New neighbors horses pooping everywhere

9tails

Visit site
Horses do on average 12 poos a day, some do more depending on how much forage they have access to. They're pretty much walking poo machines. The good thing about their poo is that it's not toxic like dog poo and smells much better, but that may just be a horse person thing.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Some people do ride every day, or 6 days out of 7, or maybe their have more than one horse. Most people don't ride every day unless they are keen competition types. The leisure rider generally rides 3-4 times a week.

Benny1981

Visit site
I thought I give an update on my situation with the horse barn nextdoor......it been a few months now. The barn has been growing and so has the amount of horses. Ive only had one younger woman give me a problem in the 6-7 months that passed. I was out in the yard a couple Saturdays ago and her and another rider were passing through and her horse stopped right directly in the middle of my driveway and left a really really large pile... like the biggest one I've ever seen!! Then proceeded to pee like crazy onto the hot top!! I was like could u clean that poo up today being it's huge and right directly in my driveway? She said yea probably and rode off with her friend.... never came back after the ride to scoop the poop. I know she couldn't do anything about the pee but man at least clean the mountain of poo directly in my driveway.... But other than a couple incedents like this all has been great for both the horse riders and I the past 6 months! I cleaned it up the next day just cause of where it was but I still can't believe how much a horse can poop in one place ??!! Much happier with my horsey neighbors now they're trying!!!

Baywonder

Visit site
Thank you for the update @Benny1981 - it is great to hear the situation has been resolved.

As for the rogue woman, if it happens again, and she does not remove the poo when asked, I would shovel it up, take it round to the yard owner, and tell them exactly what keeps happening. There is always has to be one who spoils it I suppose!

And yes, horses do poop quite a lot, don't they......:oops:

Winters100

Visit site
Hi Benny, great to hear that things are generally better, you sound like a very kind and tolerant neighbor.

Regarding the odd one or two who need an attitude adjustment I would be inclined to take a hard line, because there are unfortunately some people who are inclined to think that rules do not apply to them. Maybe just take a photo to identify them and send it to the barn owner. Tell her that they are banned from your land for 2 weeks, and if she does not make sure they comply then you will put up a barrier and close the access completely for 2 weeks. Remember that you are helping the barn owner's business enormously by allowing her to offer stables with access to the trails, so the least she can do is to make sure that all horse owners comply with the rules in a polite manner.

Good luck and I hope that you continue to have a good relationship with these people.

Tarragon

Visit site
Lovely to get an update, and to hear that it is largely resolved.
I am with the others on standing firm and reporting that stupid lady, it was incredibly rude of her to say that she would return to remove knowing full well that she wouldn't. I already don't like her very much ;-)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Hi Benny, great to hear that things are generally better, you sound like a very kind and tolerant neighbor.

Regarding the odd one or two who need an attitude adjustment I would be inclined to take a hard line, because there are unfortunately some people who are inclined to think that rules do not apply to them. Maybe just take a photo to identify them and send it to the barn owner. Tell her that they are banned from your land for 2 weeks, and if she does not make sure they comply then you will put up a barrier and close the access completely for 2 weeks. Remember that you are helping the barn owner's business enormously by allowing her to offer stables with access to the trails, so the least she can do is to make sure that all horse owners comply with the rules in a polite manner.

Good luck and I hope that you continue to have a good relationship with these people.

There are many people in the world who only attach any value to something if there is money involved. My way of taking a hard line would be to charge the barn owner for access to the trails, while making it clear that the charge does not cover clearing horse droppings from your drive, and that access will be suspended whenever riders behave unreasonably.

I would be very wary of allowing free-of-charge access for long periods of time (such as 365 days of the year for more than one year). I don't know how the law works in your neck of the woods, but if a tradition of access becomes established you might find it hard to revoke access in the future, and if you eventually decide to sell up and move, potential buyers might be put off by established access rights.

Surbie

Visit site
Hi Benny,
Really nice to hear that most people are acting like they should.

Regarding the one who hasn't, I'd do exactly as Winters100 suggested and ban that rider for a bit via the barn owner. You are doing them a very great favour in being able to access the trail rides through your land. That should be respected.

Keith makes a good point about access - if it is possible you'd be establishing a right of access I'd consider closing it for short periods every now and then. You can always give the barn owner advance notice of that.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Good to hear of the progress. I would scoop it up, pop round and ask what car the girl owned and then leave it on the bonnet .... Dont do this, i am more on the petty side so cannot be trusted for solid advise, lol!

Backtoblack

Visit site
you have 2 choices. 1. grow roses and enjoy getting the free muck, or 2. fence the yard/lawn so the riders cant access it. sorted.