New puppy joining household and older dog - hints please?

Tobiano

Visit site
As title - we have a 3 year old cockapoo bitch (Pip) and my daughter is getting a labrador bitch puppy in the summer for her 21st birthday. Any tips on keeping the peace in the canine household? We have worked out that we should first introduce them in neutral territory (the boyfriend's house), and support Pip in being the top dog e.g. feeding first etc, and I plan to pay very little attention to the puppy so that Pip won't get jealous…. obviously they will have their own beds and bowls and what not but are there any more tips any of you have please?

galaxy

Visit site
I added a puppy to the household last year. Older boy was 5. We introduced them in the garden. I kept a long line on my older dog in case he was too playful and scared pup, but all was ok.

I'd recommend stair gates and crate for pup so they can be seperated for time out.

Bellasophia

Visit site
With the size difference in breeds I'd definitely feed in separate rooms so each can eat in peace...in our case the little schnauzer is the greedy one and puts pressure on my st poodle...in your scenario it will be the opposite.
Safety gates on the stairs( to protect the labs joints..)
I'd have the pups area as the kitchen,gated,so your little dog continues to have free run of house until the lab is trained.

Tobiano

Visit site
brilliant thank you! Yes, we will resurrect the stair gates that we used when Pip was tiny and the plan is for the new puppy to have a crate - Pip doesn't use a crate but sleeps in her dog bed or (oops!) my bed. Yes Bellasophia we have already clocked that as Pip often leaves food and comes back to it, we need to keep hers separate as I have never known a Lab who could leave food! Thank you!