New law/policy?

polopony

Visit site
Sorry to be another media student asking questions here, but...
If you were to see a new government policy introduced what would it be? Preferably horsey or countryside related?
Thanks for any helpful replies.
Polopony :)

Boulty

Visit site
Make leaving tethered animals unattended (esp at the side of busy national speed limit dual carriageways!) illegal

Blitzen

Visit site
This doesn't count as a new policy, but repeal the Hunting Act 2004 would be top of my list. Bl**dy useless piece of legislation!

jumpthemoon

Visit site
Every rider should wear a hat up to standard on the road, to include cyclists. It's all very well if they are happy to take the risk, but of someone knocks them off accidentally and something bad happens cos they don't have a hat on, the person has to live with that. It's not fair on other road users.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
It's illegal for dog owners to allow their dogs to chase livestock, and landowners have the right to shoot dogs worrying livestock.
I would like to extend this to make it illegal for dog owners to allow their dogs to chase horses, both if they are grazing in fields, or being ridden out hacking.

Silent Knight

Visit site
It's illegal for dog owners to allow their dogs to chase livestock, and landowners have the right to shoot dogs worrying livestock.
I would like to extend this to make it illegal for dog owners to allow their dogs to chase horses, both if they are grazing in fields, or being ridden out hacking.

hear hear
agree.gif

Kaylum

Visit site
All of the above. Especially the dog chasing one. It made me mad this morning on the bbc news about the youtube video that had been posted with the dog chasing the deer. What really should have been discussed is why the hell that happend not how much money the poster of the video might make!

Dolcé

Visit site

You do already have part of that, horses are already classed as livestock under that particular law and technically you could shoot dogs that chase them!

Tnavas

Visit site
Hold a referendum on our EU membership and have a annual MOT for horse trailers....

Are trailers not MOT'd - all our vehicles, trailers, trucks etc have to have a WOF inspection (Warrent of Fitness) every 6 months. We don't use salt on the roads here so rust is not a big problem until your vehicle is in its 20's - like mine! fortunately no rust.

What often happens in UK filters down to NZ - I think that the section of the Highway code regarding horses should be a compulsory section to be questioned on when all drivers do their test.

Helmets compulsory for all riders , not just 16 & under. Bring back hunting - so rediculous UK must be overrun with foxes! we hunt hares here - no foxes in NZ.

More bridleways - desperately needed here as they just weren't incorporated in villages when first settled.

perfect11s

Visit site
Are trailers not MOT'd - all our vehicles, trailers, trucks etc have to have a WOF inspection (Warrent of Fitness) every 6 months. We don't use salt on the roads here so rust is not a big problem until your vehicle is in its 20's - like mine! fortunately no rust.

What often happens in UK filters down to NZ - I think that the section of the Highway code regarding horses should be a compulsory section to be questioned on when all drivers do their test.

Helmets compulsory for all riders , not just 16 & under. Bring back hunting - so rediculous UK must be overrun with foxes! we hunt hares here - no foxes in NZ.

More bridleways - desperately needed here as they just weren't incorporated in villages when first settled.
No rego or warrent on small trailers here!! just a number plate the same as the car towing it hook up and go It ill be right!!!!

touchstone

Visit site

I believe that this is already covered in law, horses are classed as livestock in cases of dog worrying and a dog chasing a horse out on a hack would be classed as out of control and the owner liable to prosecution.

gill84

Visit site
Change the laws/ restrictions placed on the RSPCA etc. They can't do much of anything until an animal is vertually on deaths door and that's not right

indie999

Visit site
open some old footpaths to horses (too much been spent on gates/bridges for walkers)ie make it easier to get status changed

Grit minor roads and all roads properly and pavements

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Incorporate the teaching of 'passing horses appropriately' on the road in Driving Lessons and the actual Test.
Allow people to be fined if proven to have sped past/beeped/been an ar$e whilst passing you on the road riding.