New pony is here and I feel like a novice!

Laura2408

Visit site
I'm really not!

She's really sweet, stands much better than any horse I've ever had but she is so strong and I can't lead her without her taking off spinning and bucking.
She's quite strong willed and lacks manners.
Her default is spin and run so far.

She's also wild on the lunge. Glad I'm not on her back.

Saying that she's such a sweetheart and hasn't a nasty bone in her body.

It's been two days I need a slap for worrying don't I :)

Finlib

Visit site
strong willed bucking and spinning is not that 'sweet' neither is being wild on a lunge.I would be getting on top of this behaviour and quickly .
Lead in a bridle and get some professional help if it continues.This needs nipping in the bud.
Good luck with your new pony.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Sounds like a handful like my mare. Two months with mine being led in a bridle and then a monty Roberts type headcollar has changed her ways, patience is key and I'm lucky to have the support of a stronger friend who has helped me no end. Good luck with her!
Also pics needed! :)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My new pony arrived Monday and I put him in a Dually halter straight away because I don't know him well enough and didn't want him to think he could take liberties. He did test me on day two but with some firm handling he now listens properly and I can now lead him out in a muzzle without a headcollar in sight.

Start as you mean to go on and I hope you get some help with your mare.

Laura2408

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

She hasn't been all bad. She's been settled in the stable, standing happily to be groomed etc but as soon as she's out the barn she gets far too excited and tries to tank off.

I'm planning on leading her in a bridle from now on. I always have a hat but need gloves!

She wasn't like this before buying. She was very easy to lead in a normal headcollar. I also rode her and she was lovely, green and a bit slow but not silly in any way.

I hope after a few days good turnout she will settle!

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

She hasn't been all bad. She's been settled in the stable, standing happily to be groomed etc but as soon as she's out the barn she gets far too excited and tries to tank off.

I'm planning on leading her in a bridle from now on. I always have a hat but need gloves!

She wasn't like this before buying. She was very easy to lead in a normal headcollar. I also rode her and she was lovely, green and a bit slow but not silly in any way.

I hope after a few days good turnout she will settle!
Turnout will help, she's probably very excited to be in a new environment with new sounds and new horses nearby. Once she goes out and blows off some steam she'll improve. Is she young/green?

Laura2408

Visit site
She's very babyish Maria. 5 years old and only ever hacked. I really loved her personality though!
She's not used to being on a livery yard, she travelled a fairly long way and then has been stuck in for 24 hours due to yard quarantine so she's full of energy and silliness. She goes out tomorrow though thankfully so hopefully can get some silly out and start to concentrate!

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
She's very babyish Maria. 5 years old and only ever hacked. I really loved her personality though!
She's not used to being on a livery yard, she travelled a fairly long way and then has been stuck in for 24 hours due to yard quarantine so she's full of energy and silliness. She goes out tomorrow though thankfully so hopefully can get some silly out and start to concentrate!

Sounds just like my four year old project mare. She was very roughly backed and hacked a little and then just left. Luckily she went out with the rest of the herd and they are out 24/7. A few bucks and laps of the field and she calmed right down. She still has her mad half hour each day with the rest of them, but with patience she's started to respect being handled a lot more and even stood like an angel for the vet and farrier yesterday. Firm and consistent handling and a nice routine of going out/in at the same time each day and I'm sure she'll start being better for you :)

lucky7

Visit site
I have a rope halter (pressure halter) and a 15ft line - had it for years and would not be without it! My mare used to do the running and spinning whilst leading, tried it once with the rope halter and she never did it again! worked much better than any chiffany or bridle.....its brilliant for loading in too!