New round here

Beddwyn

Visit site
Hello! New around here, but hoping to be fairly active, and am always willing to learn new things about horses and riding.

I used to ride from the ages of seven to sixteen, but then lost touch with my last riding instructor. Although I had plans to look for another riding school, life got in the way, and from then on, I didn't have much to do with horses.

Last year, I started volunteering at a local branch of the RDA (Riding for the Disabled association.) So far, have enjoyed being there, although did lose my confidence slightly when one of the ponies nipped me. Have since regained my confidence, and am leading in lessons.

Yesterday, got asked if I wanted to ride in a lesson. Decided to go for it, since didn't really have anything to lose! Rode B, who at 14.3 is currently the biggest pony there. Just warmed him up for the first ten minutes before the riders arrived, which meant I got the chance to get used to the feeling of sitting on a saddle again. Was asked if I wanted to trot, but no, I didn't.

Took part in the lesson, which went alright. Did have some trouble halting, but that was due to me not having a good enough contact on the reins!

Anyway, short version of this is: Haven't ridden for eleven years, just got back in the saddle yesterday!

Starzaan

Visit site
Goodness me, I volunteered and was an instructor there for yonks. If my beautiful Molly mare is still there, do give her a kiss from me. She was such a toad when she arrived - I spent many long hours persuading her that RDA was her thing, just so I could spend more time with her! Do give my love to Mo - tell her Robyn said hello!

Welcome to the forum!

Beddwyn

Visit site
Goodness me, I volunteered and was an instructor there for yonks. If my beautiful Molly mare is still there, do give her a kiss from me. She was such a toad when she arrived - I spent many long hours persuading her that RDA was her thing, just so I could spend more time with her! Do give my love to Mo - tell her Robyn said hello!

Welcome to the forum!

Ah, I see! No, Molly isn't there any longer. Will make sure to tell Mo - I'm sure she'll remember you! Thanks for the welcome.

@Faracat: Thank you for the welcome!

Beddwyn

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, and well done on helping out with RDA, very rewarding. What are your plans with riding then, hoping to do more or enjoying the handling more than riding?

Thank you for the welcome! With the riding, I'm hoping to find somewhere to have regular lessons again, which might be tricky (can't drive yet), but if they want me to ride at RDA again, then I'd be willing to. I do enjoy handling the ponies slightly more at the moment.