NEW stables!!! WOOHOO

Malibu

Visit site
Soooo excited, as some of you may know, we are having to sort out the stables as we had them made out a few years ago buy this guy who did them very fancy but i would like them bigger etc So after soooooooooooo much hassle, we are just getting brand new ones.

I would like brick but we dont have time for planning permission as the new boy is at small livery few miles away and girl wants the grazing to rest so we are getting wooden stables.
Im sooo excited as i can then i ahve Rupert back at home and less hassle for mum to go to the livery etc!

anyway any advice or things you would get done if you were getting stabled built?

Its only two stables and a tack room/feed room as we already have a big tack room and feed room and will be keeping the other stables for just incase.

thanks in advance

ihatework

Visit site
Lucky you.

I might be wrong in saying this but I'm pretty sure you will need planning permission for even wooden stables.

My horses are kept in a new block of wooden stables and the things I like about ours are that there are talk bars about 1mx1m between the stables, each stable has a smoke alarm linked centrally, there are lots of ventilation slats, the roof is insulated helping keep warmer in winter and cooler in summer.

Parkranger

Visit site
If they've been there over 5 years (I think it is) you get an automatic planning permission - you just then rebuild over what is already there....

Malibu

Visit site
ohhhh ok , so you need PP even if the concrete surface is already present? So what do people do when they build wooden sheds as a wooden stable is more or les a shed?

Bossanova

Visit site
Not really!! You sometimes need PP for sheds anyway. Unless its in the footprint of the old building, you may well require PP-best to check anyway!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If they've been there over 5 years (I think it is) you get an automatic planning permission - you just then rebuild over what is already there....

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost certain that isn't right?!
confused.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
May have changed now but my dad had an extension that had been built without permission before he brought his property - agreed it was before they got strict on PP. I think it had been there 10 years and he got automatic permission on the extension last year.

Malibu

Visit site
ohh, seems my muma is not quite sure , we never had permission for the current stables! I shall have to get my mother to investigate as quite important!

vic07

Visit site
Once they have been there a certain length of time then you can't be made to take them down - depends what area you are in. If you are replacing existing building then you don't need planning I think!

Back windows are really nice as the horses get two views to look at.

Malibu

Visit site
Thanks all for your help. we have two windows in current stables with wire guard which i like, i would like ot get kick boards and metal over door to stop chewing as well oh and rubber matting - dont know what i would do without it , so much easier!

vic07

Visit site
Not sure.

Is there a ruling about building within your garden?

Also can you put up a temporary structure (wooden stables) without pp?

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
You will definitely need planning permission... and they will probably send out an inspector who will then see your old stables which were erected without planning. If they've been up a few years (can't remember exactly how long as it changes every so often) they won't make you demolish them BUT it may/probably will affect their decision to grant you planning on any new ones.

There are rules which allow you to build extensions up to a certain percentage of the size of the current house and garden sheds to a certain size without planning. Stables aren't classed as garden sheds because of the intended use i.e. you will be keeping livestock in them.

An alternative you might consider is to get mobile stables. You can put them on your concrete base but don't need planning as they are not a permanent fixture. However you are supposed to move mobile stables/field shelters every 28 days so if you go down that route and the planners get wind of them they will insist you move them, which is probably not feasible.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Planning law is a nightmare and the pitfalls are many and big if you get caught out.

Weezy

Visit site
As far as I am aware the concrete base has NOTHING to do with anything - it is the actual structure PLUS there are a zillion new rules about equestrian facilities now (read below the "How to kill or injure handlers" or something like that)

I want to take down a small wall on my property - I need PP to do even THAT!

Malibu

Visit site
As long as the stables dont take up 50% of the garden and so many metres from house, 5m away from the house and at least 1.5m from the boundary of your garden then no PP is required!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Not sure who told you that but it doesn't make any difference if they are in your garden. The legislation is complicated but it goes on size of structure, the distance of the structure from your house, the distance from the boundaries of your property, whether your neighbours will be affected by the new structure being in their eyeline or not etc etc.

I wouldn't take any note of what builders say is allowed or not - they generally will say whatever they need to in order to get the work.

Malibu

Visit site
Well i was just told my my mother and also just checked on the internet so will have to inquire. We dont have neighbours. The act just staates that the stable must be in garden, so far from house and boundary and nor 50% of the garden area space or more

Malibu

Visit site
Well im not sure as i dont know anything about all of this but my mum did tell me and its says so on net so i am just trusting that. I know of quite a few people around our area with out PP for wood stables, i am very blonde which si no excsuse for this question but are the legislations different in england and scotland?

Weezy

Visit site
Hmmmm not sure I would take the word of a stable builder! If I put stables in my garden following those rules I think I would have the District Council come down on me like a ton of bricks!!!

Malibu

Visit site
thanks everyone, i think like you said weezy some people would have problems but we have two stables already (garden is big)s o not in little lawn necxt to the rockery! But we live VERY rural and no neighours so i cant see how any problem and the webiste could not have stated that it not true as it is a company webite - they coudl be sued for incorrect info.

thanks all for help