New to showing...

showaddy1

Visit site
My partner has just bought a big coloured mare, would like to try a bit of showing as not well enough to compete (me not mare).
Would a man wear tweed, long black boots or brown boots?
Her tack would be a gp black saddle with hunter bridle..
She will not allow us to pull her mane (yet) so need ideas there too.
Will try to add pics.
Thankyou in advance :)

LaurenBay

Visit site
My partner has just bought a big coloured mare, would like to try a bit of showing as not well enough to compete (me not mare).
Would a man wear tweed, long black boots or brown boots?
Her tack would be a gp black saddle with hunter bridle..
She will not allow us to pull her mane (yet) so need ideas there too.
Will try to add pics.
Thankyou in advance :)

With her mane will she let you rake and cut it with scissors? Not as neat but will still be able to plait up ok.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes tweed and long black boots shirt and tie, the tack sounds fine for local showing brown is more correct if doing county level, is she the build of a cob or lighter built? If she is a hunter type she should be plaited tail pulled, if she is a cob heavy build you could hog and clip have you got any pictures?

showaddy1

Visit site
Big hunter, no feathers... If someone could tell me how to upload - can't be that difficult surely?? Maybe because I'm on my phone.
I thought tail pulled... I'm going to need lessons in that.

ozpoz

Visit site
There are classes specifically for coloured horses and ponies and they usually split into traditional/native type, where you would want to see as much mane and tail as possible and sport/ridden type where you would have a short,plaited mane and generally turn out as you would for a hack or hunter class, depending on the type of horse you have.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
with regard to the mane and tail ive just had an e mail from clippersharp showing mane and tail rakes , not cheap but sounds like they would do the job without causing a problem if she is touchy.

rara007

Visit site
One solution to the mane is to sedate her and pull it to within an inch of its life at the start of the season. A show hunter really does need decent plaits to not stand out.

anglo

Visit site
To be honest , I dont think you can tell the difference between a dark brown or black saddle / bridle once rider is on .