New Lorry Mirror Laws

dieseldog

Visit site
I posted this in NL, but thought I would put it in here as well as I know some of you don't venture over there.

As some of you know new laws came in on 31st March 2009 for lorries first registered after 1 Jan 2000. there has been a lot of confusion as to wether you need to fit the extra mirrors due to the low cab concession rule

If you were thinking that you didn't need the new mirrors because of the low cab concession rule and you drive a normal standard 7.5t such as an Iveco or a DAF, you need to get the new mirrors before your test.

You also need to complete this form and take it with you Mirror Compliance Form VOSA will look at it and then give it back to you. If you don't have the completed form you will fail.

They don't check your mirrors at the test, but if you are missing them it is obvious.

The mirrors that you need are here Mirror Rules.

The guidance isn't very helpful, so I phoned VOSA up and they weren't very helpful - they said I might need them. So I ended up going to the Test Centre and asked the people doing the actual test and they told me that I did.

The guidance is a bit misleading. If your vehicle was first registered after 1 Jan 2000 you need a normal mirror, a wide angle mirror and a kerbside mirror - which is mounted above the door. You do not need the mirror that is on the windscreen. Both the wide angle and kerbside mirrors need to have a 300mm diameter. Older ones have 400mm.

If your vehicle was first registered after 26th Jan 2007 then in addition to the above you also need a mirror that attaches to your windscreen.

Here's the bad news. I had to also change my mirror arm as it was impossible to mount another mirror to the original arm. There are no Iveco mirror arms left in the country, I got lucky as someone had returned one.

There are no Iveco kerbside mirrors left in the country, the dealer in Bristol has had all their back orders cancelled by the supplier as they can't make them quick enough.

I found Intertruck good, but at the time they didn't have the mirror arms, but I bought a wide angle mirror for £30 and a DAF kerbside mirror including the bracket for £25. The Mirror arm cost me £40 from Iveco. I am lucky as my OH fitted them all for me.

Hope this helps and saves someone failing as the test fee has just gone up to £75 as well.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Just a word of warning if you get stopped by Vosa and don't have these on now you are breaking the law.

I expect they are gone now but I got by armns and mirrors off ebay!

dieseldog

Visit site
I would have gone to Ebay as well, but I only realised a week before my test that I might need them - thanks to a post by Jetset about her lorry failing.

_jetset_

Visit site
Yep... Doris failed her MOT a few weeks ago because of this (and it was not just me who missed it either, she went for a pre-MOT check by the manufacturer!)

Please everyone get it sorted asap as Sarah_Jane is quite right, if VOSA stop you (and there are so many on the roads at the moment...) you are breaking the law
frown.gif

If you do fail on this one issue though, you qualify for a part paid retest which is £13.00

dressagecrazy

Visit site
Am i right that my lorry doesnt have to be retro fitted with the mirrors as it was registered in 1998??

Just checking again as i have Plaiting on Sat morning. Will probably have got the rules wrong knowing me.

jess_asterix

Visit site
My boyfriend has just had to put them on his lorry, luckily it went in for service 2 weeks before MOT and they did it for him but aparantly there is at least and 8 week wait in our area for mirrors!

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Am i right that my lorry doesnt have to be retro fitted with the mirrors as it was registered in 1998??

Just checking again as i have Plaiting on Sat morning. Will probably have got the rules wrong knowing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct you don't need them.

dressagecrazy

Visit site
Thanks saw your other post in General & someone had said on there.
I was followed by Vosa last week on the M-way so im sure they would of pulled me up if there was anything wrong. There hot with Horseboxes atm.

Fingers crossed we pass the plaiting, i hate going there every year.

punk

Visit site
Have just read all these posts and got in a real panic!!!! Lorry is booked in for test next week, and I didn't know about the mirrors!
shocked.gif

Rang my mechanic, who said not to worry as our local testing station is not failing vehicles for lack of mirrors - at the moment anyway!!!!!!!!!!!
confused.gif
(May be because no-one can get them at the mo?? Mine is 2002 Iveco)

Could be worth ringing some testing stations to ask the question, and say that you can provide proof that you have them on order??
confused.gif

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
OMG they dont half make this confusing, I was under the impression due to the exclusion clause that my lorry did not need them. Fortunately the people I use to look after my lorry have the correct mirror arms etc in stock and can do it tomorrow. More expense, wonder how many of the other European countries are actually enforcing this?

daisycrazy

Visit site
If anybody is stuck for mirrors it may be worth ringing round the scrap yards. Thankfully mine was registered in 1999! Although it has an awful lot of mirrors so might have them anyway.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I thought due to the 2m exclusion clause that my lorry (2001 Iveco) would not need them, this was also the interpretation of a friend who runs a fleet of lorries and his boss also!

Garage I use has said that if they took my lorry for test now it would fail instantly because of the mirrors. As you say just more expense. Will let you know tomorrow if I think they are worth the money! Been quoted about £175 to do them.

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If anybody is stuck for mirrors it may be worth ringing round the scrap yards. Thankfully mine was registered in 1999! Although it has an awful lot of mirrors so might have them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful with scrapyards as they have also changed the curvature of the wide angle and kerbside mirrors from 400m to 300mm. If you are getting 2nd hand ones there is a good chance that they will be the wrong style.

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I thought there was something about them not being necessary if they'd be below a certain height, so my lorry (04 Iveco) would be exempt? am i wrong?
argh. more money.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what we all thought - turns out that normal Ivecos etc do need them. I think the exemption applies more to vehicles like this which are over 3.5t but have a van type cab. I might be wrong if you do own one of these so I would check if I was you.
Victory_main.jpg