New horse

Stormzy

New User
Visit site
Hi.
Getting back in the saddle after a few years, have a 11 year old mare, arrived 2 weeks ago.
Yesterday went for a ride, got halfway along the track, refused to budge, pawing the ground, rearing, going backwards.
Today tried again, didn't even get across the road, got off lead her for a bit, got back on same thing. Any suggestions? Pain? Poor fitting saddle? Just being a mare? Knocking my confidence.
Many thanks

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When you do the new thread can you please include whether you tried the horse before you bought her, how she behaved then, and whether she was vetted?

oldjumper

Visit site
Hi.
Getting back in the saddle after a few years, have a 11 year old mare, arrived 2 weeks ago.
Yesterday went for a ride, got halfway along the track, refused to budge, pawing the ground, rearing, going backwards.
Today tried again, didn't even get across the road, got off lead her for a bit, got back on same thing. Any suggestions? Pain? Poor fitting saddle? Just being a mare? Knocking my confidence.
Many thanks
Could be several reasons including those you mention. However first thing to consider is she has had a hugely traumatic event - taken away from everything she knows or had got used to and then, having adjusted to new yard this unknown person is taking her away from it! Ride out with another horse if you can or have someone accompany you on foot (or bike) if you can. Failing that, you could try walking her out in hand to build a relationship. Sounds like it could be a confidence issue for her.