New life to look forward to

albeg

Visit site
It's very good value for money over here (in some parts) - €300k would have bought my friend's little place last year - a lovely old farmhouse, stables, arena, 5 acres of paddocks, lovely hacking, lovely views, and a stone's throw from Cavan EC. Don't all rush at once ;)

Too far from work unfortunately. Close enough to family though.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Congrats and welcome! I did something similar myself 4 years ago, though the sale of my ex-council 2-bed semi didn't quite manage something in good order (semi-derelict was a better description, we've just about finished sorting it now). Dietrus in barns and a scary toilet sounds very familiar though!

I kept a blog when we moved, haven't been great about keeping it updated but if your interested - https://towercottage.weebly.com/

Micky

Visit site
Sounds fab and what potential..holiday cottage?! ..miles of hacking..peat land is a pain (almost a year since I moved to a peat ridden fields but to be on your own land own house, own boss is absolute bliss if a bit hard sometimes, wouldn’t swap it for the world..hope you have many many happy years there..

JenniD

Visit site
I have a bit of history when it comes to moving on when life gives me a bit of a kicking but this is the biggest upheaval yet. I have bought a little farm in South West County Sligo and I'm going to retire in five and a half weeks time and up sticks. The sale of 8 acres of windswept Dartmoor and some fairly dilapidated stables plus my beloved shepherd's hut financed all but €20,000 of the purchase price of a compact 3 bed/2 bath single story house in the Irish tradition which is in good order, another 2 room plus bathroom cottage in good order, a corrugated 2 bay Dutch barn and a concrete block cow shed which I will convert to stables. There is a space ideal for a school (no planning required) and a few other outbuildings with solid walls and good roofs and an unspeakable outside lav. Most of the land is peat bog but there is enough good quality pasture for my needs. It isn't pretty country but it is 1 mile from the village, 4 miles from the nearest town and 9 miles from Knock Airport and the bog tracks are great for hacking so ideal for a 60 year old. I never dreamed I could have my horses at home or be able to design my own stables (Monarch catalogue in the post). There is a fair amount of detritus in some of the buildings which I suppose I will be left to dispose of but actually I can't wait to get stuck in - even the loo! I would be madly excited if I could bring myself to believe it is happening.
Good for you! enjoy every minute of your retirement. I was born and brought up in Ireland, so I know how beautiful it is! Quigley is a good old Irish name!;)