New pony threw daughter - very concerned!

Visit site
I cannot believe that this thread can be genuine, it seems way too bizarre to be true.

OP, if this bizarre story is actually real, then stop everything and return the horse for a refund (who would actually sell a horse like this as suitable for a 9yr old child) or send the horse to a sales livery to sell on your behalf.

If you do not have time to take a child for riding lessons, then DO NOT buy the child another equine.

Take the child to a suitable riding school and let them get plenty of experience, take on a part loan to get experience, get a full loan when they are ready and only then, when they are old enough to take responsibility, then buy a suitable pony. As a parent, you need to support your child fully and if you don’t have time, she needs to wait until she is older and can take herself.

Some lessons at a riding school is not suffice to experience to own a pony/horse. Please do not take on the responsibility of getting another equine.

you don’t need a trainer, this horse is never going to be suitable for a child.

paddy555

Visit site
I'm sorry but I didn't come here from tips for my parenting, I wanted advice about my horse.

possibly you didn't however if you are allowing a 9yo to ride a 17.2 ex racing stallion you clearly need them! if you troll again try a 15hh gelding. It will be more believable. :D OTOH be like every other parent and take the child to a riding school.

can someone tell me how long this school holiday lasts? I hope we are going to get more exciting trolls for our amusement than this one. :rolleyes:

Visit site
I cannot believe that this thread can be genuine, it seems way too bizarre to be true.

OP, if this bizarre story is actually real, then stop everything and return the horse for a refund (who would actually sell a horse like this as suitable for a 9yr old child) or send the horse to a sales livery to sell on your behalf.

If you do not have time to take a child for riding lessons, then DO NOT buy the child another equine.

Take the child to a suitable riding school and let them get plenty of experience, take on a part loan to get experience, get a full loan when they are ready and only then, when they are old enough to take responsibility, then buy a suitable pony. As a parent, you need to support your child fully and if you don’t have time, she needs to wait until she is older and can take herself.

Some lessons at a riding school is not suffice to experience to own a pony/horse. Please do not take on the responsibility of getting another equine.

you don’t need a trainer, this horse is never going to be suitable for a child.

Ok, thank you. I will consult a trainer and see what we want to do. Thank you to everybody who contributed a proper, valid answer or didn't call me a 'troll' or likewise.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Ok, thank you. I will consult a trainer and see what we want to do. Thank you to everybody who contributed a proper, valid answer or didn't call me a 'troll' or likewise.

Do you understand why everyone thinks this is made up? It is ludicrous that any parent, even a totally non-horsey one, would buy a 17.2 thoroughbred stallion for a 9 year old child. If the story isn’t made up sell the horse as soon as possible before your child is seriously injured. That is your only option - there is absolutely no possibility that this horse is suitable for your daughter.

moosea

Visit site
Hi Op,

Sorry you have recived some mean replies on here.

Buying a 17hh ex racing stallion for a 9 year old is an easy mistake to make. Most of us here have probably been is a similar situation - you go to view a sensible cob for your inexperienced child and end up with a huge stallion! Happens all the time.

I would suggest that you buy your stallion some suplements - tumeric may help, but probably better gettting something like a moody mare suplement - this will help convince the stallion that he is actually a mare and may make him eaiser to deal with. Wear lots of pink items when handling him too, maybe braid his mane too.

In terms of stopping him not sure what your daughter tried? did she try shouting ' whooooaaaaa' at the top of her voice?

Good luck and looking forwards to headless photos soon.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi Op,

Sorry you have recived some mean replies on here.

Buying a 17hh ex racing stallion for a 9 year old is an easy mistake to make. Most of us here have probably been is a similar situation - you go to view a sensible cob for your inexperienced child and end up with a huge stallion! Happens all the time.

I would suggest that you buy your stallion some suplements - tumeric may help, but probably better gettting something like a moody mare suplement - this will help convince the stallion that he is actually a mare and may make him eaiser to deal with. Wear lots of pink items when handling him too, maybe braid his mane too.

In terms of stopping him not sure what your daughter tried? did she try shouting ' whooooaaaaa' at the top of her voice?

Good luck and looking forwards to headless photos soon.

?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Honest question.

How do you not have time to take your daughter 40 mins up the road for lessons on safe ponies, but you have time for her to ride a totally unsafe ottb?

Silly question AM, the child tacked up on a step ladder and went out for a hack by herself while her parents were at work.

Winters100

Visit site
Sounds entirely believable to me. I mean so many parents make the mistake of buying 17.2 racehorses for their 9 year olds, and stallions are so much less moody than mares. Of course it usually works out just fine if you give it some time. I suggest sending the horse to a yard where it can be trained. Providing you buy your daughter a series of safe ponies / horses to take lessons on in the meantime it should only take about 10 or 12 years until it is suitable for her. Problem solved!

SOS

Visit site
I don’t know why you are all being so mean. Where do you think all the plots for the horsey films come from? This is clearly one of those ‘based on truth life’ stories. We have just reached the stage where the young girl gets hurt or scared of the horse and isn’t sure whether to persist. How exciting!

OP Id suggest watching the horse whisperer, racing stripes and dreamer. The right trainer will find you, he or she will be a slightly strange and off character, a retired infamous horse person but will fall for the charm of the young girls love for the racing stallion. At one point they will fall out and your daughter will ride the horse bareback in the night. But don’t despair as eventually they will win the big race.