New Puppy and The Cat

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We may be shortly getting a new puppy, pending approval.

Can anyone give me some tips on introductions between the pup and our cat?

Arizahn

Visit site
Depends on your cat, really. Ideally, you should be able to leave the cat to sort out everything, but if it is a nervous cat, then introduce them gradually, and make sure the cat has somewhere to retreat to - perhaps behind a dog gate. The cat can then decide when and how it interacts with the new arrival :)

(Of course the cat will actually choose the most high spot in the room, via the most worrying route possible. If you can arrange to have chicken or similar to hand, it will be useful as a bribe.)

Provided that you discourage the puppy from chasing or cornering the cat, and keep it away from the litter tray, they will probably reach their own agreement within a week or so. Just don't try to force introductions, as that will only end up with either you or the puppy injured by the cat, and the cat hissing at everything that moves from where it is now living on top of the curtain poles :D

Good luck, there is nothing you can really do aside from supervise and keep the puppy out of mischief. Puppies are great, you can train them. Cats are a law onto themselves. But bribery and lots of grovelling may help.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, I suspect grovelling will play a big part in the situation...

Cat is a bit nervy, but lived with dogs prior to me getting her - so hopefully the whole process won't be too much of a shock for her!

Hedwards

Visit site
well my cat dealt with the situation herself... a swift swipe of her clawed paw, saw pup off and pup has had upmost respect for her ever since... (pup will be 4 this year) - although when she came home pup was teeny tiny. However as others have said allow the cat an escape route, discourage pup from chasing etc.

Possum

Visit site
Will be following this with interest having just brought a small dog into the house with our slightly nervous cat. So far there's still a barrier between them but I can see the cat getting braver each day. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

NellRosk

Visit site
What kind of pup are you getting? It depends on the type of dog how they'll react. We've always had terriers that want to chase the cats and have to be put in their place but after observing a bearded collie pup with a cat was astonished to see that she was scared of it!

NellRosk

Visit site
It's a Bichon Nell.

Cute fluffy puppy pics are compulsory :D But yeah I would just let them get on with it and not force any situation, your cat may feel a bit put out for a few days but I'm sure after some treats and grovelling will come round in typical haughty cat fashion.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Oh, a new puppy, how exciting! :D

Personally, it depends on the puppy's size, and both the puppy's and my cats personalities, what I do when I come home with a new puppy.

If the puppy is small enough so that it can't jump up in the furnitures, if it has a reasonably calm temperament, and the cats are reasonably confident about themselves, I choose to not do anything special at all, without the puppy spends its time either wandering freely or in a puppy pen.
If the puppy is big enough to get up into the furniture, if I think that the puppy might be a little to eager to try and chase the cats, or if I think that the cats will feel unsure with the puppy, I divide the rooms where I spend most of my time into two halves, using compost net. That way, the cats still have access to a lot of their territory, and they can observe and get used to the puppy on their own terms.

I don't have a picture from the times when I've divided a room into two, but I did a google image search, and e.g. I found these photo which shows what I mean

980524_9_20.jpg

a08470fb-cb58-4e03-912b-08419d05c032big.jpg

smilla_qaxi_jobbet.jpg

But I've tried to place the net, so that some of my furnitures are inside the puppy area, and some not.

samlf

Visit site
When I got my first pup the cat we had was pure evil with dogs bless him, took one look at the pup and showed him who was boss. Every time he saw the cat he used to yelp and hide!
With a nervous cat I'd make sure the pup was under control and not allowed to chase and it was a positive experience for both.

This is also probably the best video I've ever seen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7znI_Kpzbs