I'm not sure what to include in the grooming kit and the first aid kit?

Thanks in advance! X

dodgers89

Visit site
In your grooming kit I would have a dandy brush, plastic and rubber curry combs, a hoof pick , a body brush and possibly a mane and tail brush although you could use the dandy brush for that. I would definitely get some purple spray for your first aid kit and some dressings. Good luck! :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
First aid kit - Hibiscrub, cotton wool, yellow summer fly cream, nappies (for babies, they make great hoof poultices), animalintex, vet wrap/cohesive bandage, gaffer tape.

I have a lot more stuff in mine, but they are the things I use most and like to keep in stock. So if a horse gets a small cut (doesn't need a Vet) I can dilute some hibiscrub and clean it. If the flies are about, I can put the yellow summer fly cream on it to stop the flies landing on it. If the horse needs to have a hoof poulticed I can use the animalintex or a nappy, with a cohesive bandage to hold it on, then gaffer tape over the top to waterproof it. Where the horse 'skins' itself (pulls the fur off, but the skin is intact) I leave that alone. Anything deep, over a joint or obviously needs stitching and the Vet is called. I once had a horse get a nasty leg injury that was really bleeding, I put a pad of animalintex over the cut, held on by a cohesive bandage to stem the flow while the Vet was on her way.

Grooming kit - a good dandy brush (not a flick one), a good body brush, shedding blade, sweat scraper (although you can use the other side of the shedding blade for this, the water runs down my arm when I do *yuck*), hoof pick, mane and tail comb/brush, plastic curry comb, rubber curry comb (the sparkly, brightly coloured ones are actually quite good IMO), stable rubber/tea towel and a sponge. Plus cowboy magic green spot remover if your horse is grey or has white markings. I don't use hoof oil or other hoof ointments/creams.

It might be worth reading this thread. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...ing-kits-V-old-style-grooming-kits&p=12441259

RE buying a horse with it's tack, don't assume that it will fit. Plenty of people have bought horses with badly fitting tack and have then had to buy new tack anyway.

Last edited:

Kowalla3

New User
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the advice :)
Another question, what is a reasonable price to pay for a second hand saddle? I'm aware that I'd need to get it altered by a saddler, just wonderig what you would pay for it?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
This is not a helpful answer, but it really depends on the saddle.

Leather?
Synthetic?
Treed?
Treeless?
Medium quality or top quality?

The one thing that I would recommend is to go for a well known brand, not a dodgy, cheap Indian saddle. Lots of the cheap, new ones on ebay are cheap and nasty tat.

What you want is a good saddle fitter that stocks lots of various saddles. They can come out and fit a saddle to the horse.

Many people like Wintec and Thorowgood as they are good quality adjustable synthetic saddles, so not too expensive new. You do need to get the right one for your horse though, they aren't all the same. Even the most adjustable saddle wont be able to fit every horse.

Some people prefer a good 2nd hand leather saddle eg Jeffries, Ideal, Albion etc...

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Agree with Faracat about the tack. It may not be worth having or may not fit. Also do check that the tack you see is the tack they are including in the sale.
If the tack is no use, set aside around £500 to get a saddler out and to try a selection of good second hand leather saddles, although I think you could get a new synthetic saddle for less.