New neighbors horses pooping everywhere

Benny1981

Visit site
At my yard we have to ride for about 300m of public road, and I make the younger girls go out twice a week in summer and once a week in winter to poo pick. It makes for better neighbourly relations and ours is on public road, not private. One of the neighbours has now put out a big wheelie bin and we empty the road poo into there and he pops it into his garden - lovely man. I have to admit, we didn't start the regular poo picking until about 10 years ago when a neighbour complained, fairly politely. We took it on board. We're not all unreasonable.
At my yard we have to ride for about 300m of public road, and I make the younger girls go out twice a week in summer and once a week in winter to poo pick. It makes for better neighbourly relations and ours is on public road, not private. One of the neighbours has now put out a big wheelie bin and we empty the road poo into there and he pops it into his garden - lovely man. I have to admit, we didn't start the regular poo picking until about 10 years ago when a neighbour complained, fairly politely. We took it on board. We're not all unreasonable.
Poor you, this is not nice at all. It is true that horses do poop where they want, and equally true that getting off to pick it up while riding is problematic, however you sound very reasonable and kind, so I am sure a solution could be found if they were equally reasonable. Would it be OK for you if, for example, they collected it on the way back from their ride? Maybe you could agree a spot where they could leave the implements out of sight, and they could hop off on their way home and deal with it?

They are treating you with great disrespect, so I would be inclined to close the trail for now with a simple rope and some signs. At the same time I would send a nice note to the yard owner explaining that you are happy to allow access subject to them agreeing to follow some reasonable rules regarding your property.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Yes I would love to provide a spot and tools too, I know they must know how to use a shovel because they seem to have no problem cleaning out the horse beds in the barn.?

Benny1981

Visit site
One of mine has developed a habit of pooping right outside my near neighbour's driveway almost every time we ride out. It's on the road (so gets squashed by cars and disappears pretty quickly) but if he goes too close to their driveway I toddle along after our ride with my wheelbarrow and clear up. Unfortunately I can't control where he poops but I also don't want to upset my neighbours.

Generally I don't feel the need to clean up after them because there's sheep and cows go past regularly too and the farmers don't clean up! But right outside a driveway that we pass every single time we hack. I'll clean that up.
. I agree with you 100% about leaving the poop where it's not gonna be a problem. The woods trail is covered in poop, there are other horses that ride out there from the other side of town. A few different barns that all come in from different places. But my neighbor is the only barn on my road. I've seen groups of 15to 20 horses and riders out there many times. I talk with them when I'm riding my ATV around out there. 95%of the riders are very nice and respectful!! I find some of the younger riders can be a little snooty at times but kids will be kids.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Go to the yard owner, explain the lawn is yours, plus the trail. Tell her she is welcome to use it, but the land needs to be respected. If they can’t do that, they can’t ride it....

This. Stick up a sign too politely asking riders to clear up their poo since its your property, otherwise you will have to fence off your trail.

Benny1981

Visit site
Sadly it is people like this young 'lady' who cause the rest of the horse owning community to be viewed as arrogant and entitled. Thank you that, instead of just shutting the trail and forming this opinion, you made the effort to ask for opinions here. Not all of us are like that, if someone gave me permission to ride over their land I would be eternally grateful, would clean it immaculately after, and keep them with a regular supply of wine and chocolates!
You sound like the neighbors I need! I'm always riding around out there with my ATV and I love it! But as people move into town they bitch about the trails and slowly get them shut down. I think you horse riders should team up with us ATV riders to try and preserve our much needed release in the woods. All this horse talk kinda makes me learn to ride.......

Benny1981

Visit site
You sound like the neighbors I need! I'm always riding around out there with my ATV and I love it! But as people move into town they bitch about the trails and slowly get them shut down. I think you horse riders should team up with us ATV riders to try and preserve our much needed release in the woods. All this horse talk kinda makes me learn to ride.......
They're just so big and tall I don't know if I climb onto one and stay up there ?

Auslander

Visit site
Put a gate up with a coded lock. Give the barn owner the code, and tel her that if anyone leaves poo on your property and doesn't come and clear it up, you will change the code, and the new code won't be given out until your land is cleared.
I'd also change the code if any of the riders spoke to me like that, and refuse to share it til they apologised!

My yard (barn) is at the far end of a farm, which is no longer a working farm - the buildings are mostly inhabited by small motor businesses. If any of my liveries (boarders) leave a poo anywhere on the route from the yard to the arena, or the road, they need to pick it up before they go home, or I charge them £1 per poo! We have a poo emoji shaped money box, so it's pretty lighthearted, but everyone knows that I will enforce! I can identify exactly which horse is the culprit too, so no-one can get away with "It wasn't me!"

Winters100

Visit site

ATV is a quad or a four wheel drive car? I have a Land Rover which is fabulous in the forest - and like you I am lucky enough to live fight next to the forest. It gets a lot of use:):)

Benny1981

Visit site
If you sort it out with the yard owner she has too keep to her part of the agreement or lose the hacking .
If you try to negotiate with the riders you have to do over and over again if there’s a poop there and you did not see the culprit you cant do much .
I used to go to the US a lot and there are riders there who have not picked up a poop in their lives .
To have peace and the issue addressed you have to get tough now I can’t think of another way forward .
. Most of the poop stays where it was dropped around here, and that's fine as there's a fair amount of woods between the houses. It's just my yard I'd like to be respected. I did have a nice lawn right to the road,yea the horses dig it up with the hoofs but it's just big pile of poop all the time that gets old. I understand they want to be off the road to be safe so the lawn with horse tracks not a big deal. But my lawnmower don't like the poop piles too much. I wish they would keep walking and poop at least it would be spread out?

Benny1981

Visit site
Put a gate up with a coded lock. Give the barn owner the code, and tel her that if anyone leaves poo on your property and doesn't come and clear it up, you will change the code, and the new code won't be given out until your land is cleared.
I'd also change the code if any of the riders spoke to me like that, and refuse to share it til they apologised!

My yard (barn) is at the far end of a farm, which is no longer a working farm - the buildings are mostly inhabited by small motor businesses. If any of my liveries (boarders) leave a poo anywhere on the route from the yard to the arena, or the road, they need to pick it up before they go home, or I charge them £1 per poo! We have a poo emoji shaped money box, so it's pretty lighthearted, but everyone knows that I will enforce! I can identify exactly which horse is the culprit too, so no-one can get away with "It wasn't me!"
Not a bad idea at all!! I don't know about identifying the culprit for me tho, all I can tell from the poop is a horse was here and it's usually a big green pyramid???

Benny1981

Visit site
ATV is a quad or a four wheel drive car? I have a Land Rover which is fabulous in the forest - and like you I am lucky enough to live fight next to the forest. It gets a lot of use:):)
Yes its a quad, lots of fun too. Most of my friends have them as well. Couldn't imagine not having woods around. That's why this topic bothers me so much, it really makes me go against all I stand for

Winters100

Visit site
Yes its a quad, lots of fun too. Most of my friends have them as well. Couldn't imagine not having woods around. That's why this topic bothers me so much, it really makes me go against all I stand for

I can understand that, but you are being more than reasonable in saying 'by all means use my land to access trails, just please leave it as you find it'. And I think you will find that closing off the access for a day will be very effective in bringing them to the table to agree some reasonable rules.

scats

Visit site
So sorry to hear that these people are behaving like this OP. We’re not all like this!
If they are not respecting your property and you have approached the neighbour, but it’s fallen on deaf ears, then I would shut the trail and explain that you would be happy to re-open it again if they would respect your property (and good will!) and return after their ride to clear any mess.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I once moved onto a large driveway to allow a car past safely on a single track road. While we stopped E took the opportunity to leave a huge pile of poo on their driveway (at the edge but still, obviously on their property). I drove round later with a scoop and moved it to about 50 yards down on the road verge. The house has fabulous gardens and veg patch and I wondered if they might have thought I was stealing the poo for my garden...close enough they could get it for their garden in case they wanted it, but not close enough to be a problem. :D

Benny1981

Visit site
It will probably only need to be a temporary measure.[/QUOTE
This 100%

You tried talking to the riders and they ignored so I would go to the yard owner and ask that they come and clean up at least once a week or whatever arrangement you come to

Thank you on behalf of all riders that you allow horses to cross your land as many dont
No problem at all I feel the woods and trails are very important and more people should take the time to enjoy it! I live in Maine and Maine is a state that alot of people make there living in the woods myself included and a lot of us hunt, fish, snowmobile lots of ATVs and lots of horses around here too. We're woods people and we respect the woods. people from away are coming up and buying all the land and building subdivisions and houses everywhere. Most of the trails I used as a kid are gone now. It just sux for everyone so I fight it as much as I can. I mean I've let the riders ride right on the lawn just to be safer and further from the road. So granted the horses do kinda tear it up but it's not that bad. I don't mind that so much just the poop pyramids all the time are getting old. Maybe they think cause it's tore up now it doesn't matter? But I have brought it to there attention many times.

Benny1981

Visit site
I once moved onto a large driveway to allow a car past safely on a single track road. While we stopped E took the opportunity to leave a huge pile of poo on their driveway (at the edge but still, obviously on their property). I drove round later with a scoop and moved it to about 50 yards down on the road verge. The house has fabulous gardens and veg patch and I wondered if they might have thought I was stealing the poo for my garden...close enough they could get it for their garden in case they wanted it, but not close enough to be a problem. :D
Thats very considerate of you! I wish my horsey neighbors would get it figured out. I'm just gonna have to do it the hard way☹️ It's just crazy it's gotta come to this. I mean wtf, I don't complain about anything the barn does the poop pile at the barn stinks sometimes but it's not that bad it just smells horse. I didn't even go to the planning board meeting about her building her barn and pastures. I figured a horse barn would be a much better neighbor than some yuppie jerk from away

Benny1981

Visit site
Hello. I have a bit of a problem it may seem silly but here goes... I live in a semi rural area on a semi busy road. I've recently had a new neighbor lady move in a couple houses down. She cleared the land and built a horse barn and started with 2-3 nice big horses. I thought to myself neat! It would be cool to have some horses riding around from time to time? who doesn't like watching horses ride past? They would ride them down the side of the road a few feet onto my grass to a little trail that goes to my woodlot just passed my yard. I understand they don't want to be out in traffic so I never said anything about them riding down my lawn to get to the woods trails. So it's been a year and I think my neighbor lady started boarding horses because now there's about 10 horses and a bunch of young women riding past all the time. There's a group of them that rides almost every day and I started noticing alot of horse poop piles along my driveway and lawn where they ride. So I was home one day doing yard work and I saw the group of young ladies riding from the barn heading for the trails the horse in the front stops and takes a huge poop right on my lawn right with all the other poop they have been leaving sence these new horses and riders show up. So they had a good laugh and start riding away. So I went over and say hello,can I talk to you ladies for a min. They stop and I calmly (I do know to to shout and be a jerk around horses) calmly ask them if they wouldn't mind mabey cleaning up some of the poop. She looks at me with a smirk and says horses shit wherever they want and no way in hell will they come and clean up the horse shit!! Deal with it!! (Quite a mouth on this girl!) So I just whatever and walk away. I felt like telling her that the trail they ride on is mine and with out my trail they couldn't get to the other trails?. So now what? I don't want to tell them they can't use the trails cause trails are great and I enjoy trails with my ATV too. It would also ruin it for the rest of the horse riders there. I don't know why the horses feel the need to poop all over my yard just about every day when the trail starts 200 feet past my yard. I wish they would hold it till the trail and bombs away out there where it doesn't matter! So I'm on this horse forum asking all you horse riders what should I do now? I need some insight from a riders point of view I guess. But I don't want to put up a fence to keep them in the road! I don't want any horses getting hit out there and I don't want to close the trail. I feel like I have been more than patient and fair, and the lady that ownes the barn is very nice too nice so she doesn't seem to say anything to the borders about when I bring it up. what do you riders do if your horse poops in someone's landscaping? How would you handle this situation? Thank you for your time. Let's have a discussion about this.
Well I guess I gotta do this the hard way, it really sux to have to but after chatting with this great group of horse folks. It looks like the right to do. I'll go down and try to reach them one more time first. I must be honest I didn't know what I was gonna get for a response from you guys after dealing with my neighbor horse lady. After talking with you guys I want to keep it open even more for the good guys!! Feel free to keep sharing your thoughts and situations with me on this topic ?. I'm gonna try and post a thread on an American horse forum and see what they no have to say about it. Maybe my neighbor and company will be in the forum and read it...one could only hope.....

maggiestar

Visit site
No problem at all I feel the woods and trails are very important and more people should take the time to enjoy it! I live in Maine and Maine is a state that alot of people make there living in the woods myself included and a lot of us hunt, fish, snowmobile lots of ATVs and lots of horses around here too. We're woods people and we respect the woods. people from away are coming up and buying all the land and building subdivisions and houses everywhere. Most of the trails I used as a kid are gone now. It just sux for everyone so I fight it as much as I can. I mean I've let the riders ride right on the lawn just to be safer and further from the road. So granted the horses do kinda tear it up but it's not that bad. I don't mind that so much just the poop pyramids all the time are getting old. Maybe they think cause it's tore up now it doesn't matter? But I have brought it to there attention many times.
My sister lives in Maine so I understand where you're coming from. I remember seeing a lot of woodland closed off with big warning signs etc.
It's really important to try and keep nature open fo everyone. I agree with all the other posters and don't have any useful advice except to say thank you for being a good guardian of the land. Hope everything works out!

Lois Lame

Visit site
... they get 1500 feet from the barn and a poop switch flips on.

I think it's just how the bowel functions. Exercise helps in the evacuation of its contents.

Some horses (as has been said) like to poop in the same place if possible. Others are very untidy.

I think those nitwit riders don't know how lucky they are. Not many people with a nice lawn would tolerate horses' hooves. Not clearing up their horses' manure, especially after having been asked nicely, is unacceptable.

A part of me would like to see that ninny with the mouth get her just desserts, but I mustn't think like that :D

Benny1981

Visit site
I think it's just how the bowel functions. Exercise helps in the evacuation of its contents.

Some horses (as has been said) like to poop in the same place if possible. Others are very untidy.

I think those nitwit riders don't know how lucky they are. Not many people with a nice lawn would tolerate horses' hooves. Not clearing up their horses' manure, especially after having been asked nicely, is unacceptable.

A part of me would like to see that ninny with the mouth get her just desserts, but I mustn't think like that :D
I'd like to see the mouthy one get hers but she looks like barely 20 years

She's just a mouthy little kid barely 19 just guessing but her and her little friends do give horse riders a bad n

. Yes part o

Yes I kinda want her get hers too but I'm sure her and here little friends will grow up someday. Hopefully! They do give horse riders a bad name. It's funny/sad how oblivious they are to the situation. Id like to see them leave but I'm sure they pay good money to the barn woman and I don't want to see her loose her barn over not having that money coming in. I'm hoping if I put a temporary gate in it will straighten them out. I also like seeing the horses walk buy I don't mind the horses as neighbors if we can get thru this mess. There very nice looking horses and look well taken care of. There's this one big big guy gloss black So at least the whole place isn't a total shit show.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I was once at a yard that to access it you would have to drive through someones house to reach the road behind it which led to the yard. It was the only way on and off the stables so when hacking if my Horse pooed there I would always pick it up the same day. I think this annoyed the owners as they would want it done as soon as the poo touched the floor. But once they realised I did always go back after my ride and clean up they were ok.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OP I am guessing (from the way you word your post and some of the expressions in it that we in the UK might not use like "barn" and "trail") that you are not here in the UK, you are in the US, correct?

Basically these riders have been using YOUR land to ride across, to get to some open/safe ground to ride on; and you have been ignoring this up till now out of the goodness of your heart. They have blatantly misused that kindness and treated you like dirt!

The added problem is that by allowing continuous access across your property, you are basically giving them the right to do so, and over time this might well result in you not being able to stop them ever!

For me, this would have to stop, right now. Period. End of. You have been kind and generous and this hasn't been appreciated. All you have got back is rudeness and hassle! You don't need it!

I think you have every justification for erecting a sturdy fence which prohibits everyone from entry. You could put up an explanatory notice with words to the effect that "sorry no right of access to horse riders exists across this land and the facility is closed until further notice".

There is additionally something which concerns me: from what you say, the woods where they ride are yours as well?? Is that right? If so, then I respectfully suggest that you need to firm-up this situation; if you continue to allow people to ride over your land unchallenged you could be creating very real problems for yourself in the future. The thing that immediately comes to my mind is the insurance issue; if someone has an accident whilst riding over your land you could be held liable unfortunately. I have to have insurance (in the UK) for if someone "trespasses" on my land and injures themselves. Crazy but true, and so I really would advise you to pursue legal advice on this one. If you were a BHS Gold member I would counsel you to ring their legal dept, but if you're in the US this may not be possible.

Whatever, I really would suggest you seek legal advice on this one and see what your position is and what the ramifications could be, because frankly from what you've said, I feel there are areas of concern not just for now but for the future.

IF you are happy for horses to continue to use your land, it may be that consideration could be made to making a formal "Right of Way" (or "Bridlepath" it would be in the UK) to formalise the situation, and this may be a way forward?? That would make the arrangement official and would be much more satisfactory for everyone, including yourself.

But for now, my candid advice (to protect yourself first and foremost) would be to erect a fence saying "no entry"; and then consult legal advice as a matter of priority.

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
I don't know the ins and outs of the trespassing laws in the OP's state (and he's not said which one), but it would be unlikely that it could ever become a 'right of way.' US law doesn't recognise that. At all. The rights of landowners on private land supersede access. A landowner can allow people to cross their land, or not. The landowner can withdraw access at any time if they feel like it.

For the most part,you have to ride (or hike, or mountain bike, etc. etc.) on state or federal-owned land, as US laws do not recognise any right of access on private land. It's nothing like England, where there are rights of way which cross private property, or Scotland, where rights of access extend to all unenclosed land. In the US, individual property owners might allow access (some do... some will shoot at you), but it's up to them. Luckily there's lots of publicly owned land, otherwise no one could go anywhere.

Last edited:

Benny1981

Visit site
I was once at a yard that to access it you would have to drive through someones house to reach the road behind it which led to the yard. It was the only way on and off the stables so when hacking if my Horse pooed there I would always pick it up the same day. I think this annoyed the owners as they would want it done as soon as the poo touched the floor. But once they realised I did always go back after my ride and clean up they were ok.
I'm glad to hear that there are so many respectful horse riders like your self out there!! I was starting to wonder if the whole world went mad.......I'm going to be installing a temporary gate with a sign to try and reach them. I'm gonna go down tonight and make one last attempt to get them to pick up the poops. I'm gonna give them till Friday then gate it. I've never met a group of people so intitled in my life untill this little barn went in up the road. I thought it would be common courtesy that if you are using my lawn to be safe as you pass by that when your horse stops and leave a giant pile of poop on my grass it would be cleaned up at some point. The worst part is most of the horses there are very good sized!! To be honest i never knew a horse could leave so much poop in one pile!

Benny1981

Visit site
I don't know the ins and outs of the trespassing laws in the OP's state (and he's not said which one), but it would be unlikely that it could ever become a 'right of way.' US law doesn't recognise that. At all. The rights of landowners supersede access. A landowner can allow people to cross their land, or not. The landowner can withdraw access at any time if they feel like it.
I agree!! The private trails can close here over night and that's it it's done! Sometimes people close them
I don't know the ins and outs of the trespassing laws in the OP's state (and he's not said which one), but it would be unlikely that it could ever become a 'right of way.' US law doesn't recognise that. At all. The rights of landowners on private land supersede access. A landowner can allow people to cross their land, or not. The landowner can withdraw access at any time if they feel like it.

For the most part,you have to ride (or hike, or mountain bike, etc. etc.) on state or federal-owned land, as US laws do not recognise any right of access on private land. It's nothing like England, where there are rights of way which cross private property, or Scotland, where rights of access extend to all unenclosed land. In the US, individual property owners might allow access (some do... some will shoot at you), but it's up to them. Luckily there's lots of publicly owned land, otherwise no one could go anywhere.
I'm in Maine and legally I know that you need permission to access private land at least on an ATV, and I'm thinking it's the same for any kind of access to private land. It's a fairly new law, worst part is none of them even asked and it's been just over a year since she moved in. That part doesn't bother me at all! Go ahead enjoy the trails with the other riders that come in from other barns around. I think it's a great thing!! I don't care how much poop they poop on the trail,it's everywhere out there. From them and like I said there's lots of horses from other horse riders out there all the time. It's just a 200ish foot strech across my lawn and driveway and landscaping that I don't want 10 piles of poop a week on. It doesn't seem like too much to ask.....the whole thing frustrates the heak outta me

Benny1981

Visit site
OP I am guessing (from the way you word your post and some of the expressions in it that we in the UK might not use like "barn" and "trail") that you are not here in the UK, you are in the US, correct?

Basically these riders have been using YOUR land to ride across, to get to some open/safe ground to ride on; and you have been ignoring this up till now out of the goodness of your heart. They have blatantly misused that kindness and treated you like dirt!

The added problem is that by allowing continuous access across your property, you are basically giving them the right to do so, and over time this might well result in you not being able to stop them ever!

For me, this would have to stop, right now. Period. End of. You have been kind and generous and this hasn't been appreciated. All you have got back is rudeness and hassle! You don't need it!

I think you have every justification for erecting a sturdy fence which prohibits everyone from entry. You could put up an explanatory notice with words to the effect that "sorry no right of access to horse riders exists across this land and the facility is closed until further notice".

There is additionally something which concerns me: from what you say, the woods where they ride are yours as well?? Is that right? If so, then I respectfully suggest that you need to firm-up this situation; if you continue to allow people to ride over your land unchallenged you could be creating very real problems for yourself in the future. The thing that immediately comes to my mind is the insurance issue; if someone has an accident whilst riding over your land you could be held liable unfortunately. I have to have insurance (in the UK) for if someone "trespasses" on my land and injures themselves. Crazy but true, and so I really would advise you to pursue legal advice on this one. If you were a BHS Gold member I would counsel you to ring their legal dept, but if you're in the US this may not be possible.

Whatever, I really would suggest you seek legal advice on this one and see what your position is and what the ramifications could be, because frankly from what you've said, I feel there are areas of concern not just for now but for the future.

IF you are happy for horses to continue to use your land, it may be that consideration could be made to making a formal "Right of Way" (or "Bridlepath" it would be in the UK) to formalise the situation, and this may be a way forward?? That would make the arrangement official and would be much more satisfactory for everyone, including yourself.

But for now, my candid advice (to protect yourself first and foremost) would be to erect a fence saying "no entry"; and then consult legal advice as a matter of priority.
I'm not to worried about not being able to stop them from accessing the trail. Trails are closed and posted around here in a second and that's it. If you get caught trespassing you can be in some trouble, it's a hefty fine I've been told by the warden. I do own the trail all the way to the back of my land about 1000 feet or so and then the trails keep going for ever but it is all private land as well. No one seems to mind as long as the litter is kept under control and we don't rip up the trails especially the mud holes! The poop on the trail is not a big deal,it doesn't bother me I ride right over it with my ATV all the time. I'm gonna make a good effort to make them see how important the trails are to my neighbors barn. I'm gonna tell the barn owner tonight that if this isn't cleaned up by Friday afternoon I'm gonna gate it off......I really hate this option but it's just gotta happen ☹️

Benny1981

Visit site
Yeah, it is common courtesy. The problem is that it's not so common! I cannot believe that people behave this way. Entitled and with attitude. Even at that age I would've never spoken to an adult like that.
Me too!! It's crazy!! I'm assuming they come from money and just don't appreciate anything. The horses are huge and very nice looking, I'm sure that they are expensive horses as well.