New pony has turned to psycho beast! (Sorry, very long one)

Ginn

Visit site
A while back I posted that we now have a little chestnut mare on permenant loan (well my YO does and has told us that she is as much ours as hers as she doesn't ride).

Now psycho beast background is interesting - she was very much a pet to the age of 8 (last year) when she was sent away to be broken. Owner then had her back for a few months and turned her away for the winter. In about April she was brought back into work and put out on loan late may to a 12 year old who found her nappiness too much so left her in a field for the final 11 weeks of the 12 they had her for. Owner took her back and got on her twice the week we went to try her (mid sept). She was clearly very green but also seemed genuine and a nice sort to have and my YO decided that she'd really like her so now has her on permenant loan (so its not like we can send her back as she's not ours to send back!).

Her manners have been appauling and make Tilly look like the best mannered show pony in the country. She is rude, bulshy, won't tie up without swingging, pawing, stamping and squealing. To ride she has really good moments but also some awful ones. All we have asked of her is to behave for short periods in the school and have been trying to teach her to work off the leg (as she thinks that leg = speed!) However, she will not lunge and when you finally get her out she gets faster and won't stop! and this seems to wind her up so we have been getting straight on her which is better than faffing first.

BUT she will not walk the 100m to the school without either spinning, napping and putting in very small rears unless someone leads her from the ground. Once in the school she can be perfect on minute and in the last 2 weeks has become increasingly nappy to the point of going up - not a lot, only about 1ft off the ground in front and its usually in an attempt to spin. We were warned of her nappiness before she arrived and when we tried her she did is a little but nothing like this. I choose to get on her back and that is my choice, my decision and if I damage myself then it is my fault so please no comments on shooting her/sending her back etc. Kiri atm is not allowed to ride or handle her! If we catch the rearing/napping in time and are quick to send her on then she doesn't do it, however we have had some interesting canter transitions from walk!

This in itself I can just about manage - my instructor is comming up and is going to try and work her through it together. Plan B is to turn her away for the winter and re-start her from the beginning after xmas, with just some inhand work similar to what I do with Tilly in the mean time.

I will also say at this point that she HAS HAD EVERYTHING CHECKED - TACK, BACK, TEETH, MY POSITION ON HER BACK. She is ridden in a french link toose ring with a caverson noseband.

The bigger problem I have however is her increasing lack of respect for people and my horse! Last night was the final straw when she was very agressive toward Tilly by chasing her round the field with her ears flat back and teeth out for 20 mins and whenever tilly tried to stop she double barrelled her. When it seemed that she had finally stopped I went over to check Tilly who was very sore and in a state only for her to double barrel me 3 times in sucession only to miss by a few cm and only to be stopped when Tilly stood between the two of us and provided a way for me to get out the field. Yes I was waering a hat. I have never seen a horse this agressive before and in the month we have had her we have not seen this side to her character. I'll also add that it was tea time and due to work they got fed 45mins later than the rest of the week.

This morning I go up to find my horse waiting for me with a nasty kick just below her R hock on the inside with a little heat and swelling surrounding it and as I brough her in (Whilest shooing the evil one away with a lunge whip - the only way I could get her away from my horse!) I noticed that she is sore and stiff all round and she was clearly happy to be tucked up in bed for the day. She has about 8 other kicks and lots of little swollen bruises on her. YO came up as I was sorting her out and I explained what had happened last night and showed her Tilly's injuries. She thinks that chels (aka evil psycho one) is feeling insecure and is being over confident and over dominent as a result of this. She was better this morning as was getting herself in a state through being left on her own but thats tough! YO and I have agreed to keep Tilly in for the next day or so and possibly put them in separate paddocks for a few days. However, she did remind me that Tilly was a handfull when she first arrived and the first few months were not easy with her either. Very kindly she also said how having seen the progress T has made with pateince and firm handling that she wants to give chels a chance (fair enough). But does anyone have any thoughts on this? I really am at my wits end with this and am fast loosing patience!

Well done if you made it too the end, cyber choccies are on their way!

loopeepee

Visit site
Is there no way of getting Tilly out of the same field as evil, psycho beast? Poor Tils!
As for the beast itself? Blimy, what Im thinking people wont like and will shoot me down.

samp

Visit site
Wow, sounds like you do have a very insecure mare. Sounds like she needs a lot of time, one to one, learnt respect for horses and humans. At end of day horses are unpredictable and you have to make it a pleasure. When she is good really praise her even if she doesn't do it properly. Mares need lots and lots of praise. If she stops ask her quietly to walk on, if still resist click and tap. If she moves forward even if she canters this is good - she islistening and do not pull her up staright away

Ginn

Visit site
Well thats what Im going to do for the next few days. They have been fine togther for the last month and EPB was going mental this am when I took Tilly away and usually has to come in if I take Tilly out for a walk as she goes nuts and tears up the field. But if it means my horse gets hurt being with her then they'll have to be separated.
frown.gif

What gets me is how she's changed so much over the last month - her manners have always been terrible and have shown signs of improving 9if you're with her on the yard she's much quieter and sjhe now knows if she's being told off! But she has no respcet for other peoples space and its becoming dangerous! She has to be handled in a pressure halter as its the only way of making her back off if she gets too close. If she was mine to send back she'd be gone before the week is out as there are plenty of horses without problems and after 8 years of dealing with very difficult horses Tilly has been a pleasure and now this - but then as mum says if Igive up on her then so might the next person and with some of my past loons I am 99% sure that she will get better. I'm just totally fed up and running out of ideas!!
frown.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
Have you thought of checking hormonal problems? Before your YO got her - how was she kept - was it in company or on her own?

I know that when we got our TB back after selling her 6 years previously, she'd been kept on her own and her hormones went into overdrive when she got turned out in a mixed herd and she got VERY aggressive and dominant and was a bit of a nightmare. She'd rear up full height in the field, strike out, scream at the other horses and was a total bully though she relied on noise and scare tactics and never actually touched the others, but she looked bl**dy terrifying!

Plus as it was bang in the middle of F&M we couldn't really justify a vet visit - but they were fab over the phone and when we mentioned the aggression plus constant flirting/season - they said either ovarian cyst or hormone imbalance and a course of regumate put her right.

Might be worth investigating? Can make them VERY stroppy!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Sounds like you have one hell of a dominant mare pony (it is a pony isn't it?) who's knows all the tricks in the trade. Don't forget ponies react & think much more quickly then horses and can try one's patience to desparation.
The only way to get her to respect you is to be more dominant mentally then her.
Good luck !!

riotgirl

Visit site
Sounds familiar! I got my mare last year, and was 9 and unbroken. No manners to speak of, napped all the time, bit everyone in sight and bullied my old girl.

A part of it was to do with her new surroundings - to spend 9 years in the field in which your were born and then to be moved is pretty scary and to be honest, I underestimated what an upheaval it must have been for her.

With my girl it was a matter of teaching her that she wasn't the boss anymore and she couldn't get her own way all of the time. This just meant endless repeating of things until she accepted them and didn't try to fight.

The turning point was when we started hacking out. Becasue everything was so alien to her, she had no choice but to rely on me to encourage her and this made her alot more accepting.

We certainly aren't there yet, and she does play up still with people who are not firm with her, but it does get better. Honest!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Gosh poor little mare - she has been through the mill somewhat hasn't she? Personally I think turning her away would be the worst thing you can do. Remember - she has been very inconsistently handled by the sounds of it, and doesn't know whether she's comming or going. Turning her away again will just re-inforce that miss-management.

I would have thought that your best bet would be to treat her like any newly broken in horse and ensure that she has consitent handling by the same person(s). She is clearly rebelling against things that haven't been clearly explained to her - and who can blame her.

Poor pony. Hope you give her a chance and manage to gain her trust.

Jemayni

Visit site
Wow, sounds like an interesting little pony anyway, and I hope I don't suggest anything that offends you or you have already tried, because tbh I am jus trying to be helpful, but I do not have much iexperience with horses this "naughty."

First thing I was wondering is how big is she, I know size is not really that important but I think it makes a difference.

My answer to the tying her up thing, is try not to, whenever I tie my horse up he kicks the stone wall (which I am sure is not good for him!) so I don't. If I have to, I either give him hay or one of those molasses licks, which soon shuts him up. In my horses case it is just attention seeking, so there isn't much else you can do to combat it.

I wouldn't turn her away she's nine and it is all she has ever done.

You say she won't lunge will she free school, I find this is good for getting control because you can send her forward and if she wants to run round for 3 hours before she behaves she can and you aren't quite so likely to get hurt, however i appreciate this is very difficult if you only have an outdoor school with a low fence... If you can I'd do this for a few weeks before you get on her again and she might learn your voice, and then you might be able to lunge her... maybe....

About the aggresive thing. You don't say how many horses there are in the field is it just her and Tilly? If so maybe add another few, or add a gelding, or do the opposite and leave it out alone... she might get used to it. or divide your paddock up with electric fence. (I don't usually like this but if you have no option....)

Good luck, and if I've just waffled on about load of rubbish please ignore me...

Kelly1982

Visit site
Agree with Amymay, i would not turn her away, she has been turned away on more than one occassion and it hasn't helped.

She is a baby still in her mind and this is all new to her. She has had a long time getting her own way so of course will try to rebel as she doesn't understand.

I think a lot of time and patience will make her come right but also be firm when you are handling her so she knows she cant just push you about.

I actually feel quite sorry for her as its sounds like she has been pushed from pillar to post since being broken and that cant be a very nice experience for her.

Plus she is new and probably testing her boundaries, if she has got away with it twice before then she is obvioulsy going to try again.

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple">Chestnut mares eh!!!
Mares can be very difficult to say the least but throw in chestnut and an un ideal start in life then it's going to be even harder.
When I was unable to tie up my mare (also chestnut!) without her rearing and kicking the wall. I just tied her up for short amounts at a time, if she behaved I'd untie her. Then leave it a little longer each long time and then move away from her, then go out of site and come back. Now she'll stand there tied up by herself quite peacefully without hay. It was a very slow process. It's important to ignore the bad behaviour and praise the good.
I feel really sorry for this pony, it seems as though she has been passed around and not given a set routine at the most important stage of her education so is unwilling to trust and agree to work for a person. Mares have to 'agree' to do things when asked.

When she naps I'd turn her back the way she is going and keep asking her to go forward, do not give up until she goes forwards, even if it's a couple of steps, lots of praise and expect a little more each time. If she goes into canter push her on. It is easier for them to play up if they are walking the more they are thinking forwards the less likely they are to think of napping.
In the begining with my girlie I'd litterally just hang on using my legs and voice to ask her to go forward and in the end she'd calm down and finally move forwards after bucking and rearing etc, then gradually I was able to trot her as soon as I got on with no hissy fits, after trotting I'd bring her back to a walk for a few good paces and then forwards again.
Now I can get on and do my girth up etc and walk, trot and canter with no bucking or rearing and we've even started working on the bit and hacking out.
It's all about who's going to give in first. Once you get her moving forwards and she's enjoying the work and has a set routine then the bond should follow.....

I just rambled so probably doesn't make much sense. It's not going to happen overnight either.

As for behaviour in the field, I agree that it could be hormonal... </span>

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mares can be very difficult to say the least but throw in chestnut and an un ideal start in life then it's going to be even harder.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gosh some of you people talk rubbish. Re-read the post again, and have a little think about what your reply should really have been........

elaineh

Visit site
I'd recommend getting an RA (kellymarks.co.uk) out to help you. They have a lot of experience with behavioural problems, and you should have one or two locally. Good luck.

A good horse is never a bad colour
smile.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Insecure my a55.
Horses that have been kept as pets are generally always like this. You need to be very tough with them, almost to the point of them being scared of you. That is the only way they will learn respect.
I would suggest handling her with a chifney and plenty of long reining. You say she wont lunge, what do you mean? If you put 2 reins on them they dont really have a choice. I wouldnt consider riding her until she has learnt to keep all 4 feet on the ground. It is likely that only bringing her over backwards will make her cop onto this.
As for the tunrout issues, would you like to borrow a mare that is guaranteed to kick the crap out of her?

Soph83

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Gosh some of you people talk rubbish. Re-read the post again, and have a little think about what your reply should really have been........

[/ QUOTE ]

Jees can we not even have a light hearted joke in these threads!

siennamum

Visit site
I have to say I agree. I've had a few like this, invariably they are home bred and kept as pets. Usually as soon as you are really tough with them they completely cave in. Generally because they have been allowed to do pretty much as they please all their lives.
So hard as it seems, she sounds like she needs a hard lesson in life whilst there's still time.
I would not entertain turning my precious youngster out with a pony which is going to beat it up. Far too risky.

LadyB

Visit site
Def do join up with her. Then at least she will trust you and be more willing to do what you ask, also she will respect you its done properly. Maybe go and watch Monty Roberts at a demonstration (he travels round the UK so should be one near you). Might even be a idea taking your mare to him?? I def think this would be a good start and then you can work on other problems slowly. Let us know how you get on

x

elaineh

Visit site
Quote: need to be very tough with them, almost to the point of them being scared of you.

You don't actually. This horse just has never had a good teacher. Please do get help from an RA and you'll be able to retrain this horse without any force or aggression.

We all deserve a second chance, and to be treated with respect. Students learn much faster and better with a teacher who is kind &amp; enthuastic &amp; firm, rather than tough and frightening. Please do consider an RA who will be able to help you. You don't want a horse who is scared of you, as that will lead directly to accidents.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

As for the tunrout issues, would you like to borrow a mare that is guaranteed to kick the crap out of her?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we be next on the waiting list to borrow????

Though as we speak, Evil-Ivy has a cut on her shoulder looking suspiciously like a kick from a shoe mark... and only my placid bottom of the heap ginger mare is shod! Bless, she's started getting in between me and Ivy if we have "words" now to stop the evil one booting me...!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Jees can we not even have a light hearted joke in these threads!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes of course - and if that was your intention apologies.

However, you go on to say it's all about giving in:

[ QUOTE ]
It's all about who's going to give in first

[/ QUOTE ]
And I think that you've missed the essential thread of the initial post (or maybe I have - who knows??)

This is a newly broken, unsettled and poorly managed mare. It's about education and re-training - not who gives in first. IMO

Soph83

Visit site
Well by 'giving in first' my meaning of that was through my experience when re schooling my mare when she was nappy- backing up rearing and spinning I would have to ignore the this behaviour and just keep asking her to go forwards, in the end she would go forwards and she would get a lot of praise for this.
Horses are herd animals and need guidance and leadership, they need to know when they are doing something right.
I also think this mare needs a good solid routine and to build up a trusting bond with one person who is not going to give up on her.

That is just my experience, obviously people do things differently.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

You don't actually. This horse just has never had a good teacher. Please do get help from an RA and you'll be able to retrain this horse without any force or aggression.

We all deserve a second chance, and to be treated with respect. Students learn much faster and better with a teacher who is kind &amp; enthuastic &amp; firm, rather than tough and frightening. Please do consider an RA who will be able to help you. You don't want a horse who is scared of you, as that will lead directly to accidents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about force and aggression, and tough and frightening?A horse needs a bit of fear to have respect, it is no bad thing. This mare has neither, and is dangerous for all concerned.

Nic

Visit site
IMO Ginn would only be putting herself in danger if she tries that, given what it did in the field. Not really one for join up me but Richard Maxwell has a fair few points when I went to see him, no bandages or carot sticks in sight, just some sorely needed common sense!

I'm with Vici on this one if it won't lunge long rein it, and don't be anywhere with it loose.
crazy.gif

Soph83

Visit site
When you say on the lunge she ust gets faster and faster is it so fast she is a danger to herself or can she just be left to go round until she's worn herself out and then maybe start to listen?

tabithakat64

Visit site
keep trying with the tying up and lunging, be firm and consistant with all your handling of her, try different activities rather than just using the school the whole time, have regular lessons and talk to your vet about possible hormone problems, look at what you are feeding her and seperate her from your horse in an electric fenced area so they can see each other but she can't beat up poor Tilly.

Skhosu

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TBh... in this scenario with a horse who sounds(maybe out that in italics, I don't know how!) as though she is being aggressive I would probably not risk turning it loose. I doubt anyone here is talking about beating it up, but a sharp smack if she does something bad/ dangerous may just teach her a well needed lesson for the safety of ALL concerned.
Not sure exactly what goign to see Monty Roberts will do? Unless he has an identical horse....

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

First thing I was wondering is how big is she, I know size is not really that important but I think it makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

14.1hh welsh B x arab and very overweight!

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't turn her away she's nine and it is all she has ever done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point but maybe go back a few steps?

[ QUOTE ]
You say she won't lunge will she free school, I find this is good for getting control because you can send her forward and if she wants to run round for 3 hours before she behaves she can and you aren't quite so likely to get hurt, If you can I'd do this for a few weeks before you get on her again and she might learn your voice, and then you might be able to lunge her... maybe.... [ QUOTE ]

Hadn't actually thought of that but it may well be worth a try!

[ QUOTE ]
About the aggresive thing. You don't say how many horses there are in the field is it just her and Tilly? If so maybe add another few, or add a gelding, or do the opposite and leave it out alone... she might get used to it. or divide your paddock up with electric fence. (I don't usually like this but if you have no option....)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, itys just the 2 of them and YO doesnt want anymore. My YO lost her 2 geldings in July who Tilly had lived very happiliy with for 9 months.

Thankyou for the advice

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Agree with Amymay, i would not turn her away, she has been turned away on more than one occassion and it hasn't helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very valid point but would going back to the groundwork and basics help?

[ QUOTE ]
She is a baby still in her mind and this is all new to her. She has had a long time getting her own way so of course will try to rebel as she doesn't understand.

I think a lot of time and patience will make her come right but also be firm when you are handling her so she knows she cant just push you about.

I actually feel quite sorry for her as its sounds like she has been pushed from pillar to post since being broken and that cant be a very nice experience for her.

Plus she is new and probably testing her boundaries, if she has got away with it twice before then she is obvioulsy going to try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought exactly which is why I feel so guilty posting this but she really is trying my patience. Its good to know that someone else agrees though and Im not being too empathetic.

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horses that have been kept as pets are generally always like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
It amazes me how many perfectly nice horses are ruined by people treating them as pets - yes spend lots of time doing nice things like grooming and the odd treat every now and them doesn't hurt but this is not the first one like this Ive come across - people seem to forget that 1/2 a tonne of meat picking a fight with you is not a pleasent situation to be in!

[ QUOTE ]
You say she wont lunge, what do you mean? If you put 2 reins on them they dont really have a choice

[/ QUOTE ]

She will go out on the end of a lungeline (or 2 - tried that!) but charges around to the point of falling over and even with 1m of line will not stop - my guess is her "breaking" consisted of being chased around with a whip until she was knackered. And having now been the target of double barreling by a pont that will not go forward but rears, spins and runs backwards very well I haven't attempted longreining yet
crazy.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
I agree with those who have suggested going back to the beginning and treating her as just broken- in fact I'd go even further back than that as she doesn't appear to have the manners of a 2yo poor lass.

I also agree with vicijp re the tough love. My current horse was a 'pet', allowed to do whatever he pleased on the ground and ridden. He had a nervous owner who asked nothing of him and let him run rings round her. Now I'm asking him to do as he's told and work he's occassionally telling me where to stuff it- developed quite the attitude problem in a number of circumstances. The way I see it is he needs to know where he stands- I need to give him clear messages, no half baked suggestions. NO means NO and when he does as he is told he is rewarded. We still have ridden problems but he is much better on the ground- occasionally tests me still, and gets the same clear message back from me.

Sounds like a huge huge project, really hope you can help her- good luck x