New horse

Tam82

Visit site
Hi i have just brought an american paint, and have heard that they can easily put weight on, he is currently looking in proportion! So i was just wondering whats best to feed him? He is 10 and 16hh, i have recently had a bad accident so am only just getting back in the saddle, so even though i will ride every day it will only be for about 15-20 mins to start with, so im worried he will put on weight! Xx

Tam82

Visit site
Can you lunge him? Even 15 minutes a day can really help with weight.
Yes i am able to lunge also i just wasn't sure that was enough, and i know he is a one rider horse so i dont really want to put different people on him especially if i want to get a bond x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes i am able to lunge also i just wasn't sure that was enough, and i know he is a one rider horse so i dont really want to put different people on him especially if i want to get a bond x

I think it's a good way to establish a good relationship and it is giving them some exercise, I teach mine to lunge from my voice which also helps when your riding, I often do a bit of in hand work just basic stuff like a few steps back, a few steps sideways it all just helps them learn personal space, it's just about moving them about to where you want them.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Even in winter? He seems healthy enough, what about him feeling left out when others get fed?
If you have to give him something, just a handful of chaff. If he starts feeling flat or losing condition, then you can start thinking about introducing something else but if he's hardly being worked, and he's getting plenty of forage then he doesn't really need anything else.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s a myth that all healthy horses need hard food in winter .
I have five here only one is getting hard food the rest get a half scoop of chaff and their balancer that’s all and two of those is hunting and one of those hunting is living out .

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Free schooling in my opinion is just pointless the horse is just running round aimlessly not working correctly, and it can be dangerous I have seen a horse go through a menage fence his legs were a right mess, I also find horses tend to find it highly exciting and they charge off then slam on the breaks which can also cause an injury.

Mule

Visit site
It’s a myth that all healthy horses need hard food in winter .
I have five here only one is getting hard food the rest get a half scoop of chaff and their balancer that’s all and two of those is hunting and one of those hunting is living out .
That's impressive for the hunters.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
15 minutes of lunging won't damage his joints you don't have to stay on a small circle for the entire time, and if you use 2 lines you can use the whole school.

Most schools are 20x60 so most lunging is a constant 20m circle up one end, well that I've seen, even smaller sometimes which makes me cringe. Fair play to anyone who lunges bigger circles, depends how big usually its on a constant bend.. well unless you're lucky enough to have a lovely sized area (which I unfortunately don't) I use to use 2 reins and move around the arena with mine if they're coming back into work but wouldn't do it everyday. Mine are quite chilled so free schooling they never messed about but can see some horses going nuts. I was just worried OP would lunge on a small circle everyday after reading that - sorry didn't mean it personally!

Goldenstar

Visit site
That's impressive for the hunters.

High quality forage is the reason rye haylege ,Timothy haylege and some hay
The one hunting the most is an fully matured ID so it’s not not impressive he looks magnificent atm and the one living out is an ISH he is 1/8 traditional Irish cob mixed with Tb he’s one tough dude.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Most schools are 20x60 so most lunging is a constant 20m circle up one end, well that I've seen, even smaller sometimes which makes me cringe. Fair play to anyone who lunges bigger circles, depends how big usually its on a constant bend.. well unless you're lucky enough to have a lovely sized area (which I unfortunately don't) I use to use 2 reins and move around the arena with mine if they're coming back into work but wouldn't do it everyday. Mine are quite chilled so free schooling they never messed about but can see some horses going nuts. I was just worried OP would lunge on a small circle everyday after reading that - sorry didn't mean it personally!

I wouldn't want to lunge everyday but if the horse needs to drop weight and it's all you can do, I would just not stay on a small circle the whole time I know it's not always possible if your sharing the school I think as long as your not doing it for ages on tight circles it won't do any harm, it's ok no offence taken;)