New riding hat advice please!

champ500

Visit site
I recently had a very welcome tax rebate so I'm thinking of treating myself to a new riding hat. I've always worn Charles Owen skull caps but I'm thinking of getting something slightly smarter and slightly lighter, although I'm not totally averse to getting another.

I was hoping people could tell me what hats they have and if they could recommend any in particular. Obviously I'm going to go and get fitted and buy it from my local tack shop - only way to do it! I like the look of the AYR8s and the more 'modern' hats with fixed peaks, but I have always wanted a velvet one, but not sure.

I do mainly hacking, schooling, the odd local show and am hoping to get out hunting again this winter, and obviously would love more than one hat but funds do not allow.

Any recommendations very welcome! Thanks.

Squiggles on Paper

Visit site
I would say go to the tack shop and find what fits you best and what you like the look of best as certain hat styles that you like may not fit your shaped head :)

indie999

Visit site
I would say go to the tack shop and find what fits you best and what you like the look of best as certain hat styles that you like may not fit your shaped head :)

Agree above.Yes I went along to buy a nice expensive hat as a treat and ended up with the cheapest harry hall as it was the most comfy. My son Charles Owen but even though we were the same size I didnt like his hat my self. Its very personal & you just go and try them all! Good luck though.

tubby1

Visit site
I agree with above try a few styles & see what fits. Sometimes it can be hard to find a tack shop with a few different manufacturers. I have tried buying on the Internet but it costs a fortune to send them back .

SuperH

Visit site
I like skulls as they are so versatile and suitable for most occasions. I've always had Charles Owen skulls in the past as they were the best fit, however when I changed my hat this spring none of their range fit at all, don't know if they have changed the style or if my head has changed shape. I ended up with the only hat that fit, a HS1. It is quite comfortable but I am a bit worried I may overheat in this weather, we will see.

Chunkie

Visit site
Ive just bought an Ayr8,and it's lovely and light, fits me well and is comfortable to wear. I don't really rate the ventilation though.

becca1305

Visit site
What about the velvet version of the gatehouse conquest? Its light, has ventilation that does work, isn't ridiculous £££ and I think they look nice on :). If it suits your head shape of course!