New noseband - drop or something else?

Cob Life

Visit site
I think I’m going to try a drop, if I get one second hand it’s not going to be too expensive if it doesn’t work
I got one for £2 (!) from the local second hand tack shop (aka my happy place) it the wrong colour but already has extra holes added so is very adjustable and if it works for us I can get a better one

teddy_

Visit site
He doesn just plough through, I can lighten the forehand with lots of transitions, leg yields, shoulder in, but when his head goes down, his neck sets and he’s gone, sometimes he just trots but mostly it’s canter with zero steering, and I have absolutely no hope of stopping until he feels like it, considerping I ride on my own 95% of the time it can be quite dangerous.

It’s not “just because“ either. It’s usually if I’m asking something new, and he goes “I don’t know what you’re asking so I’m just doing to do what I think you might be asking for and run really fast” (He was a teenagers horse before and he was just taught to run until he didn’t feel like it anymore, then turn, and run the other way)

I started in a Pelham, which was too much bit, went to a Waterford, still too much bit, he likes quite a soft bit for schooling but there are those split moments that I need a little more, which was where the suggestion of the double came in as I don’t have to use the curb rein but it can be used in an emergency should I really not be able to stop.
I agree with AdorableAlice on this one.

A double bridle should never be used to 'correct' any training issues. If you can't school a horse in a snaffle, forget about the double.

I think your initial suggestion of trying different nosebands is the best idea, now that we all know how much a badly fitting noseband can impinge a horse.

Cob Life

Visit site
A drop made him lean on my hands a lot more and made the jaw crossing (which isn’t usually too bad) worse, I’ll try it again monday and then it’s back to the drawing board

Regandal

Visit site
I think you need to teach him two things for your safety. The signal to slow down, and the signal to stop. I’d do that from the ground first. If you teach him the voice commands and get a reliable response, you can then transfer it to ridden.
You should be able to find stuff online, the Ride with your Mind groundwork stuff is good.

Cob Life

Visit site
I think you need to teach him two things for your safety. The signal to slow down, and the signal to stop. I’d do that from the ground first. If you teach him the voice commands and get a reliable response, you can then transfer it to ridden.
You should be able to find stuff online, the Ride with your Mind groundwork stuff is good.
He does slow down and stop, he’s not completely wild ?

In the last 12 months he’s taken off with me once, and even then after one side of the field he came back to me. I think he’s allowed to have a bad day. 3 years ago he used to do it most rides.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
He doesn just plough through, I can lighten the forehand with lots of transitions, leg yields, shoulder in, but when his head goes down, his neck sets and he’s gone, sometimes he just trots but mostly it’s canter with zero steering, and I have absolutely no hope of stopping until he feels like it, considerping I ride on my own 95% of the time it can be quite dangerous.

It’s not “just because“ either. It’s usually if I’m asking something new, and he goes “I don’t know what you’re asking so I’m just doing to do what I think you might be asking for and run really fast” (He was a teenagers horse before and he was just taught to run until he didn’t feel like it anymore, then turn, and run the other way)

I started in a Pelham, which was too much bit, went to a Waterford, still too much bit, he likes quite a soft bit for schooling but there are those split moments that I need a little more, which was where the suggestion of the double came in as I don’t have to use the curb rein but it can be used in an emergency should I really not be able to stop.

I'm sorry OP but this is a training issue, it won't be fixed by changing his bit or getting a different noseband.

Cob Life

Visit site
I'm sorry OP but this is a training issue, it won't be fixed by changing his bit or getting a different noseband.
I’m assuming you’ve missed my post where I stated he’s done this ONCE in 12 months and that he’s allowed to have one off day.

3 years ago when I first started riding him he was in a Pelham on the bottom rings and a standing martingale. Now I only ever ride in a snaffle, even jumping where he can get a little wound up, and the biggest issue is jaw crossing.

Personally me, and my instructor, think he has progressed very well with his training and considering I need to buy a new noseband anyway thought it may be worth trying a few different options as it’s very hard to find a cavesson that fits him.