New info on my girl, explains a lot

asbo

Visit site
Feel quite sick at what I found out today, it explains a whole lot about my new girl and why shes so headshy and hard to catch.
She came from Ireland and apparently had been beaten/hit over the head with whips, totally scared of men and was in foal with a foal at foot.

asbo

Visit site
She sure is, her 1st owner over here is lovely and filling me in on so much about her

Shantara

Visit site
I've just found out similar info about Ned :( seems more common to have a poor backstory, than a good one! Poor girly, at least she's with you now :)

asbo

Visit site
I've just found out similar info about Ned :( seems more common to have a poor backstory, than a good one! Poor girly, at least she's with you now :)

Poor Ned, I remember reading a few of your posts about him, he's got a good mum now willing to help him, hugs to you both xx

diamonddogs

Visit site
My mare was the same - not in foal, no foal at foot, but had been bred from and mistreated. Men smoking around her still sends her into a cold sweat. Even that upsets me, because it makes me think her handlers must have been so relaxed about beating her they could have a fag on while they were doing it.

It breaks my heart when her summer coat comes through and you can see the scarring on her poor head.

Keep doing what your doing and patience and a quiet approach will pay dividends and sooner than you think!

Lucky horse to have found you!

asbo

Visit site
My mare was the same - not in foal, no foal at foot, but had been bred from and mistreated. Men smoking around her still sends her into a cold sweat. Even that upsets me, because it makes me think her handlers must have been so relaxed about beating her they could have a fag on while they were doing it.

It breaks my heart when her summer coat comes through and you can see the scarring on her poor head.

Keep doing what your doing and patience and a quiet approach will pay dividends and sooner than you think!

Lucky horse to have found you!

Poor girl, she's landed on her feet with you xx

Thank you, she is such a lovely girl, just hope she can understand we will never hurt her x

diamonddogs

Visit site
She will, don't worry. :D

I always think it's nice to have a perfect horse from the beginning, but you learn so much from problem horses, and you can build in incredible bond with them. And when your horse becomes a perfect (for you!) horse you know it's because of what you did. I've never hit my girl (well, not strictly true - she gets an occasional slap on the muzzle if she tries to nibble) and frankly, I can't see a time when I'd ever have to because she's so good.

Best advice I can give you is never forget you've got a nervous horse and drop your guard - in the early days she was being a bit silly being led from the field, planting etc and without thinking I flicked the end of the rope to the side of her and she went up. :( Took me a good while to calm her again, but it was all good in the end.

asbo

Visit site
She will, don't worry. :D

I always think it's nice to have a perfect horse from the beginning, but you learn so much from problem horses, and you can build in incredible bond with them. And when your horse becomes a perfect (for you!) horse you know it's because of what you did. I've never hit my girl (well, not strictly true - she gets an occasional slap on the muzzle if she tries to nibble) and frankly, I can't see a time when I'd ever have to because she's so good.

Best advice I can give you is never forget you've got a nervous horse and drop your guard - in the early days she was being a bit silly being led from the field, planting etc and without thinking I flicked the end of the rope to the side of her and she went up. :( Took me a good while to calm her again, but it was all good in the end.

Thank you loads xxx

diamonddogs

Visit site
My pleasure - just shout if you need to compare notes. I'm no expert but Irish rescues do seem to have similar issues, unless our babies came from the same yard :(.

(No disrespect intended to Irish people - I love you to bits, and have huge respect for most of you, as the majority of you seem to have horse training sussed!)