New splint but no lameness?? Normal?

BeckyD

Visit site
My horse last night (Monday) came in from the field with a bony small lump just under his knee on his near fore, where a splint would normally form. It's quite a pointy/sharp bump. He's not lame (trotted up on concrete) and there's no heat or swelling. No sign of cuts or infection. Does this sound like a splint? The vet is going to phone me later to discuss and probably visit, but I'm just worrying. I cold hosed him for 10 minutes last night but I'm not sure if it would have been of any benefit. He's back out in the field today.

My other experiences of splints have always ivolved lameness/swellling and heat at the start. He's a 4-y-o ex-racer in light/medium work and had clean legs on Sunday night. Has anyone else experienced this?

vhf

Visit site
Yes, 2 weeks ago!
Sounds identical - 4yo in light work, but had heavy work in the past. Sound as a bell then and now. Have ignored it completely and so has she.

Caritas

Visit site
Yes i have had a very unlucky experience with my horse and splints. Although most of the time through them forming he has been sound. Ideally you should rest your horse for it to settle as turning out or being ridden causes concussion to the area and can make it bigger. I however have chosen to carry on working my horse as he is a nut on box rest and feel that he will cause more harm to himself by being shut in. My splints have got to be the biggest known to man but the horse is very much sound. The choice is yours really. I have tried all lotions and potions and to be honest with you i have waisted my money. The only way to reduce the size of them is time and no matter how big they are they do settle down. Good luck!!

TGM

Visit site
My mare did this when she was four - splint came up but no lameness. Spoke to the vet and she suggested I rest her for a couple of weeks but keep her turned out. Never had any further problems with it and it disappeared of its own accord after about a year.

BeckyD

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I feel much calmer now. Glad to know it's not such a freaky thing and hopefully not too serious. Phew, breathe again!

Thanks again xx

Daisychain

Visit site
My 4yo mare has had one apear on her hind leg! its hard and doesnt bother her in the slightest, vet said just carry on as normal.

Tia

Visit site
Splints normally appear without event. There is generally no lameness associated.

Tia

Visit site
Splints normally appear without event. There is generally no lameness associated with their occurrence.

georgiegirl2

Visit site
thats slightly worried me! me 4yo threw a splint last week and was absolutely hopping lame! vet did say it was due to splint though and she has been off work and on bute and its probably just very sensitive! although, she did walk into her stable sound tonight which looks promising! going to give her another week before i try and do any work with her just to be doubly sure!

for the original poster.......just read one of my veterinary books upstairs, splints can be accompanied with no lameness at all, lameness at trot, or lameness at trot and walk - therefore dont panic!

Halfstep

Visit site
My 5 yr old was off for nearly two months with a splint. He was intermittently lame in trot, very noticeably so on a circle. The vet had me turn him out as normal to keep him walking on it, and cold hose, ice, etc. The horse came sound and the split didn't get too big (but visible). I was warned to wait until the split is fully settled and non-reactive (no warmth, horse doesn't flinch at all when palpated) before bringing back into work. It was frustrating but I'm glad I gave it plenty time to settle.

BeckyD

Visit site
Hmm. I gave it lots of prodding last night, and he didn't flinch at all. Maybe he's just very tolerant to pain!

There's still no heat and he still seems to be perfectly sound in walk and trot on concrete (though I didn't try a circle). I cold-hosed it for 15 minutes. I'm going to leave him in for a few days as he can go a bit loopy in the field, and I guess if I give him a week off work and just see how we go, and extend that if needs be. He's only 4 and I don't want to do him long-term damage (he's quite capable of doing that himself).

Another lady on the yard said her horse was on box rest for 5 weeks and very lame with splints, so that seems to be fairly common.

Thanks for all your replies.

fireduplee

Visit site
My 19 year old mare was diagnosed with a splint on off fore last week, there is no heat or obvious swelling, but she was lame at a trot. I was told by my vet to turn her out for the summer and re look at her in about 3 months time, she dosnt really seem to be in pain at all unless she trots. It is quite a small splint, took a bit to find it! but i suppose being an older lady, it may take longer to settle.

littlelady

Visit site
my horse has raced in trotting be4 i got her n she has plenty of splints, but i found a new one recently but she dint go lame so i just left it to go down with time, if they dont go lame with it theres no point in worrying about it.