New saddle for my PRE, any suggestions

littleshetland

Visit site
At some point in the near future I'll be getting a new saddle for my PRE. Ive been recommended Luisa Cuomo saddles and Hulsebos.
Does anyone have experience of these makes? They certainly look lovely on their respective websites, or can anyone suggest another make that would possibly suit?
The horse in question is fairly typical Spanish shape, he's short through the back and well developed shoulders. I'm quite tall - 5'10",and have always fitted well in a 17.5 size.
Ive always liked Ideal dressage saddles and currently ride him one of those and he seems ok, but Ive just got this nagging feeling that I could, and should find him something better.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I think many brands do offer saddles that can fit Iberians well, Ideal included, but they are a slightly tricky shape in that they are very wide at the base of the withers compared to the actual wither shape, they're short backed, and sensitive. I think so much is down to the fitter so I'd want a good recommended fitter to start, and someone who understands those issues, whether they've fitted loads of Iberians or not. Louisa has the bonus of really fitting the rider (though she does it very differently to me, completely different types of saddles) which we're realising is just as important, to a much more fundamental level than we've been doing, as fitting the horse.

Shinx

Visit site
My PRE isn't a really tricky shape like some of them are but very short backed so the difficulty was finding a saddle that fit us both. Tried loads of different saddles and the bates artiste fits him like a glove (and me too!). I like having an adjustable gullet as well.

If your saddle fits and you're happy with it, no need to upgrade, I reckon.

sbloom

I think it can be worth experimenting. So many customers who book in with me either say "he seems to like his saddle but..." and either a. I hate it as a rider or b. but I'd like to find something that helps him relax his back more....or I go out, they try something else and realise how much better their horse can go. If you can afford a good fitter to come out, explain the situation, it's interesting to see what you can achieve.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I know the feeling. I think my PRE is now the shape sbloom described -- her withers have a clear shape to them, not flat like the Highland's, but they are wide at the base. I'm muddling along with my TreeFree saddle for now and a Chris Lamfelle endurance pad. But I'm not in love with it all.

Just waiting for her to mature into a more stable shape before I spend ££££££ on a new saddle. I also don't know if I want a more traditional English saddle or something weird.

A saddle fitting query: if a fitter only works with a few brands, and none of those seem to suit a horse, are they able to access or at least recommend one that might?

ImmyS

Visit site
Not sure where you are based but I would highly recommend Jane Randall - Bay Saddlery. She has Spanish horses herself, is a fab fitter and an all round lovely person.

sbloom

A saddle fitting query: if a fitter only works with a few brands, and none of those seem to suit a horse, are they able to access or at least recommend one that might?

You're not really expecting a gospel answer to that are you 😄? As always it depends. Even I, with my two brands, can sometimes suggest other options, but really can't access anything else and won't have deep knowledge on anything other than what I stock. On the flip side there are fitters who claim to know in depth the 10+ brands they stock, similarly any brand they're checking, but every fitter has preferences and greater knowledge in some areas than others. Make sure you have an in depth chat before booking anyone .

littleshetland

Visit site
My PRE isn't a really tricky shape like some of them are but very short backed so the difficulty was finding a saddle that fit us both. Tried loads of different saddles and the bates artiste fits him like a glove (and me too!). I like having an adjustable gullet as well.

If your saddle fits and you're happy with it, no need to upgrade, I reckon.
Yes, Ive heard Bates saddles seem to suit them quite well, but when I rode in one I wasn't that keen for myself, but perhaps I should maybe give them another try.

Shinx

Visit site
Yes, Ive heard Bates saddles seem to suit them quite well, but when I rode in one I wasn't that keen for myself, but perhaps I should maybe give them another try.
Each model is very different so worth trying a few. I didn't get on with the Isabell Werth model but I did like the Innova, which I borrowed from my trainer for quite a while before I bought the Artiste. The Artiste blows them all out of the water in my opinion and I could ride in it all day, but a friend of mine found it uncomfortable -- just goes to show that what suits one person won't suit another!

j1ffy

Visit site
Ideal saddles fit my old boy really well, just about anything else made him sore eventually so don't write them off. I currently have a Black Country dressage and a Fairfax jump for my boy. I'm not sure the Black Country is perfect now but it's done well enough while he's been growing and changing shape.

MagicMelon

Visit site
My (now retired) Luso x TB had the big shoulder action and was short backed. He wore a WOW with 16" panels and a 17" seat (which I needed). Seemed to work well, his shoulders could move underneath as opposed to other saddles I tried which blocked him.