New to horse world

Jimbob79@

New User
Visit site
Hi all new to horse life....I bought my daughter pony 13.2.
Bought in December and have had stables since then..we had had out on hacks and is very good temperament we involved in pony club. Am wo dering about transation this time of year on turning g out on to grass...I'm anxious about the right time...any does and don't for this

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Does the pony have company Jim? And are they currently stabled full time?

Parrotperson

Visit site
and is the pony settled out on his/her own?

If so carry on and turn out for a bit everyday. The real test will be when the spring grass really starts kicking in. Some ponies (generally depending on breed) can get very fat very fast and are at risk of laminitis, although it isn't just extra weight that can cause it. https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/plus/vet-library/laminitis-in-horses-signs-treatment-57937

You can always divide your field into much smaller areas (with electric fencing for example) to restrict grazing and you may be able to turn out 24 hours come the nice weather but it all depends on your particular pony!

You're already in Pony Club so don't hesitate to ask other more experienced horse owners about things you're not sure about.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is stabled full time... has no company...have started to turn out to grass just for few hours per day.

There a lot not to like in this, I'm afraid, Jimbob. I don't want to go into it too much without asking why the pony has been stabled full time since December and why it has no company. You should have been given better advice on this than it seems you've had, but maybe there are reasons for the situation. But there's no getting away from the fact that horses are herd animals, and most really need company of their own kind even if they don't outwardly show the stress they experience when living alone as an animal where the last member of the herd is the lion's next breakfast.