New owner after 20yrs..what’s the protocol re vetting

NaughtyNative

Visit site
Im in the process of taking a 4yr old on a trial ,after not purchasing a horse for over 20 yrs im not in the loop re vetting, I still own and ride a pony,should I have it vetted as soon as it arrives or just before the trial is up, the pony was unable to be vetted at owners due to genuine circumstances but was tried.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We used to have a month's trial and started the vetting at the start, so basic look over, trot up, heart, eyes, but then finished it at the end, so working them, re-testing etc, so any drugs would have worn off and we knew that the horse had stood up to the work we wanted.

I believe it was only a shade more expensive than a single vetting. The vet actually started the sheet on the first one, finished it (and dated it) on the second.

Squeak

Visit site
I think I'd vet at the beginning so that you know what you're starting with. If it fails before you hand it back it could get complicated as to whether it was something that happened in your care or not and also you've spent however long trialling a pony that was never suitable.

NaughtyNative

Visit site
Unfortunately the pony can’t be vetted at owners , they are not physically able to do this or able to have help .. Thanks for all the reply’s , possibly vet soon as I can after arrival .

Smogul

Visit site
Im in the process of taking a 4yr old on a trial ,after not purchasing a horse for over 20 yrs im not in the loop re vetting, I still own and ride a pony,should I have it vetted as soon as it arrives or just before the trial is up, the pony was unable to be vetted at owners due to genuine circumstances but was tried.

I would be very very wary. I don't know of any horse owner who doesn't have someone somewhere that can come and help with a vetting. Some vets practices can even call in assistance if asked.