New neighbors horses pooping everywhere

Benny1981

Visit site
Hello. I have a bit of a problem it may seem silly but here goes... I live in a semi rural area on a semi busy road. I've recently had a new neighbor lady move in a couple houses down. She cleared the land and built a horse barn and started with 2-3 nice big horses. I thought to myself neat! It would be cool to have some horses riding around from time to time? who doesn't like watching horses ride past? They would ride them down the side of the road a few feet onto my grass to a little trail that goes to my woodlot just passed my yard. I understand they don't want to be out in traffic so I never said anything about them riding down my lawn to get to the woods trails. So it's been a year and I think my neighbor lady started boarding horses because now there's about 10 horses and a bunch of young women riding past all the time. There's a group of them that rides almost every day and I started noticing alot of horse poop piles along my driveway and lawn where they ride. So I was home one day doing yard work and I saw the group of young ladies riding from the barn heading for the trails the horse in the front stops and takes a huge poop right on my lawn right with all the other poop they have been leaving sence these new horses and riders show up. So they had a good laugh and start riding away. So I went over and say hello,can I talk to you ladies for a min. They stop and I calmly (I do know to to shout and be a jerk around horses) calmly ask them if they wouldn't mind mabey cleaning up some of the poop. She looks at me with a smirk and says horses shit wherever they want and no way in hell will they come and clean up the horse shit!! Deal with it!! (Quite a mouth on this girl!) So I just whatever and walk away. I felt like telling her that the trail they ride on is mine and with out my trail they couldn't get to the other trails?. So now what? I don't want to tell them they can't use the trails cause trails are great and I enjoy trails with my ATV too. It would also ruin it for the rest of the horse riders there. I don't know why the horses feel the need to poop all over my yard just about every day when the trail starts 200 feet past my yard. I wish they would hold it till the trail and bombs away out there where it doesn't matter! So I'm on this horse forum asking all you horse riders what should I do now? I need some insight from a riders point of view I guess. But I don't want to put up a fence to keep them in the road! I don't want any horses getting hit out there and I don't want to close the trail. I feel like I have been more than patient and fair, and the lady that ownes the barn is very nice too nice so she doesn't seem to say anything to the borders about when I bring it up. what do you riders do if your horse poops in someone's landscaping? How would you handle this situation? Thank you for your time. Let's have a discussion about this.

MissTyc

Visit site
At my yard we have to ride for about 300m of public road, and I make the younger girls go out twice a week in summer and once a week in winter to poo pick. It makes for better neighbourly relations and ours is on public road, not private. One of the neighbours has now put out a big wheelie bin and we empty the road poo into there and he pops it into his garden - lovely man. I have to admit, we didn't start the regular poo picking until about 10 years ago when a neighbour complained, fairly politely. We took it on board. We're not all unreasonable.

Wheels

Visit site
Go to the yard owner, explain the lawn is yours, plus the trail. Tell her she is welcome to use it, but the land needs to be respected. If they can’t do that, they can’t ride it....

This 100%

You tried talking to the riders and they ignored so I would go to the yard owner and ask that they come and clean up at least once a week or whatever arrangement you come to

Thank you on behalf of all riders that you allow horses to cross your land as many dont

Benny1981

Visit site
At my yard we have to ride for about 300m of public road, and I make the younger girls go out twice a week in summer and once a week in winter to poo pick. It makes for better neighbourly relations and ours is on public road, not private. One of the neighbours has now put out a big wheelie bin and we empty the road poo into there and he pops it into his garden - lovely man. I have to admit, we didn't start the regular poo picking until about 10 years ago when a neighbour complained, fairly politely. We took it on board. We're not all unreasonable.
I know you're not, I like horses too. I just don't know anything about them. I like watching them ride by,wouldn't even mind if they shoveled it into the woods. Not right when it happens when they get back to the barn after the ride. Or the next few days would be fine. A big pile in the driveway or in front of the mail box witch seems to be popular lately would be nice to see it go after the ride. Thanx for yr input ?

Benny1981

Visit site
I know you're not, I like horses too. I just don't know anything about them. I like watching them ride by,wouldn't even mind if they shoveled it into the woods. Not right when it happens when they get back to the barn after the ride. Or the next few days would be fine. A big pile in the driveway or in front of the mail box witch seems to be popular lately would be nice to see it go after the ride. Thanx for yr input ?

doodle

Visit site
Horses are creatures of habit and tend to poo where they always poo. So if horses get used to pooing in your lawn then they will continue to do so. Riders have very little control over that. If riders will not remove afterwards and you have raised the situation before then all you can do is fence it off.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I used to have to ride through a neighborhood and did not ride on anyone's lawn unless a close or dangerous driver forced me to (never happened). I ride on the road. Still, the horses were leaving droppings in the road. Those living in the neighborhood then put up a sign saying to remove the droppings from the horses. So we did. I'd wheel a bin up the road, or toss a bucket and fork in the back of my car. No big deal.

Horses shit. However, it's very rude to leave it on someone's lawn or driveway. Especially if you can just come with a shovel or fork and toss it into the woods. That's even easier. If you cannot reason with these people, close the trail. They earned that closure.

You could always put the poop in a bag whilst they're out riding and place said bag full of shit in the front seat of their car.

?

Kidding, don't do that! But...

Winters100

Visit site
Poor you, this is not nice at all. It is true that horses do poop where they want, and equally true that getting off to pick it up while riding is problematic, however you sound very reasonable and kind, so I am sure a solution could be found if they were equally reasonable. Would it be OK for you if, for example, they collected it on the way back from their ride? Maybe you could agree a spot where they could leave the implements out of sight, and they could hop off on their way home and deal with it?

They are treating you with great disrespect, so I would be inclined to close the trail for now with a simple rope and some signs. At the same time I would send a nice note to the yard owner explaining that you are happy to allow access subject to them agreeing to follow some reasonable rules regarding your property.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think I would ban the big mouth girl in particular. It would likely teach her a valuable life lesson.

TBH, if you have already approached the riders and the barn owner, I think I would fence it off temporarily, with tape or something. Just to enforce the point. I would fence the poo in with the single strand of tape, and maybe leave a sign, saying that the tape stays up until the poo is removed.

Goodness me, I used to be permitted to ride on a farmer's drive to access better riding, I used to call at Xmas with a bottle of something to show my appreciation. Sadly, other people were not respectful and a chain appeared over the track.

doodle

Visit site
Unfortunately that is what horses do! Our 2 horses always poo in the same 3 places in the field.
We are lucky to be able to ride through the grounds of a school. If a horse poos then I go back in the car with bucket and shovel and remove. If on the general road I wouldn’t. If it is that close to a road and their yard they could do the same, even if it was after they got back from a ride.

Benny1981

Visit site
Poor you, this is not nice at all. It is true that horses do poop where they want, and equally true that getting off to pick it up while riding is problematic, however you sound very reasonable and kind, so I am sure a solution could be found if they were equally reasonable. Would it be OK for you if, for example, they collected it on the way back from their ride? Maybe you could agree a spot where they could leave the implements out of sight, and they could hop off on their way home and deal with it?

They are treating you with great disrespect, so I would be inclined to close the trail for now with a simple rope and some signs. At the same time I would send a nice note to the yard owner explaining that you are happy to allow access subject to them agreeing to follow some reasonable rules regarding your property.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
I was very surprised by the young ladies actions. I don't understand how they're responsible enough to ride a huge horse around but not enough to realize it would be nice to at least deal with the poop. And to be so rude about it. It's strange!

Benny1981

Visit site
Unfortunately that is what horses do! Our 2 horses always poo in the same 3 places in the field.
We are lucky to be able to ride through the grounds of a school. If a horse poos then I go back in the car with bucket and shovel and remove. If on the general road I wouldn’t. If it is that close to a road and their yard they could do the same, even if it was after they got back from a ride.
That would be great

Benny1981

Visit site
That would be great if they would at least try. I don't even care if they just shovel it in to the woods. I'd leave them a wheel barrow and a shovel even. Take a couple days fine but if they pile one on the driveway it would be nice to see it get taken care of after the ride. The poop on the lawn could times a week would be great

Benny1981

Visit site
The answer is for the yard owner to spend some one down everyday to clear up.
To achieve I think you should write to her ( probably email) explaining you are closing off the access because of the issue but you prepared to discuss reopening it if she will arrange daily poop collection .
Yes its just gotta happen I guess. It's just like come on work with me. I know it's the woman's lively hood too. I'm right between a rock and a hard place with this one.

Winters100

Visit site
I was very surprised by the young ladies actions. I don't understand how they're responsible enough to ride a huge horse around but not enough to realize it would be nice to at least deal with the poop. And to be so rude about it. It's strange!

Sadly it is people like this young 'lady' who cause the rest of the horse owning community to be viewed as arrogant and entitled. Thank you that, instead of just shutting the trail and forming this opinion, you made the effort to ask for opinions here. Not all of us are like that, if someone gave me permission to ride over their land I would be eternally grateful, would clean it immaculately after, and keep them with a regular supply of wine and chocolates!

Benny1981

Visit site
I used to have to ride through a neighborhood and did not ride on anyone's lawn unless a close or dangerous driver forced me to (never happened). I ride on the road. Still, the horses were leaving droppings in the road. Those living in the neighborhood then put up a sign saying to remove the droppings from the horses. So we did. I'd wheel a bin up the road, or toss a bucket and fork in the back of my car. No big deal.

Horses shit. However, it's very rude to leave it on someone's lawn or driveway. Especially if you can just come with a shovel or fork and toss it into the woods. That's even easier. If you cannot reason with these people, close the trail. They earned that closure.

You could always put the poop in a bag whilst they're out riding and place said bag full of shit in the front seat of their car.

?

Kidding, don't do that! But...
Ha the poop in a bag sounds like a good plan!! On a nice hot day with the windows rolled up!!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you sort it out with the yard owner she has too keep to her part of the agreement or lose the hacking .
If you try to negotiate with the riders you have to do over and over again if there’s a poop there and you did not see the culprit you cant do much .
I used to go to the US a lot and there are riders there who have not picked up a poop in their lives .
To have peace and the issue addressed you have to get tough now I can’t think of another way forward .

PapaverFollis

Visit site
One of mine has developed a habit of pooping right outside my near neighbour's driveway almost every time we ride out. It's on the road (so gets squashed by cars and disappears pretty quickly) but if he goes too close to their driveway I toddle along after our ride with my wheelbarrow and clear up. Unfortunately I can't control where he poops but I also don't want to upset my neighbours.

Generally I don't feel the need to clean up after them because there's sheep and cows go past regularly too and the farmers don't clean up! But right outside a driveway that we pass every single time we hack. I'll clean that up.