New to horse owning

Guerrero

Visit site
Are you moving him to your house? Will he have any company? And will you have anyone experienced on hand to support you?

Yep he'll be moving with us to the new house which is on a farm (hopefully if we buy the one we're currently looking at) and we're going to get him a little friend. I've got someone helping me look (not much yet because it's a few months off) hopefully for a re-home of a youngish small pony ~10hh, or maybe a bit less,as a companion pony and also so my sister has something to do. At some point we're also going to look at getting my sister a riding horse. There won't be anyone around that I know of yet but there are livery schools in every direction and many people who own horses around that area so it's just a case of making some friends I think. Riding wise I should be fine for the most part and day to day looking after horses I'm also fine with it's just the more on odd occasions stuff and what Ted should know which I'm still learning. It's not everyday you have to buy a horse a bit, i know a little about bits but was struggling to find something that had loose rings, full cheeks and a french link without a more official name (and given that my knowledge is limited I didn't want to change it from what he had, though glad I did now) and then I'm not too confident on illnesses- it's not something I've had to deal with much other than a bit of thrush and lameness. I know of laminitis but not much about it, There are a few 'Lammy ponies' at the RS but I don't have much to do with it other than knowing they need to keep their weight down to stay in work.
(Apologies if this is coming across as 'I know everything', I really don't and know I don't but I'm not completely useless either- everyone keeps saying have someone experienced on hand but not for what exactly and I wasn't sure if I had perhaps given the impression I was completely new to horses rather than just new to owning one.)

Thankyou all- he is beautiful but I am definitely bias :D

He came to my RS when he was about 3 1/2 and before that he worked at a different riding school that worked almost completely as a hacking centre not sure how long he was there for but he's certainly worked a lot, his steering is still awful in the school though; he's happier in a field but I'm only allowed around the edges so can't school him in the fields

9tails

Visit site
It's not everyday you have to buy a horse a bit, i know a little about bits but was struggling to find something that had loose rings, full cheeks and a french link without a more official name (and given that my knowledge is limited I didn't want to change it from what he had, though glad I did now)

It isn't possible for something with full cheeks to have loose rings, they're the direct opposite of each other. You did good, stick with what you know.

NellRosk

Visit site
It isn't possible for something with full cheeks to have loose rings, they're the direct opposite of each other. You did good, stick with what you know.

Yes there is, I broke my mare in with one of these but with a french link instead of jointed. A lovely bit, the loose rings ensure it's not too 'fixed' and they can still have a play with it in their mouth to get the feel of it:

http://www.rideaway.co.uk/cottage-c...purenet_feed&gclid=CLiYns2k4r0CFZShtAoduRMAeg

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Why do you need someone experienced on hand? You've said yourself you aren't good with illnesses, so that's the first point. Someone who recognises the first small signs of, say, laminitis, before the horse develops a full blown attack. Or someone who can say the horse looks a bit "off" so you can deal with a lameness before the horse is really bad. Someone who can help you when he gets bolshy or bargy. I really do hope it works out for you but honestly, taking your first horse home without any experienced help on hand is a recipe for disaster. What happens when he's only got a little pony for company which he bosses around, then thinks he can do the same to you? You said earlier that you don't know what a 5yo needs to learn - it isn't just about the handling. I bought a 5yo 2 years ago and have had horses for a long time, but it was a struggle and I couldn't have done it without the support of my v knowledgeable YO on hand.

Anyway, I do hope it works out for you but do expect some challenges along the way once you take him home.

BlinkGG4

New User
www.teqc.moonfruit.com
As a first point of call now that you have your own horse, I would buy the Pony Club Manual (I notice a couple of people have mentioned the BHS Manual which I haven't seen before but I imagine is very similar). The Pony Club manual covers almost everything you need to know including correct riding, feeding, illness + injury and a whole heap of other useful information. This is an extremely useful book and it should help to keep you working along the right lines. If you look up Pony Club publications, there are lots of other helpful books too and all of them are aimed at a novice audience so should be easy to follow :)

I know you mentioned that you have experience with horses but owning and caring for your own horse (especially a youngster!) is a totally different thing. You are definitely going to need some experienced help! Having said that, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to manage just fine if you go about things in the right way :)

If you have to take him away from his current yard and move him home, you need to remember that this is an enormous and possibly scary change for him. Some horses will move with no problems and be very chilled out about it all, however, other horses will find moving extremely stressful. In some cases a perfectly sensible, calm and safe horse will become nervous, difficult to ride and even dangerous. I'm not trying to scare you here I just want you to be aware that this may happen and that help from an experienced person will be very helpful in this situation.

If you have any questions at all just send me a message, happy to advise and assist where I can! If your parents are reluctant to spend money on a weekly lesson, just remind them that above all else, the lesson is to ensure your safety! You have lots of hard work ahead of you but also some of the best fun you've ever had - enjoy it and good luck! (Do let me know if you have any questions) x

Booboos

Visit site
Why do you need someone experienced on hand? You've said yourself you aren't good with illnesses, so that's the first point. Someone who recognises the first small signs of, say, laminitis, before the horse develops a full blown attack. Or someone who can say the horse looks a bit "off" so you can deal with a lameness before the horse is really bad. Someone who can help you when he gets bolshy or bargy. I really do hope it works out for you but honestly, taking your first horse home without any experienced help on hand is a recipe for disaster. What happens when he's only got a little pony for company which he bosses around, then thinks he can do the same to you? You said earlier that you don't know what a 5yo needs to learn - it isn't just about the handling. I bought a 5yo 2 years ago and have had horses for a long time, but it was a struggle and I couldn't have done it without the support of my v knowledgeable YO on hand.

Anyway, I do hope it works out for you but do expect some challenges along the way once you take him home.

This.

Sorry but first time owner, young horse, no lessons and kept at home is a very dodgy situation. Once you get into trouble it will be twice as hard to train him out of it.

Have you considered the vet for his stumbling? It's really not normal.

Guerrero

Visit site
Thanks :D sorry I can be a bit defensive at times- major character flaw.
I'll see about getting a couple of books, I have a few already but they're more aimed at information on various breeds with only a little on health and keeping of a horse so I could do with some more

I'll see how he reacts to the move, I suspect he won't be himself but I don't think he's going to freak as much as some horses. Could be I work him in hand for a while to get used to things- he's better behaved in hand sometimes particularly if he's a bit upset or spooky. And tiring him out a bit before riding him....

So what does a 5yo need to know? I don't know what to teach him mainly because he can do everything I've asked of him. I've not tried gates yet though because all the gates around here are kept open so that's something he may need to learn.

I am going to get a vet to look at him about the stumbling.

I realise it isn't a perfect situation but it's the best I can do, I can't keep him at a livery yard (I've got no way of travelling other than riding him and condition of getting a horse was to keep him at home) and we're moving quite a distance so we don't know anybody there. I will learn

Last edited:

BlinkGG4

New User
www.teqc.moonfruit.com
Call up the local Pony Club and Riding Club in the area you're moving to. There's always someone who can help! Just drop them an email explaining your situation and they'll advise, more likely than not there will be people for you to ride out with.

pip6

Visit site
Call up the local Pony Club and Riding Club in the area you're moving to. There's always someone who can help! Just drop them an email explaining your situation and they'll advise, more likely than not there will be people for you to ride out with.

Sensible advice, & some good company for you. That you ask what a youngster needs to learn means some guidance would be very helpful, & confidence building for you. Keeping a horse at home alone from being at a rs (not knocking them, where I learnt to ride as well) is a massive change for both of you. Riding is the easier bit, the 'knowledge' of horsemanship takes a lot longer to acquire. As someone on a private farm with only owner for company, I've learnt you need an emergency backup plan & another pair of eyes. That's why owner has me there, we backup each other.

Guerrero

Visit site
I'll give the riding club a ring closer to my moving time.

Just an update about Ted for anybody interested-
He's getting very well behaved - I got him in from the field today and the horse left in the field decided to bronc after I led it back into the field (it escaped as i got Ted out) then galloped along the fence line. In the past when horses in the field have started galloping he would bolt off too but he just stood there looking at me. Then he had a little spook but as he pulled away he stopped and came back before he actually ended up pulling on the lead rope. I think the wind and rain had him wound up.
He's gotten bored with schooling, whenever I took him in the school he got really sluggish and short strided so I tried making it more interesting for him- he did his first go at raised poles and he figured out he can actually pick his feet up and I kept a single fence up so whenever he got something right he got to jump a fence which he rather enjoyed. The difference between his first and last jump were great though- he normally leaves his feet hanging but by the last jump he was tucking them up properly.
He had the farrier come and he trimmed his toes to stop him tripping and he hasn't tripped since (it's only been a few days but I took him to his normal tripping spots and he was fine) We also got him a saddle.
He moved stable and his new stable had coat hooks to hang the rugs up in the stable so I hung the rugs up and came back the next day to find he'd put his head through the head hole (I'd left it done up to hang it up) only he hadn't got it over his back so ended up putting his foot through it and ripping it... clever pony. He also found a muzzle in the field one of the lami ponies had managed to escape from, he carried it all the way back to the yard thinking it was a great new toy.

Guerrero

Visit site
Been a while but thought someone might want to know how I've gotten on so far. (mostly useless post)
Didn't buy the house we wanted ended up at another (better) house. Ted lives in the backgarden with his friend as well as making use of some land oposite the house for extra grazing and it has two stables for shelter. There are 3 other old retired horses kept there in nieghbouring field and the lady who owns them is always around and will help us if needed. Livery yard is 2 minutes up the road so we rent the school some times and a horse trainer works from there so we can have lessons and help with anything that goes wrong.

Ted may only be young but he's done a lot and took moving in his stride. We now go hacking over the moors, through forests and ponds (he was scared of water). We're doing pretty well IMO. He almost completely stopped his napping and is happy going anywhere. He hasn't tripped since moving and has lost some wieght. I've been working on ground manners too as had a problem with him eating grass everytime he stopped when being led, all's good now.
Accidentally taught him to stand still when 'scary' vehicles go past. If a tractor goes past he stopsand waits (he's not scared but I've got a fear of tractors). My sister rode him the other day and scary thing went past so he calmly stepped onto the grass verge until it had gone then climbed down, she was a bit surprized and very confused.#
I've not had a chance to look into endurance riding much (and I can't travel except on horses back and there don't seem to be many rides round me).

thankyou to all who helped.