New Native Owner (Highland) - Please Tell All!

PercyMum

Visit site
After much mental wrangling after another broken and now retired horse, I have thrown in the towel when it comes to big horses and pure TB's. I am now (as from Saturday) the proud owner of a Highland x 7/8ths TB (well, I couldn't completely wean myself off :p).

She is 15.3hh, still a teeny bit bum-high at rising 6 and looks like an overheight Highland - not sure where the TB is in her! She was bred at Nashend Stud and I have met the breeder and her Dam. Her sire was Brig O'Doone and he looked like a super boy. She has done very little except hack and is a lovely kind girl. I am so excited as I have never had a Highland and looking forward to something completely different...

...and so is there anything that I need to know about natives and in particular Highlands? Clearly feeding one will be hugely different to feeding a TB so I know Ihave to be very careful there. Any other tips or pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks!

Highlands

Visit site
I think I have seen her advertised! Lovely girl.

1) they own you and are very addictive. Watch it before you know they multiply and you have 4 of them!
2) don't give into them, they are very intelligent and don't suffer fools. Never let them nap if done once they learn
3) feeding don't over fed, little hard feed, try a balancer.
4) they don't mature till 8!

Welcome to the clan!

Brig O Doon was a lovely boy, Penny from Nashend is lovely and would love to know how you get on. Mums known her since the 1960s!

JustWilliam

Visit site
I agree with all the above, they definitely own you! I can't wait to have another one either. Watch the waistline, mine lives on fresh air and does very well on it. He will have a go at anything and is fairly brave but can put a good buck in or two just to keep my on my toes. I have had cobs and welshies mostly, Tom is my first highland and I am hooked! You will have fun!

Greylegs

Visit site
I moved onto a highland 3 years ago and have never looked back. Totally love my boy and would never go back to anything else . (My lad is out of a Nashend mare btw ... ) He lives on a handful of chaff with a bit of low cal balancer, a modest quantity of haylage and very sparse grazing, so do watch his waistline. He's very cheeky and opinionated, will take the mick if you let him but does everything. Lovely dressage, safe but forward going hack, pops a fence, perfect pony for me. On the down side, I didn't clip him out and he's currently shedding a very thick coat, but otherwise, enjoy your lovely new pony. I'm jealous ... Would def have at least one more if I had time/funds .... They are addictive.

honetpot

Visit site
They do not know their own strength, which is good, but it means they will break anything that will not withstand an elephant and not even notice. Never expect to win an argument with force, they are always stronger, they are simple souls driven by food and a quiet life.

windand rain

Visit site
Best and most versatile of all the breeds mine do everything from teaching kids to ride to novice dressage jump 80cm courses and are fast round cross country courses. If kept out 24/7 the maintain fitness almost without trying and are great for leaving if you are busy and then being picked up and ridden they usually dont care too much when the last time was Only downside is if you dont keep on top of their manners they can be a bit rude and bargy but they learn so quickly it isnt always a problem then quick learning means bad as well as good things

PercyMum

Visit site
Thanks All! She will be stabled overnight during the winter but that's to save the grazing. And I do like my nags tucked up at night when its cold :). Its going to be so strange not having a mega-high maintenance horse! Although I am worried that after all the TLC I have lavished on the fields over the last 12 months, I now have lush lovely fields but a horse that doesn't need it!! I am guessing a grass muzzle could be a wise investment? Any recommendations?

I'm just hoping beyond hope that this little lady won't have the issues associated with big TB types.

And here is her ad so hopefully you can see how sweet she is. She does need to go on a wee diet though... But she does have the most luscious bottom I think I have ever seen on a horse. Might rename her Beyonce...

http://horses4homes.net/portal/en/details/nashend-bucks-fizz-7810

Dry Rot

Visit site
I don't really know much about the character of TBs so can't compare but Highlands are just nice people! At least, mine are. I haven't met a nasty one yet, nor have any of mine been ill or sick. Of the several we have now backed, there has only been one half hearted buck amongst the lot of them and no rearing. I'm told they can be stubborn but have never encountered that. They do sometimes need time to consider things and don't like to be rushed. They will surprise you. Two of us were watching one of my 3yo's (the girl grooming someone, me fitting a new water trough) when she suddenly jumped a stock fence with a rail on top from a standing start! So far as we could see, she just did it because she wanted to get to the other side! So they can jump. Don't dismiss them as "safe plodders" only suitable for old riders who have lost their nerve, they have fire and guts enough when needed.