New RSPCA video advert

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Not seen the advert but not a fan of RSPCA. Only this morning I saw a post regarding a Cane Corso abandoned chained to a lamp post, finder had called RSPCA who had refused to come out. Similarly a police report today about a raid on a local farm by police and Council animal welfare team. Locals had been contacting RSPCA about this farm for many months, yes RSPCA may have been involved with this raid but they didn't exactly hurry, animals left to suffer all winter .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Farms in England are the responsibility of the local council, I understand. The RSPCA have no authority to enter a premises and if the farmer wouldnt talk willingly and the council weren't acting there was probably nothing the RSPCA could do but keep bugging the council until they acted.

Visit site
One of our neighbours collapsed at work last week and is in hospital. She had a very old dog who was very unsteady on his feet. She is refusing to contact anyone, so another neighbour has been going to see to the dog 4 times a day. He can't do this long term so contacted the RSPCA. They told him they would come and assess the situation, seal all the door locks so he couldn't gain access, and then come back in 48 hours to remove the dog ! He contacted a small local rescue who came out immediately and were going to take the dog straight to a vet to be examined.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Farms in England are the responsibility of the local council, I understand. The RSPCA have no authority to enter a premises and if the farmer wouldnt talk willingly and the council weren't acting there was probably nothing the RSPCA could do but keep bugging the council until they acted.
The RSPCA can pass concerns about farm animals on to DEFRA who will go out and check on the animals. The council don't usually have the appropriately qualified staff to physically check. They are more in charge of the paperwork, such as RS licensing.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
One of our neighbours collapsed at work last week and is in hospital. She had a very old dog who was very unsteady on his feet. She is refusing to contact anyone, so another neighbour has been going to see to the dog 4 times a day. He can't do this long term so contacted the RSPCA. They told him they would come and assess the situation, seal all the door locks so he couldn't gain access, and then come back in 48 hours to remove the dog ! He contacted a small local rescue who came out immediately and were going to take the dog straight to a vet to be examined.

So the RSPCA were following legal guidance before seizing a dog and the local charity weren't. Not the RSPCAs fault.

reynold

Visit site
There have been any number of threads on this forum over the years citing instances where the RSPCA have been asked to help and basically done nothing. The standard response on here over the years has become to advise posters to call either WHW or BHS (or Bransby).

I'd rather give money to almost any of the large animal welfare charities such as Blue Cross, PDSA, WHW, etc than ever donate a penny to the RSPCA.

The fact that the charity chosen by authorities to take in pets when an owner is taken ill is the RSPCA is the main reason why, after my last dog died, I did not get another dog. I have health problems and the thought of any pet of mine ending up in the 'care' of the RSPCA concerns me.

As for the new advert a lot of farmers are very up in arms about it.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It was an RSPCA inspector who let my friends two shetlands out of their bare patch and into a lush grass field. Both had to be put down less than a week later.
What rationale did the idiot give for that? I hope your friend took legal action, as the RSPCA have no more right to enter your land than your neighbour, or a passing stranger, has.

Sealine

Visit site
I'm another unfortunately who wouldn't give a penny to the RSPCA. My experience with them was quite a few years ago and the case is too complicated to get into on a forum but they were more interested in threatening and prosecuting people than getting a good outcome for the animals involved.

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have yet to meet any RSPCA staff worth their wages. A terrible, useless joke of a charity who often cause more harm than good.
Whereas I have met a good few good ones, the foot soldiers rather than those higher up the pecking order.

A former farm manager who retrained as an RSPCA inspector, plus the staff at the equine part of RSPCA Gonsal Farm animal centre in Shropshire. I have twice fostered young rescue ponies from Gonsal Farm, and found them to be very professional and sensible to deal with. One of them had previously worked on the yard of a very respected horse dealer who I had bought a horse from.

I haven't seen the ad.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
I wish the RSPCA would just pick an area to focus on and stop trying to be something they are not. It’s not what they do or don’t do that annoys me, it’s that they are pretending to be the police force for animals and they just can’t be. If they’d be more honest about their ‘powers’ people wouldn’t be so critical of them and if they didn’t get involved in things that they can’t influence anyway, they’d have more time for actually helping animals.

The inspectors I’ve met don’t seem very knowledgeable at all and just appear to drive around looking like they are doing something useful.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Great advert.

There are good farmers and rubbish farmers, cheap meat has a huge cost to the animal. At last the RSPCA are truly questioning how we use/abuse animals. I can accept it might be very uncomfortable for some to face their ethics on this.
I can't see how donating to the RSPCA is going to stop hedgehogs getting run over, or snails being trodden on. Cheap meat certainly does have a cost to the animals involved, which is why I think we shouldn't import it. I'm not sure how the RSPCA can do much about that either.
Incidentally I am quite comfortable with my ethics as I only buy high welfare/organic/
pastured/free range meat. And the RSPCA have had no input into that decision either.

canteron

Visit site
I can't see how donating to the RSPCA is going to stop hedgehogs getting run over, or snails being trodden on. Cheap meat certainly does have a cost to the animals involved, which is why I think we shouldn't import it. I'm not sure how the RSPCA can do much about that either.
Incidentally I am quite comfortable with my ethics as I only buy high welfare/organic/
pastured/free range meat. And the RSPCA have had no input into that decision either.
I don’t think it’s aimed at people like you. I am pretty sure it’s trying to make a lot of young urban people understand what choices they are making … hopefully their choices will be nearer to yours after watching the ad!

Kaylum

Visit site
All rescue charities have to act within the welfare law which is not fit for purpose. You cannot just seize an animal. It's very complicated and you have to act within the law. The rspca do not have many equine welfare officers and their equine rescues are usual multi agency ones. If the law was revised with proper consultation this would really help. In most cases it's persuading an owner to sign over their animal. Dealing with the animals is a minor part of the job. Dealing with people is a major part of the job. Many hours of paperwork and communication is required behind the scenes. Even vets have to tread carefully in rescue situations.

meleeka

Visit site
All rescue charities have to act within the welfare law which is not fit for purpose. You cannot just seize an animal. It's very complicated and you have to act within the law. The rspca do not have many equine welfare officers and their equine rescues are usual multi agency ones. If the law was revised with proper consultation this would really help. In most cases it's persuading an owner to sign over their animal. Dealing with the animals is a minor part of the job. Dealing with people is a major part of the job. Many hours of paperwork and communication is required behind the scenes. Even vets have to tread carefully in rescue situations.

None of the laws we already have are enforced, so I don’t see any point in making new ones. Until the responsibility for animal cruelty is taken out of the RSPCA’s hands and acted on by the police and councils, nothing will improve.

reynold

Visit site
and when RSPCA stops spending money on lawyers and KCs they'll have more cash available to use for their core remit - i.e. animal welfare. My solicitor costs £325 per hour and I'd hate to think what the hourly rate is for KCs!

Also, the 'law' doesn't seem to stop other national animal welfare charities turning up to welfare cases reported to them....