New to riding - any tips please!

Montyforever

Visit site
New to riding but not new to horses so don't worry about getting too technical. I've owned horses for 6 years, been around them for just over 10 years. Watched loads of lessons but for various reasons haven't really ridden myself. Between anxiety, brain infections causing bad balance and not having the right horses/people around me (or spare cash after my princess pony has drained all the pennies! :p) i just haven't plucked up the nerve or medical issues have just made it impossible. I've stuck to groundwork for a very long time (and had a go at driving which i loved! But sadly cant afford lessons/driving pony)

But thanks to a friend on the yard getting a forward going but safe welsh cob (the lovely Louie) that is the perfect size for me. I had my first lesson on him yesterday :D the plan is to have weekly lessons on him so long as i can physically do it (various issues, but my horrific balance and dizziness is probably the most difficult)

Instructor is my yard owner and friend so knows my limits/problems etc and is a brilliant instructor. Haven't really done much other than walk yet, taking it slow and steady. Funnily enough after stressing for years over how bad my balance would affect me in the saddle it hasn't actually caused a problem yet and anxiety vanished after the first 5 minutes. Well aware it will probably pop up soon but so far so good!

So has anyone got any helpful tips/words of wisdom?
Or any good ways to ease my achey legs? :p

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
This sounds exciting for you - what about a grab handle attached at the d rings at the pommel to use when you feel a wobble coming on - better than steadying yourself on the reins and some folks find a neck strap can be too far away to find quickly...other than that don't forget to breathe and take it as slow and for as short/long as you feel comfortable. Achey legs need a deep bath and gentle exercise the following day. Have fun Montyforever.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
This sounds exciting for you - what about a grab handle attached at the d rings at the pommel to use when you feel a wobble coming on - better than steadying yourself on the reins and some folks find a neck strap can be too far away to find quickly...other than that don't forget to breathe and take it as slow and for as short/long as you feel comfortable. Achey legs need a deep bath and gentle exercise the following day. Have fun Montyforever.

Hot, deep bath for the aches!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Epsom salts bath to relax muscles, do what you're comfortable with, and make sure your hat is in date and a good fit, and consider a BP, wearing one can give you confidence! Well done too, a really big step, so glad it's working out.

oldie48

Visit site
First of all, well done and just enjoy every minute! Aches are good, they mean you are using muscles you haven't used enough in the past, they'll soon go. I always have a neck strap, actually never used it but it makes me feel safer and that's good for me. Everyone who rides has their limitations and we are all on a very long journey, why not focus on what you can do and try to find ways round the things that are more challenging, actually, that's what I think we all do. I'd love to hear more about your journey, so keep posting and pics would be great. i wish you the best of luck!

Montyforever

Visit site
Thanks all! Definitely going to invest in a bp at some point. Went out and got a hat a couple of weeks back that fits with the current safety standards so all good on that front :)
Had a neck strap for my lesson as Louie's in a Pelham so last thing i want to do is hang on the reins, didn't have to grab it at all though in the end! But will probably keep it there just incase, he's such a good boy but will help me psychologically if nothing else!

I think the lessons will be the best thing for the anxiety.. Got no time to think about it, too busy :p the last couple of times I've been on its just been a mooch up the road on a very backwards horse so lots of time to worry myself silly!
Have to double check in the picture front, not my horse so wouldn't post without permission :)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My tip would be, if you are considering a BP to go the whole hog and save up for an air Jkt. They are just lighter and less restrictive and might be better if you get dizzy spells. It is only a thought. I really hope it works out.....I love my lessons!! I had one tonight working on my position and my young horse's balance......gonna be stiff tomorrow..... :)

Montyforever

Visit site
My tip would be, if you are considering a BP to go the whole hog and save up for an air Jkt. They are just lighter and less restrictive and might be better if you get dizzy spells. It is only a thought. I really hope it works out.....I love my lessons!! I had one tonight working on my position and my young horse's balance......gonna be stiff tomorrow..... :)

That's what i was thinking of doing :) my conformation is rather dodgy :)p) so be surprised if i can find one that's comfortable!

3OldPonies

Visit site
My tips - have fun, don't worry about what anyone else thinks (apart from your instructor obviously LOL!), don't over do it and keep a stock of Deep Heat or Ralgex for achey muscles.

One of those arrestor thingies might help if you're feeling wobbly. Its a sort of strap that connects to the saddle and you hold one end in your hand. I can't remember how you spell the name though. The advantage over a neck strap is that you don't have to move forwards to grab it, because you already have it in your hand, so that might help a bit if you are getting dizzy due to movement. You can't lean on it either, so it will help your core stability over time.

Good luck with your lessons :)