New livery should the stable be spotless

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi Guys,

So today I have agreed to take a horse on livery well kind off . It’s only until feb/March but essentially a friend of a friend. Has her horse at a livery yard currently she has an old retired horse who was turned out with YO oldie. They had been living out 24/7 only in when weather was very very bad. The YO oldie died a few weeks ago. So the horsey wasn’t happy when the other came in he’s been galloping up and down due to lack of friends. Apparently nothing else can stay out with him at night and they have said that he can’t live in the barn at nights permanently. Essentially when weather was bad they used to come in to a barn of some kind. Anyway the yard owner has told my new livery he had to leave within the next week ?

So anyways I have my oldie tribe here at home and one more isn’t a big deal as his owner will pay for him being here, his feed and towards the hay. Etc . However due to her work commitments and mine I can only have him arrive Wednesday. As I want to make sure he’s settled for a few days before I go into the office Friday.

However I won’t have time tomorrow to give the stable a clean as I need to put the bed down tomorrow. It’s a little dusty and has some cobwebs which I tried to get down with a broom with no luck . Is that okay ? Or is it really bad it isn’t spotless ? Hopefully they will only been in on the nights until the weather improves at the weekend ?

My pony has been in there for when they come in. He has now been evicted into the very large mare and foal box with the shitland. Can’t imagine he will be impressed but it’s a 12ft by 20ft stable so I am sure they will cope ? . Yes you read that right the shitland has been living like a lord in the massive stable only because he’s an idiot and rears up and gets his feet suck on the leg in the other stables

jkitten

Visit site
I think in your shoes I might let them know in advance, 'look I don't have time to clean before he arrives so except a little dust and some cobwebs'. That's completely fair enough and a) gives new livery a chance to do it herself if she wants and b) lets her know that that's not your 'usual standard of housekeeping' so to speak.

Equi

Visit site
When I went to view my new livery the stable was in use by a horse in for training or some such thing. Yo said she would clear it and I said why it’s a perfectly useable bed and if you don’t want it I’ll take it ?

when I got my new horse, the majority of my old horses bedding was still in it. Waste not want not an all.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thanks everyone . She didn’t seem bothered when she came up today to discuss. I would have loved to give it a good jet wash but the weather isn’t up to it . I think she is just relived to have him somewhere with some buddies
I have at least 1 emergency stable. Its kept tidy most of the time and scrubbed out when vacated each time, but if its needed for friends or their friends in an emergency then its accepted 'as is' and I'll clean any webs and dust out if time before they arrive, otherwise soon after.

rextherobber

Visit site
I have at least 1 emergency stable. Its kept tidy most of the time and scrubbed out when vacated each time, but if its needed for friends or their friends in an emergency then its accepted 'as is' and I'll clean any webs and dust out if time before they arrive, otherwise soon after.
How do you do this?! My spotless, emergency stable seems to fill overnight with wet rugs, empty feed sacks, jump wings...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
How do you do this?! My spotless, emergency stable seems to fill overnight with wet rugs, empty feed sacks, jump wings...
Because I have another stable next to it that I use for dumping stuff and a corner in the hay barn ?? I only have 2 these days, with 5 stables (and another 2 old stables that are next to yard and currently used as a field shelter with partition removed, doors off and strengthened) x

Arzada

Visit site
Thanks everyone . She didn’t seem bothered when she came up today to discuss. I would have loved to give it a good jet wash but the weather isn’t up to it . I think she is just relived to have him somewhere with some buddies

Mary3050 - after reading threads about problems with livery without a contract I'm hoping that in the interests of both parties that you will have a livery contract in place. Raising this matter kindly.

EchoInterrupted

Visit site
I would just be thankful someone had helped me out when I was in need of a stable!

Just a side note on cobwebs - I've actually been told by an old yard manager that cobwebs are extremely flammable and can cause fires to spread faster, so removing cobwebs should be a regular part of everyone's yard maintenance routine :) Not sure if it's true, but doesn't hurt to remove them regularly I suppose!

luckyoldme

Visit site
Op you sound like a total dream come true for this lucky owner.
I really do hope that this arrangement works out well for you both...and that new livery is a nice person.

PurBee

Visit site
Cobwebs are handy to be able to see how dusty your ‘dust extracted’ bedding really is! ?

My barn has some hooooge cobwebs and equally hoooooge spiders living in them! I marvel at them ?

The useful aspect to not dusting a stable, i noticed when my gelding was in wood-chewing mode one year, he didnt chew any wooden support slats/frames that had dust/cobwebs on them. Mines a fully wood built building. He chewed just the front door frame that is dust-free, and outside bits of wood slats he could find. Thankgod - he could have brought the barn down! I was slapping old engine oil everywhere so the front frame retained structural strength!
So if you have a wood chewer, keep the dust, they prefer to chew clean wood! ?