New RSPCA video advert

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It’s good ad ,the ad agency has done well, its communicates the ethos of the RSPCA and where it’s going well .

Can't agree, sorry. The objective of them advertising is presumably to raise money, and I wonder how many people want to donate to stop a fly being swatted or a snail being trodden on? Alternatively, if it's intended to educate the public to treat all animals with respect, do people want their donations spent on this education? And if they do, then how are we supposed to control flies in the kitchen and stop ourselves accidentally treading on invertebrates under our feet? And if it's education, is it fair to use farming images of cows in a pen unable to move for overcrowding, which was simply a moment in time when the cows were mustered waiting for foot trimming, TB testing or vaccination?

Goldenstar

Visit site
A
Can't agree, sorry. The objective of them advertising is presumably to raise money, and I wonder how many people want to donate to stop a fly being swatted or a snail being trodden on? Alternatively, if it's intended to educate the public to treat all animals with respect, do people want their donations spent on this education? And if they do, then how are we supposed to control flies in the kitchen and stop ourselves accidentally treading on invertebrates under our feet? And if it's education, is it fair to use farming images of cows in a pen unable to move for overcrowding, which was simply a moment in time when the cows were mustered waiting for foot trimming, TB testing or vaccination?
It depends how you look at it, it has a clear message it communicates well , and it’s effect well that depends what effect they wanted .

Burnerbee

Visit site
The ad, my perspective on it anyway, is asking people to consider all animal life as important. We need wildlife, without it life on earth would collapse pretty rapidly - people don’t know/ think about that - increasingly people think provided they have access to a drive through fast food outlet, TikTok and credit, all will be well. Yes, I’m stereotyping/ wildly generalising but you get my drift. I think they’re trying to engage with people to get them thinking. Will it work? A bit, hopefully, maybe. Who knows.

I didn’t used to have much opinion on Chris Packham but now, as I see insect populations crash, bird populations crash, sea life populations crash and very few people actively standing up publicly and demanding attention toward that, I think he’s a legend.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Again what was the brief .
My view is that it’s unlikely to be as effective at raising hard cash as ads showing cats and dogs being rescued .
But was that the brief .
Are they moving to phase concentrating more on other things . I don’t know .
They are having a funding crisis it’s an insanely expensive charity to run.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The ad, my perspective on it anyway, is asking people to consider all animal life as important. We need wildlife, without it life on earth would collapse pretty rapidly - people don’t know/ think about that - increasingly people think provided they have access to a drive through fast food outlet, TikTok and credit, all will be well. Yes, I’m stereotyping/ wildly generalising but you get my drift. I think they’re trying to engage with people to get them thinking. Will it work? A bit, hopefully, maybe. Who knows.

I didn’t used to have much opinion on Chris Packham but now, as I see insect populations crash, bird populations crash, sea life populations crash and very few people actively standing up publicly and demanding attention toward that, I think he’s a legend.

Stopped listening to CP when he said horses where ruminants he does not know as much as he thinks he does.

Abacus

Visit site
It’s a terrible advert both from the point of view of what they are trying to say (which isn’t clear) and the creative effort (and I work in advertising, specifically looking at getting the right message to the right audience). This is an unholy muddle. They have mixed up things that are undoubtedly wrong (the worst kinds of intensive farming or abuse of domestic animals) and things that are just unfortunate (squashing hedgehogs and snails). They haven’t tackled the cause of the real issues - supermarket control of the supply industry or the COL crisis making it too difficult for most people to be principled about what they buy. Creatively it’s awful; a mix of styles (singing animals, cartoons, black and white footage). They haven’t said what we can do about the problems - be kinder to animals where it’s in our control? Buy differently? Donate, and if the latter, what would they do with the money?

palo1

Visit site
Maybe I interpreted your post wrong, but I read it as they were communicating that they really aren't interested in genuine animal welfare issues .
Me too! The ad is also irresponsibly infantilising of both viewers and the victims of cruelty, neglect, unintentional squishing etc. But I suspect that was done to make it appealing to sentiment rather than facts/sense...

Fred66

Visit site
The ad reinforces my choice not to donate to them, which is presumably the opposite of what they were aiming for.

I used to donate regularly, they used to care about animal welfare more than politics. However their focus changed and this ad reinforces it.

And please don’t get me started on CP, as I have to turn over if he comes on the TV for health reasons (my blood pressure can’t take it).

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
It’s good ad ,the ad agency has done well, its communicates the ethos of the RSPCA and where it’s going well .
Well I must be extremely thick then because I found it difficult to work out what they were trying to say. I don’t donate to them with money as I feel they waste it but I do take any unwanted dog stuff like beds, blankets, collars etc to the Wethersfield branch as I feel that would help that branch.

SO1

Visit site
I like the advert but it is sad that adverts like this are needed. I don't think it is about raising funds for the RSPCA I think it is more about awareness raising and trying to change people's perspectives and attitudes towards animals.

I think a lot of people don't know what has happened to get their meat or eggs on the table or don't want to know. This is not about people on the forum but about the general public.

It is quite farm based and the RSPCA are not known for their farm animal work. I think when most people think of the RSPCA they think of companion animals.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well I must be extremely thick then because I found it difficult to work out what they were trying to say. I don’t donate to them with money as I feel they waste it but I do take any unwanted dog stuff like beds, blankets, collars etc to the Wethersfield branch as I feel that would help that branch.

IF the advert sought communicate where the RSPCA is gong with its energies then surely it was effective .
You can’t work out exactly what they where saying I don’t blame you because it’s change of direction verses the popular and successful campaigns have seen recently .
Their past campaigns tended to be very clear along the lines of Swan stuck in wire , dog left in flat, poorly homeless kitten call us, some figures to illustrate the scale of the need, then please give us money.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I like the advert but it is sad that adverts like this are needed. I don't think it is about raising funds for the RSPCA I think it is more about awareness raising and trying to change people's perspectives and attitudes towards animals.

I think a lot of people don't know what has happened to get their meat or eggs on the table or don't want to know. This is not about people on the forum but about the general public.

It is quite farm based and the RSPCA are not known for their farm animal work. I think when most people think of the RSPCA they think of companion animals.

I think most people donate to the RSPCA because of their work on companion animals and this advert risks disrupting that as I said further up the thread it’s an insanely expensive charity to run .

Backtoblack

Visit site
I'm happy that they are getting the general public to think about farm animal welfare via the ad. Thousands of farm animals live in appalling conditions,caged hens, broiler chickens, zero grazed cattle and lambs born outside in terrible early spring weather, factory farmed pigs and locally ponies bred for meat and kept inside all winter in disgusting filth in a barn,scared and unhanded. The general public need to be made aware so they can find meat from more humane sources,or become vegetarian.

SO1

Visit site
I think most people donate to the RSPCA because of their work on companion animals and this advert risks disrupting that as I said further up the thread it’s an insanely expensive charity to run .
It is not always about money though. Part of their charitable remit may be about education and raising awareness and I think the video does this and appeals to a younger generation.

If people want to fund companion animals there are a lot of charities out there that do that too Blue Cross, Cat Protection, Dogs Trust, World horse welfare. If you want to help improve welfare for farm animals they are less well represented. There are growing numbers of people for whom farm animal welfare is becoming more of an issue. Who do these people donate to? I would like to see battery farming banded there is no valid reasons for keeping chickens like that.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
It is not always about money though. Part of their charitable remit may be about education and raising awareness and I think the video does this and appeals to a younger generation.

If people want to fund companion animals there are a lot of charities out there that do that too Blue Cross, Cat Protection, Dogs Trust, World horse welfare. If you want to help improve welfare for farm animals they are less well represented. There are growing numbers of people for whom farm animal welfare is becoming more of an issue. Who do these people donate to?

There are a few petitions out there regarding farm animals and if the RSPCA were highlighting farm animals I don’t think the ad is hard hitting enough to get through to people . I would have liked more emphasis on telling us which farm produce we should be buying and educating people on how the right products can be found, I.e. the red tractor symbol

SO1

Visit site
There are a few petitions out there regarding farm animals and if the RSPCA were highlighting farm animals I don’t think the ad is hard hitting enough to get through to people . I would have liked more emphasis on telling us which farm produce we should be buying and educating people on how the right products can be found, I.e. the red tractor symbol
I agree but I expect the actual truth might be too shocking to be put into an advert and then people might not watch the advert. It is a start though. The advert needs to be cute enough for people to watch. Making some of the animals annimated does that.

They are also rebranding as this is their 200 year anniversary.

It is quite common for charities to do rebrands or campaigns to celebrate anniversaries. I prefer the old branding.

I really do hope the RSPCA do more for farm animals there is a gap there I think apart from Peta who are too extreme for many people to support I don't know of any other charities that represent farm animals.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The trouble with organisations like PETA is they put an odd photo up and it’s not always right. Recently there was a photo of a farmer carrying a new born lamb and they said how cruel to separate mum and baby, then someone put the whole video which showed the 2 being put out in the field with the rest of the herd . I know calves are taken from mothers so that would have been true if they had shown cattle instead of making things up..

Abacus

Visit site

If people want to fund companion animals there are a lot of charities out there that do that too Blue Cross, Cat Protection, Dogs Trust, World horse welfare. If you want to help improve welfare for farm animals they are less well represented. There are growing numbers of people for whom farm animal welfare is becoming more of an issue. Who do these people donate to? I would like to see battery farming banded there is no valid reasons for keeping chickens like that.
Traditional battery farming was banned in 2012. However the legislation made little difference to the area available per hen in the newer 'enhanced cages' (hens can have as little as 1m sq per 9 hens). I get my hens from a rehoming sanctuary and presumably they were kept in these conditions. They arrive without many feathers, red and raw, with pale damaged combs. It's the sweetest thing to watch them growing their feathers back and pecking around the yard. You have to be so careful where you get eggs from (I realise this is a tangent from the thread, apologies). But on the ad, I don't think it goes into enough detail about any one issue, including this, to be clear on what they are saying about it (and raise awareness as you say). It's all wrapped up in this fluffy 'respect' branding.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Completely agree. I think I've worked out strategy now and this advert of the first step in that.

Collecting money for companion animals and money to fight legal farm practices is a awkward fit under one charity. I suspect they may be planning a move away from the companion animals, on the basis that they are well covered by other charities or soon would be if they stepped away. I get the impression that their horse work, for example, is largely transferred to WHW these days. That would also relieve the RSPCA of the enormous costs of prosecution, and let them move away from being seen as bad guys prosecuting ill and old people.

I suspect in the short term this will create a horrendous hole in companion animal welfare because I don't see the CPS (or another charity) stepping up to finance these cases any time soon.

But as part of a long term strategy to rebrand the RSPCA for a younger audience, concerned with ecosystems and factory farming, the advert now makes perfect sense.