New puppy

On the Hoof

Visit site
So I am very excited as I will soon be getting a brand new BC puppy (hopefully piccy below sorry if too big ). It is over 20 years since I had a puppy – all my dogs since then were rescue dogs so Im as anxious to get it right as I am excited to have a puppy. I am also new to BC’s , its been my life dream to have one but have never had enough time until now to take one on. Hoping that we might do agility.
I see in the ‘stickies’ section that there is a recommendation for reading, but if anyone else has any other recommendations, particularly BC specific I would be grateful to hear from you. I always feel more prepared if I have something to read!
I have hopefully found a local dog trainer which does puppy foundation classes and am waiting to hear if there is space for us. What else do I need to do before puppy arrives? I shall start looking at the house from puppy level at the weekend to start puppy proofing process. She will arrive in 4-5 weeks.

first piccy of Dottie.jpgfirst piccy of Dottie.jpgfirst piccy of Dottie.jpg

albeg

Visit site
No help on what else you need to do, it's also 20 years since I had a puppy (and I was still in primary school so I mainly looked after the playtime and morning feeding 😂), but she's very cute, congrats!

Clodagh

Visit site
She is beautiful. Just remember puppy stage doesn't last long, and enjoy the good bits as at least once a week for the first few I say we are never getting another one.
Like a child or a horse, just set her up to succeed and if she doesn't do what you ask it is always because you haven't explained it clearly enough. Everything she does now, which is cute, will it still be cute when full grown?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My go to puppy book is The Perfect Puppy by Gwen somebody. I just think it's easy to follow and covers all the bases.

Also she's too cute and I'm officially broody. Lol.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
very good article CC......makes sense. mine is 3/4 border collie and is very sensitive, i sometimes have to shout at my terrier(what a surprise) and my collie hates it especially if it is indoors...i only have to explain something quietly to my bc once and that behaviour is then set in stone. the terrier on the other hand, needs to be told lots of times , he is a bright boy but likes to be a free spirit...

on the hoof, she is very cute....i found it quite a shock when i got my terrier puppy as i had forgotten how much hard work it is at the beginning. its well worth it though. good luck

Fiona

Visit site
I still think 'After you get your Puppy' is the best book ever...

Have you booked some time off work, the first couple of weeks are very full on...

Fiona

On the Hoof

Visit site
She is beautiful. Just remember puppy stage doesn't last long, and enjoy the good bits as at least once a week for the first few I say we are never getting another one.
Like a child or a horse, just set her up to succeed and if she doesn't do what you ask it is always because you haven't explained it clearly enough. Everything she does now, which is cute, will it still be cute when full grown?

good advice thankyou

On the Hoof

Visit site
I still think 'After you get your Puppy' is the best book ever...

Have you booked some time off work, the first couple of weeks are very full on...

Fiona
|I retired early in February so have all the time in the world and have made sure no hair, dentist or other appts are booked in for a month

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Oh my goodness, she's gorgeous. I have a rough x border collie and she seemed to come trained at birth, she was always wanting to do the right thing. I remember reading somewhere, that because collies are working dogs and love to have a job, in their free time, they prefer a quiet, calm environment. This was certainly true of our puppy, she was a sensitive soul and probably would have been anxious in a household where there was discord or too much noise. That said, she absolutely adores weekends when family come to stay and is overwhelmed with excitement by the small grandchildren.
Collies are fabulous dogs, my girl is my personal trainer. Just watching her love of our hikes through woods and fells, keeps me going for miles and miles.