New neighbors horses pooping everywhere

Benny1981

Visit site
I imagine that the response on the Chronicle forums will be more or less the same as here, if not more emphatic, since Americans aren't accustomed to having public rights of way on their land or 'the right to roam.'[/QUOT. Is that horse in your pic yours? If so how big is he as horses go? Do they go by how much they weigh? Thanks

MiniMilton

Visit site
Close the trail, if they query it explain why (mention the mouthy girl)

As an aside, I'd be more concerned that people using the trail without permission might give them right of way on it in the future? Would daily use not give them right to use it after a certain amount of years?

HazuraJane

Visit site
Close the trail, if they query it explain why (mention the mouthy girl)

As an aside, I'd be more concerned that people using the trail without permission might give them right of way on it in the future? Would daily use not give them right to use it after a certain amount of years?
This is a very valid concern. Setting a precedent for right-of-way could be a problem.

Firefly9410

Visit site
You asked about measurement. Horses get measured in hands. 4" is a hand. HH means hands high so 14.2hh is 14hands2inches which is a pony. Anything bigger than that is a horse. I maybe should also mention a pony is not a baby horse. The height is measured at the withers which is the bony bit in between the neck and the back so roughly the area immediately next to the front of the saddle. Horses and ponies get measured in centimetres now in the UK but I think most people ignore that unless they compete. I went through my whole school years with metric measures but horses will forever be measured hands high and jumps measured in feet and inches for me.

9tails

Visit site
I'm still chuckling at "bombs away"! I agree with the responses above. Talk to the barn owner and tell her that if your message that poo must be cleared from your lawn within 24 hours isn't passed on, you will have no option but to close access to your trail. Then follow up on it, take photos of the offending poos and send them to her. She will have to do it if she can't get her boarders in line. Maybe leave a shovel or fork so that they can be tossed into a nearby hedge if possible, but otherwise tell her that they need to be taken back to her property. Good luck, I hope they're not all complete idiots at that barn.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Aye, the horse in my profile pic is mine. She's 16.1hh, so average height. Probably weighs about 550 kilos. But if you were to buy one, weight is just about the least important thing in the world. Sometimes, even colour can add more to the price if it's a super rare one, i.e. palomino. Alongside breed, pedigree, performance, level of training, discipline (you can buy a racehorse yearling that's done nothing other than have the right parents for circa $1 million), where it is, who its connections are, and whether or not a butterfly is flapping its wings in North Dakota.

Benny1981

Visit site
Aye, the horse in my profile pic is mine. She's 16.1hh, so average height. Probably weighs about 550 kilos. But if you were to buy one, weight is just about the least important thing in the world. Sometimes, even colour can add more to the price if it's a super rare one, i.e. palomino. Alongside breed, pedigree, performance, level of training, discipline (you can buy a racehorse yearling that's done nothing other than have the right parents for circa $1 million), where it is, who its connections are, and whether or not a butterfly is flapping its wings in North Dakota.[/QUOT I was curious because your horse looks to be the same size as most of the horses that ride by. I guess an average sized horse is still pretty big!! I'm still surprised by how much poop they leave in one pile, these guys must be fed good.

Surbie

Visit site
I was curious because your horse looks to be the same size as most of the horses that ride by. I guess an average sized horse is still pretty big!! I'm still surprised by how much poop they leave in one pile, these guys must be fed good.

Just on the poo education front...mine is 15.1hh, so 10cm shorter than Caol lla's. He and his fieldmate are total poo monsters. They average 32-34 poos/day between them, which is about a barrow and a half. Every 24 hours. (they are out at grass for summer and I poo pick the field every day)

Last edited:

Benny1981

Visit site
Just on the poo education front...mine is 15.1hh, so 10cm shorter. He and his fieldmate are total poo monsters. They average 32-34 poos/day between them, which is about a barrow and a half. Every 24 hours. (they are out at grass for summer and I poo pick the field every day)
I see, it's not the size. It's just the digestion system of each horse that depends on how much they poop. Hopefully it won't matter anymore since they started picking up the poops left behind

Tarragon

Visit site
I would love to see the photos of the trail and woods that you are talking about. I am finding it hard to imagine.
I do think that you have handled this all extremely well and I hope it all works out for you!

HazuraJane

Visit site
Just on the poo education front...mine is 15.1hh, so 10cm shorter than Caol lla's. He and his fieldmate are total poo monsters. They average 32-34 poos/day between them, which is about a barrow and a half. Every 24 hours. (they are out at grass for summer and I poo pick the field every day)
I have a friend who calls herself the "PooSmith"

Benny1981

Visit site
I would love to see the photos of the trail and woods that you are talking about. I am finding it hard to imagine.
I do think that you have handled this all extremely well and I hope it all works out for you!
Pretty much looks like most trails in Maine lots of rocks and roots in most places and the woods is pretty thick with a mix of many different trees.

Pedantic

Visit site
Sounds like you are being very reasonable over your peice of land, maybe you need to send a letter so its in writing that you dont mind the horses, but they need to clean up off your property afterwards, if they dont then fence it off, as a rider I would hate that to happen, but it looks like they are rude and ignorant, if they dont show some consideration then fence it off, any resulting issues from that are their responcibilty.

Kitty B

Visit site
I was born and raised in Maine, it was a great place to have horses when I was there, and the woods where I grew up had some fantastic trails that people very kindly allowed us to use. We never would have dreamed of behaving like those girls, and we were always grateful to anyone who let us ride across their land or use their trails. I'm so glad you managed to get it sorted out, it is very kind of you to allow horse riders to use your trails and I'm glad they are respecting you, your land and your kindness now.

Benny1981

Visit site
I was born and raised in Maine, it was a great place to have horses when I was there, and the woods where I grew up had some fantastic trails that people very kindly allowed us to use. We never would have dreamed of behaving like those girls, and we were always grateful to anyone who let us ride across their land or use their trails. I'm so glad you managed to get it sorted out, it is very kind of you to allow horse riders to use your trails and I'm glad they are respecting you, your land and your kindness now.
A lot of rich people from the away have been flooding into Maine in the last 20 years. I'm suspecting that is the case with these people.

Benny1981

Visit site
I love Maine. Been there a few times and would go back! Glad things are working out well so far!
It's a great place to live for the most part the only thing is that people from away are moving here like crazy and trying to turn it into what the left to come here. Lots of people that don't think the same as the Mainers.........☹️☹️ I suspect these rude riders are the same caliber, spoiled kids with busy rich parents to busy to teach their kids manners courtesy and basic respect

Last edited:

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
What an oddly enjoyable thread! :D So nice to hear from such a kind, considerate person as you @Benny1981 and thanks for helping horses and riders stay safe and enjoying the trails when you are not obliged to do so. It sounds like you have handled the situation really well and I hope that these riders now continue to respect your property and keep it clear. I would be delighted to ride by your house!

Beachbabe

Visit site
Horses are creatures of habit and tend to poo where they always poo. So if horses get used to pooing in your lawn then they will continue to do so. Riders have very little control over that. If riders will not remove afterwards and you have raised the situation before then all you can do is fence it off.
Horses can also learn where not to poop. I used to have an awkward neighbour who insisted on the poop being picked up immediately, so if mine went, I had to return to the yard, get pooper scooper, back to poo, back to yard and then back on to restart ride. Mine quickly learnt that he had to hang on until he was on the bridleway!

Benny1981

Visit site
Well guys I thought I would give a little up date on the poop problem. It's been a month now and the riders are doing ok at the poop removing. Some riders will notice their horse pooped when they ride back thru and clean it up right away that day and others will wait for a few days but they're trying it seems. There's a few (poop monsters) as someone called them, I still can't believe how much 1 horse can poop at a time, it's all most a wheel barrow full?. Lucky those riders are prompt about the clean up. The barn owner even replaced a few plants that got trampled when they had a big horse gathering last weekend. There was 15 horse trailers parked at the barn and the road side. Horses and riders every where it was nuts...they cleaned up after that pretty good and planted the new bushes within a couple days so I'm happy so far. What an agressive group of riders tho, 4-5 horses a day and even more on the weekend. Probably trying to get all the nice days of riding in possible. Fall is happening already and the days are getting shorter?. How often do you guy's ride your horses? Everyday? Thanks for reading!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am glad that day to day the situation has improved.

But...

They held an organised event over your land without asking??? :oops:

:oops:o_O:oops:

That is not OK!

If I were the barn owner, I would have called to ask, with a bottle or two. If you had said no , that would have been OK, I would still have been grateful to be allowed to use the land for myself and regular borders.

I too would be looking at what the rules are in your area for rights of way coming into force if people pass and repass as a regular thing with permission. In our country, it can become their right of way. By their past behaviour, the barn will get bigger, the poop picking will stop and there will be more horse gatherings and no replacement paths.

Yes, I ride pretty much every day. I am very grateful for any landowner who allows me on the land and would never invite others to join me without approaching the land owner.

I can only hope you get a good present at Xmas!