New saddle dilemma - differences of opinion!

Expo

Visit site
My ID cross has just turned 8, in medium work (hacked or schooled 3-4 times per week) and is fit and well muscled with a decent top line. My current saddle fits OK (been checked) but isn't great for me - it's a fairly forward cut GP which is fine for hacking and popping a few low fences (I don't really do jumping!), but I would prefer to ride on straighter cut dressage saddle for our schooling sessions, as I feel that I'd feel more secure and balanced sitting straighter with a longer leg. I would also like to go to a few low level dressage comps in the summer. So, I want to buy a new one. I have been recommended to an experienced saddler locally, but some people are telling me to wait a year/not waste my money/manage with what I've got/look for something second hand which would fit - because the horse will change shape "dramatically" over the coming months as we progress with our schooling. My argument is that we can't progress with our schooling as well as I'd like because, I feel insecure and unbalanced in my saddle!!

So, WWYD? Will the horse really turn into an elephant in the next year :) and should I continue to "manage"? Or should I invest in a new saddle now and risk it not fitting my dramatically different shaped horse in a year's time? Given the financial outlay involved, I need to make the right decision. GAH!!!!

throwawayaccount

Visit site
if you feel insecure/unbalanced in your saddle it will affect the horses way of going as much as its effecting you,

get a new saddle if you are able, a reputable/master saddler will be able to source you one that fits both you and your horse.

i've just had a new saddle for my gelding and it fits us both perfectly, horses do change shape but ours is able to be adjusted so that helps :)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
You could always add in some groundwork to really lift the thoracic sling - will help your flatwork no end, and will get those changes to happen asap, without you struggling to school well in your GP. The fit for the rider is much more important than many people realise and you will be hampering him.

I would find a good recommended fitter that works in a way that appeals to you, and they may be qualified or non-qualified, work with them, and take their advice as to what the best path is for you and your horse. A saddle isn't just a tool, saddle fitting is a partnership, the fitter so often being at least as, if not more, important than the actual saddle chosen at that point in time. You will still need a fitter for a second hand saddle, they usually can advise what to look for, or may be able to supply one. If a new saddle would be a bad idea (even a used one) then they'll tell you and help you with an alternative plan. I often lose customers right at the go-get because I say their horse isn't ideally placed for a new saddle.

And a master saddlER is qualified to make and repair saddles, not to fit. I know it's common parlance and don't blame anyone for using it interchangeably with saddle fitter, but it's utterly confusing and doesn't help the industry to progress.

Last edited:

Abacus

Visit site
I think it's worth having the right tool for the job at any point. Even if it means an interim second hand (but of course well fitting) saddle, and you won't lose a lot of money when you sell it on. Actually I prefer second hand anyway...

onemoretime

Visit site
Have a look at the Andrea Hicks saddles. I have a lovely dressage (Affinity) and what I call my GP which is a VSD (Very Slightly Dressage) cant remember the name of it, and love both of them. These saddles come in 8 different width fittings so can be fitted to a range of horses. The quality is very good and they are not over priced like so many.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Omg is that what VSD stands for?! I’ve always wondered ? mind blown

(I also have an AH saddle and love it. Waiting for pony to be fixed and build up some money post maternity leave before treating myself to a dressage).

onemoretime

Visit site
@onemoretime Ebony (square cantle, wide channel) or Elite (round cantle, standard channel) VSD :). Thank you for the mention and yes, they do indeed fit a wider range of horses than just the oft quoted cobs and natives.

Its the Elite, I remember Sam calling it that now you mention it. I love it. I cant get my leg over the dressage saddle because I am too stiff and broke my hip a few years ago but my pro rider uses that and competes our mare in it. Its a lovely saddle.