New horse

Fiona

Visit site
Thank you all for being so nice about him.
The first picture show clearly the weak neck and the lack of lift in the withers it will be fun seeing how sucessfully I can influence this .
The grey is our ' young ' ID he's ten ! He's a very sweet boy .

He's gorgeous, though I rather love your ID too...

Fiona

Irish gal

Visit site
I don't think his neck is weak, it could have been longer but that's a minor quibble. Isn't he very well built for a horse with so much TB. He looks almost as big as the ID! There's nothing like a nice liver chestnut - they're very striking. I bet you'll have a lot of fun with him.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's very kind of you to stay that IG but it's weak and a bit short .
Trust me I have been up top it's developed at the crest but the muscle is very thin and he's over developed at the base in the middle for the whole of the length of the middle of the neck there's very little muscle .
He was backed and ridden when he arrived in his previous home but was very weak and the neck was non existent I speculate he learnt to draw his neck back and depend on the rider during his first ridden experiances .
His last owner has done a very good job of developing him he gets good marks when he's judged but I think he can do/ be better
He's green for his age as it took along time for him to develop and his owner does a tiring time consuming job means he's not as far on as he would have been .
I have a work plan forming in my brain .
Today's job is to fit tack ( the saddler is booked but I am capable enough to get the show on the road ) then if it stops pouring I will see what's what with me on the ground so do a little lunging and inhand stuff but nothing challenging .
I am watching him he's not as settled as he's pretending to be so that's lesson one he will internalise issues .

AdorableAlice

Visit site
His neck will look lots better when he can carry himself over his back and open his frame, the underneath will refine along with his gullet as the top develops The little bit of coarse blood in him is showing in the neck and how he has been ridden has aided the incorrect development would be my thoughts on him.

I like him a lot, he is the proper all rounder type that will be able to do everything to a reasonable level.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I really hope so AA the coarse head on the More quality body does make him look really cute .I am glad you like him .
I just lunged him working on getting the walk on the move and out by the end he was much more open .
The neck is not in any way ' broken ' so that's going to make the job a lot easier .

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I really hope so AA the coarse head on the More quality body does make him look really cute .I am glad you like him .
I just lunged him working on getting the walk on the move and out by the end he was much more open .
The neck is not in any way ' broken ' so that's going to make the job a lot easier .

I doubt you use gadgets, but if you do you might find the equiami useful for a horse built like he is. It was suggested to me when I bought Martha the pocket rocket upside down cart horse - with attitude. She chucked the toys out at first, but once she accepted there was nothing to lean on and she had to give and carry herself it helped her way of going a lot.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have an equiami but I don't think this horse will need that approach .
He needs to build confidence in his own balance and I think we have do this by using very long low side reins and by lunging him in walk wearing just a bridle .
He responded well to this today .
I think a lot of walking on long riens is needed and he needs to learn the lateral work I love all of this stuff .

scats

Visit site
He's really nice.

My new mare has a short and weak neck, with a hunk of muscle underneath it from years of throwing it's head up to evade the contact... and a big head. Fortunately she carries it off quite well all things considered! I've been lunging in mostly walk and a bit of trot, with long, low side reins and teaching her to work in a long and low frame, which I honestly don't think she's ever done before as she looked totally perplexed at first.