New Journal/Magazine - How about this then?

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
You keep throwing the education bit at us - I would rather be open to alternative, thought out ideas than the "if it isn't in a book, it can't be right" theory of most education.

Ahh you've tagged on the bit about "if it aint in the book..." I don't believe that.

I think we're a bit screwed up about education in this country, I suppose because education has always related to class so maybe its class we're screwed up about.

Lets take the analogy to a skill where you can see how good people are. In sports or performance art or even riding, there's no issue about how good someone is because you watch them do what they do and its clear. If you say a novice rider can't jump a 4' fence that doesn't imply they are a second class citizen, only that they have not reached that level of skill. I could continue this but I'm sure you can imagine. We take it for granted in skill based subjects that there are different levels of skill that allow different levels of performance - think about hairdressing...

In knowledge based subjects the same applies. People have different amounts of education and it allows them to know about and understand the same subjects to different levels. This allows them to perform jobs at different levels. Unlike skills, its not obvious how much someone knows, its not even obvious to someone how much they know, its all very abstract. But it is possible to work it out - do the mental equivalent of get on a horse and ride it. It's a bit easier to know whether someone knows enough to be competent at the job they do using their knowledge but not always. My point was that there are people who do things in therapy land (I'm sure with the best intentions and belief in what they're doing) that can easily be shown to be pointless (at best). If they knew it was pointless they probably wouldn't do it. But what is required to get to that point is more education.

Now, all the second class citizen, calling us fools thing is not implied by my comment. My comment was simply objective and without emotion. However people can cope with being useless at maths or hockey but get a bit touchy about the education thing. I have a suspicion that is why you think debates should include everybody regardless of level of knowledge. It's a concession to the idea that nobody likes to think they have nothing to offer on a subject. that's true in absolute terms, there is always the possibility that someone might add something useful to a debate but the likelihood shrinks as the level of complexity of the debate increases. I was being deliberately absolutist and , oh go on then provocative early in this thread when I said back people have nothing to offer the debate. I don't really believe that, but I do believe it is very unlikely they will add anything that isn't known already.

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am in favour of a mag that is honest and doesn't tell us *it can't* just cos they don't know how it *does*.

[/ QUOTE ]

But surely if science proves *it can't* then that to should be explained??

See this is where I *think* puddicat is misunderstood - she's not saying that things which cannot be yet be explained are false, but there are things which science proves to be false and therefore are explained not to be true - fundamental (though subtle) difference.

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
on your post starting with physios etc.

Yeah I agree, getting back to the magazine idea I think what it could do is deal with individual treatments and keep away from the people that practice them. There are two issues as I see it (1) does a treatment do anything useful (2) does a therapist apply that treatment in an appropriate way. I think the magazine should stick to the science and leave the business of whether there are inadequately trained therapists to other magazines of which there are many as you know.

tuscanyD

Visit site
For my part I wanted an article/experiement chronicling and explaning what I wqas actually seeing, scientifically, re the hip thing. My point is that you can't write an aticle de-bunking a theory , howver stupid, without actually explaining to the reader clearly what the theory actually is first... hence my disagreement re puddicats statement about not having to 'engage' with these people to de-bunk it.

Obviously if you can already produve overwhelming evidence that it doesnt work - without my suggested experiment yes fine - but if you can't then experiment and engagement essential.

All credit to everyone involved for being provocative and creating a very lively and, I feel worthwhile debate.

Another thought - if we can find a vet or vet willing to research certain ' therapies' - how easily will we find 'therapists' willing to subject themselves to research?

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
Still here!! I didn't mean that you called anyone a second class citizen - that was a generalisation. About the educated bit, yes to a certain extent, you are right about us being hung up on education in this country so, point taken.

I also think that some novices that aren't stuffed full of advanced knowledge can have a lot to offer as they haven't been brainwashed (no offence, I think it is the best way to describe it) by education and therefore shouldn't be written off for their lack of knowledge.

tuscanyD

Visit site
"Yeah I agree, getting back to the magazine idea I think what it could do is deal with individual treatments and keep away from the people that practice them. There are two issues as I see it (1) does a treatment do anything useful (2) does a therapist apply that treatment in an appropriate way. "

Yep now that I'd pay money to read !

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
But surely if science proves *it can't* then that to should be explained??

I think you've got to be a bit careful with the 'p' word and the word 'can't'. A better way of putting it would be that science can show something is extremely unlikely to happen.

tuscanyD

Visit site
Puddicat one last question...

For realism - What colour should I paint the intestines on my Visible horse kit????

I'm concerned about the blurring of 'education' and 'intelligence'. The vet who treated my guinea pig was clearly educated but also an utter nob! [can I say that?]

No time to pursue it now - next week...?

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
Obviously if you can already produve overwhelming evidence that it doesnt work - without my suggested experiment yes fine

That is the situation is from my perspective. Given the totally representative set of things that I see going on, in cases there is a perfectly clear well established explanation but this exists in the knowledge domain occupied by scientists and vets. So a magazine could usefully attempt to translate it into the public domain.

All credit to everyone involved for being provocative and creating a very lively and, I feel worthwhile debate.

I agree than being very blatant as a I have been is good to get this sort of debate happening, but would just annoy people in a magazine. There's no doubt that vet's and clients (purely as an example pair) can see the world in very different ways but that means that if vets are going to write a magazine there's probably as much value in the attitude translation as there is in the translation of knowledge.

Another thought - if we can find a vet or vet willing to research certain ' therapies' - how easily will we find 'therapists' willing to subject themselves to research?

not too difficult from what people have told me.

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm concerned about the blurring of 'education' and 'intelligence'. The vet who treated my guinea pig was clearly educated but also an utter nob! [can I say that?]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot common sense - you can be the most well educatated and intelliegnt person on the planet but without common sense you're screwed!
grin.gif