New pony with some bad habits!

liss1987

Visit site
Hi there, iv recently taken on a new pony, a 14.2hh welsh cob x who is very energetic and quite bolshy to handle. He has literally been left in a field the last 9 months and I have taken him onboard with a view of bringing him on and back into work again, hopefully in time to do some very low key local shows later this summer, just to test the water.
He holds himself well and is responsive when out hacking, doesn't spook much, but in the school he can buck, rear and just absolutely loves to reverse! He'd go round backwards in circles forever if he could!
His stable manners are improving, he's not as bolshy and pushy as he was when he first came but I'm struggling with him in the school. Trying to get him to stand at the mounting block and not run off as soon as I'm in the saddle is another problem, but I think we just need to go one step at a time. Everything has been checked except for his saddle which is due to be checked this week, however I don't believe this is a saddle problem, more to do with being out of work and having a very timid previous owner who let him do as he pleased and spoiled h with continuous treats.
How can i get him to work with me instead of against me in the school? As iv said he's fine out hacking but as soon as he's in the school he's a nightmare!
Any suggestions?

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I would avoid the school just now, and school when out hacking. Then slowly introduce the school by warming up/cooling down from a hack. Don't ask for to much initially, just calm, and keep sessions short and positive.

liss1987

Visit site
At the moment we are only schooling when back from a hack as if I do it before a hack he goes a bit crazy. After a hack he's a little more chilled. I'll keep at it and keep the sessions short and sweet and hopefully he'll stop resenting the school as much :)

liss1987

Visit site
I mainly only hack with him but do try once a week to school him to get him back into shape I'd like to add

Highlands

Visit site
Would lunge and long rein in school. From a dually or something like that and do some ground work teaching him to stand, back and generally set some rules. Then start leading and standing up to a mounting block. Be fussy one foot move and back him back into position. Reward with a rub if good not food sounds a bit like mine will mug for food if given any chance. Get his back and saddle checked just in case! Good luck.

liss1987

Visit site
Good idea highlands! I'm
Not sure he's ever been lunged so well see how that goes! Haha! He needs to learn some manners badly! :)