New Ifor Williams Designs-What Do We Think? :)

rosiesowner

Visit site
Have a look at this!
https://www.iwt.co.uk/products/horsebox/hbe-range/?tab=details#tab

From the most shallow perspective possible, I think they're pretty ugly! BUT the features look cool and in all it looks like a really bright and airy trailer. I also find it interesting how in the main banner photo it shows the trailer being towed by a VW something, looks like a Tiguan. Just shows the direction so many people are going in when choosing towing cars. I also wonder if this means that in a while the production of the 506 and 511 boxes will slow. Who knows :)

Edit: I wonder how many people will choose a tack locker over a front ramp? Also, prices! For the size equiv to the 506 just as standard with no fancy extras you're looking at £4935 and for the 511 at £6105.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think they look very flashy. Whether that's in a good way remains to be seen. If I was thinking of upgrading my current 12yo Ifor 510 classic (the best horse trailer IW ever built) I wouldn't jump in and order on of these just yet. The build quality on the early 506/511s was shocking, so I'd let these babies be in production for a couple of years before I'd look at one. Allegedly they're available from early 2019.

I'm presuming that the existing range will be phased out, which means there could soon be bargains about for anyone who's looking for a new trailer.

tb gal

Visit site
They are quite expensive as the caralogue prices exclude VAT, so I think you need to add on20% to the cost.

Annagain

Visit site
Have a look at this!
https://www.iwt.co.uk/products/horsebox/hbe-range/?tab=details#tab

From the most shallow perspective possible, I think they're pretty ugly! BUT the features look cool and in all it looks like a really bright and airy trailer. I also find it interesting how in the main banner photo it shows the trailer being towed by a VW something, looks like a Tiguan. Just shows the direction so many people are going in when choosing towing cars. I also wonder if this means that in a while the production of the 506 and 511 boxes will slow. Who knows :)

Edit: I wonder how many people will choose a tack locker over a front ramp? Also, prices! For the size equiv to the 506 just as standard with no fancy extras you're looking at £4935 and for the 511 at £6105.

This 100%. I quite like the look of them but won't be rushing to change my 13 yr old 510 until I know they're good. I also didn't realise it was a tack locker OR front ramp, just assumed they had elongated the front to accommodate both. I'm surprised they haven't managed to design a solution that provides both, when you consider how innovative other companies are with their designs. As someone who has side panels that need a close eye kept on them due to that start of softening I like the idea of rot proof sides.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not sure if the 'clean line styling' reduces the head height if you have a long necked horse? They seemed to suggest elsewhere that it was to fit with discos.
I don't like the lack of rear doors.
I'm unsure about the tinted windows, we had a 505 so had sliding windows both sides and they made a big difference to our tricky loader and this only pop out so not much added ventilation

I think Id rather have the front ramp and door mounted tack rack really.

They don't seem to have the awning that I've seen elsewhere on the accessories page/brochure?

Annagain

Visit site
I'm not sure if the 'clean line styling' reduces the head height if you have a long necked horse? They seemed to suggest elsewhere that it was to fit with discos.
I don't like the lack of rear doors.
I'm unsure about the tinted windows, we had a 505 so had sliding windows both sides and they made a big difference to our tricky loader and this only pop out so not much added ventilation

I think Id rather have the front ramp and door mounted tack rack really.

They don't seem to have the awning that I've seen elsewhere on the accessories page/brochure?

The awning's on the price list for £925 for the 511 or £875 for the 506. I've just read that you can have the door mounted tack pack and the front ramp so I'd definitely go for that rather than lose the front ramp. I tow with a Defender 90 so space is at a premium and the back door fouls on the jockey wheel and gets sctratched. I have to drop the jockey wheel to open the car door and sometimes I forget , much to my husband's disgust - or I remember but then drive off with the jockey wheel down! I hate the stand alone tack packs though, they're so bulky and hard to get out of the way.

I read it that both top windows open fully or tilt. You could open both top windows to load?

Not sure why people are talking about no rear doors? They in all the photos and brochure says theyre standard? Maybe just not on the HBE basic model? I've not read that spec.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We don't need one everyone is broken :D, just very much liked the classic for a few reasons but having a SWB 4x4 would have appreciated the door mounted tack pack I think.

The brochure just mentions a 'mechanism' and shows the popping out but maybe that wasn't right, I wanted to nosey at the awning attachment again as it was a while since seeing it on facebook.

Annagain

Visit site
We don't need one everyone is broken :D, just very much liked the classic for a few reasons but having a SWB 4x4 would have appreciated the door mounted tack pack I think.

The brochure just mentions a 'mechanism' and shows the popping out but maybe that wasn't right, I wanted to nosey at the awning attachment again as it was a while since seeing it on facebook.

I was speaking hypothetically, of course :p I'm in exactly the same position with a Defender 90.

There's a whole section on the awning in the brochure. You can download it and the optional extras price list here: https://www.iwt.co.uk/products/horsebox/hbx-range/?tab=brochures#tab. So far I'm up to about £7500 - hypothetically ;)

ETA - I lied, the 'whole section' on the awning is just a few photos!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I really like it.. I don't use the front ramp find it so much easier to back out so will follow this as mines 10 years old and needs to be upgraded next year. Its also lighter, current 506 is approx 950kg which would be better for my truck.

Annagain

Visit site
lol hypothetical goes over my head, I was on the HBE not the HBX range! You get back doors then but the super big windows!

Yes- that's the only thing I'm not sure about - whether that big window is a good idea or not. I can imagine driving down a country land with a big tractor coming towards me and the horses not liking being able to see it. At least there are pretty solid looking bars on the inside so they won't think of it as an escape route!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
lol hypothetical goes over my head, I was on the HBE not the HBX range! You get back doors then but the super big windows!

My current 506 has blacked out front windows as my coloured tries to escape.. fine since windows blacked out but wow imagine travelling him in that new HBX.. He'd be trying to jump out!

Annagain

Visit site
Just done a very quick comparison and unless you really want a front ramp, I can't see why anyone would buy the HBX 506 rather than the HBE. It's £650 cheaper and 90kg lighter but still has almost identical room for the horse (1cm narrower stalls but 1cm more headroom) and both can have the big tack locker (which you have to sacrifice the ramp for anyway) and nearly all the same extras. The windows and the back doors are the only real differences.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
If you want a front ramp AND an integrated tack locker, you could get a Bateson Ascot! ;)

That aside, I think they look quite modern. HBE only available in 506 size though, so you're looking at approx £7.5k (incl VAT) for the 511 HBX with no tack locker, if you want the bigger one.

EventingMum

Visit site
I have just sold my lorry as we aren't out and about much and have a 510. I might look at upgrading to a 511 HBX next year, it looks a bit futuristic but I like the idea of the aluminium sides which wouldn't rot like the current 510 ones might. I don't think I'd choose a tack locker as I like the option of two ramps and an IF dealer has said the current 511 door mounter lockers are too heavy for the doors. I wouldn't use it but imagine the awning might be really useful for camping at the odd show or event away from home for people who, for whatever reason, don't have a lorry.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Aha, yes, top doors are indeed fitted to the HBX's.

https://www.iwt.co.uk/customer-care/brochures/download/6846

zg6Lqmp.png

I'm not at all sure about the large expanse of front side windows given the number of posters on here who have to cover similar windows with old fertiliser bags as their horses get frightened by seeing too much. Also how strong will they prove to be. Apparently the large expanse of black plastic and lower front end is designed to mimic the modern aerodynamic 4x4s that will allegedly be towing these new trailers. Like, erm, my newish aerodynamic-as-a-brick Shogun :D?