NEW NEWS: horses can recognise their owners!

Elsbells

Visit site
Haha! This did make me laugh. We all know they hear us be it your car, your footfall or a whisper. Many a time I've tried to sneak onto the yard and do a few jobs without being seen, but no, there's always a whinny and a face from the gate saying hi mum!

Elsbells

Visit site
And..........how come they know their owner is on their way a good 5 mins before their car pulls in the yard? This applies to dogs too. Perhaps they ought to research that.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Ooh yes, that reminds me of our old cat. Mum would be late home one day a week as she would go and do a supermarket shop. We had an old morris minor and anyone who has ever driven a morris will tell you about the lovely friendly hoot they make when you change gear! The cat used to jump up into the front window and we would always say, mum must be nearly home. About 1 minutes later the car would pull up outside. How on earth did he know? He was never wrong.

linperrie

Visit site
Of course they know us and know others too. My mare gets clingy at shows and will whinny at me and oh when we come into view near her. One time I brought her out of the trailer and OH tied her up and went off to get coffee. Next min she started whinnying at some random bloke with red top, jeans and wellies on. I was just wondering why when OH comes back round the corner wearing.....red top, jeans and wellies!! I couldn't have remembered what he was wearing if asked but she obviously could!!!!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
MY late mare knew my special sound to call her, her head lifted and she would come down the field.
One of my liveries who's stable faced the gate and those side on to the yard gate always know their owners car and call or whinny.
Its how they do it in the wild like Zebras have to identify mum from birth.

We don't give these animals enough credit IMO

Also I have done this many times, walked up the field not saying a word walking past the horses and mine look up and watch me as if to make sure who it is, then they either ignore my and back to grazing or they have been known to come over to me.

MY little pony always knows my car coming down the drive.

Last edited:

lizbet

Visit site
I know what you mean arrr. I have a wicked cough and wicked laugh.He knows my both whinnys.my car to.Been told he knows when on my way knows me by sight my whistle my voice.such a bond.so special.You must miss it.They say horses are incapable of love.I dont agree not when treated right .

fburton

Visit site
I would say that horses are incapable of human love in all its depth and complexity, but I also think they can behave towards people in ways that are undeniably affectionate. I personally wouldn't like to get the two mixed up.

lizbet

Visit site
Well for sake then lets call it affection.May be they are not for real.But what i do know is many people have told me without being prompted who are of your belief as much as a horse is capable that horse loves you and it would be cruel to part with him this is vets farriers and instructours to.I am not nieve.But he has got me and himself out of many a scrap through my voice etc.maybe a trust thing.when you have a true bond with a horse it is incrediable.maybe you have yet to experiance it.As i say i am not nieve there just does not seem any way to discribe it.affection does not come close.